Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA closed my account.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by V9
Yes, he vanished. I don't understand his problem. All he said is that he could not log into his account. Talked to CS. But not to MP.
Maybe he just mistyped his PIN or pswd.
THAT'S IT!!!
By gosh finally the answer to the OP's prayers.
Everything they're accusing him of was just one BIG typo!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Or maybe he's too busy with work to check back in. It's only been 2 days.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by northpole999
Internal politics aside, you could tell the company that you cannot participate b/c (1) you have your own private MM account and you're not allowed to have two accounts, and (2) this practice violates the terms and conditions of MP, and is a crime in several states incl. CA and probably under federal fraud statutes (at least one federal judge has referred to it as fraud).

If internal politics are too hot, you could always report to United that the company is using it to give out bonuses and rewards. Good luck.
Yea. I did that (1) and (2) exactly. Basically leveraged UA's policy but was told that 'United is aware' and then two, if you don't like it, maybe this isn't the right place for you. I even considered sending a formal ethics complaint in to our office but my VP -suggested- I move on. Not worth losing a job over what I can get on a Chase signup. (Not sure I'd call it 'fraud'. Their take is they bought the ticket, not you, and thus they own the rewards. It completely clashes with UA policy that says the flyer owns them..but again... what you going to do?)

I actually blame UA more than my company. My company is in it to reduce costs. It's UA's responsibility to protect their program (a they have done in this broader thread) and to deliver the value proposition it is designed to do.

I'm never one to advocate suing since you'll never outlast the company, but if anyone ever got into a case where UA said they gave/bartered rewards, you could always try to leverage concepts like my situation against them.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by phranticaw
Yea. I did that (1) and (2) exactly. Basically leveraged UA's policy but was told that 'United is aware' and then two, if you don't like it, maybe this isn't the right place for you. I even considered sending a formal ethics complaint in to our office but my VP -suggested- I move on. Not worth losing a job over what I can get on a Chase signup. (Not sure I'd call it 'fraud'. Their take is they bought the ticket, not you, and thus they own the rewards. It completely clashes with UA policy that says the flyer owns them..but again... what you going to do?)

I actually blame UA more than my company. My company is in it to reduce costs. It's UA's responsibility to protect their program (a they have done in this broader thread) and to deliver the value proposition it is designed to do.

I'm never one to advocate suing since you'll never outlast the company, but if anyone ever got into a case where UA said they gave/bartered rewards, you could always try to leverage concepts like my situation against them.

Well, if you are in CA or any of the other states where this is clearly illegal under criminal fraud statutes, I wouldn't want to be their general counsel trying to defend any action against you, direct action or unofficial. Ordering an employee to be complicit in what is criminal act and punishing him for whistleblowing, well I don't think even Daniel Webster could get them off for that.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by phranticaw
Say the company's policy instead were "When you have accrued enough miles you must use those miles for your next business trip" instead of using them for some other traveler? Would that violate any MP policy?

BTW, what prevents you from switching out to your personal MP number after the reservation is made?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Mileage Plus account "temporarily closed"!?!?!?!?!?!

My partner cannot log into his Mileage Plus account, or reset his password. When he called, they said his account had been "temporarily closed" and that he had to call some lady in Chicago to sort it out. He called her and got voicemail. What the heck is going on? Has anyone encountered this before?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Have you sold miles or upgrades to others or engaged in any other shady practices with the MP account?

You need not answer the question here, but if the answer is yes, that might explain it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:08 pm

He upgraded me on a flight. Not shady -- I'm his partner!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bklink
Anything besides that?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bklink
That shouldn't trigger a problem, unless he upgraded you fairly often and there was no indication of your relationship. (giving the appearance that he sold you the upgrades).

I didn't think the new UAdbaCO was cracking down on flyers like PMUA did.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:48 pm

Nothing other than that one -- he sponsored one regional upgrade for me on a flight PHX-ORD. That was a few months ago and he hasn't logged in much since, as we have been flying other airlines. Maybe it was the upgrade combined with inactivity ?

Btw, the voicemail message that answers says "United Airlines corporate security". Will he ever get his account back? This is freaking us out!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
sounds like a fraud investigation

A previous thread discuss the process - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-account.html
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
They suspect something nafarious going on.

You can do nothing until you speak to them and they decide if your account and transfer activity is on the up and up.

You will just have to sit tight, and consider what else you did to tick them off. Either you are innocent or you are guilty. It is up to them to decide.

If they are happy they will restore you. If they are NOT they will close your account and you will lose all your saved MP miles.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:23 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandesa
You will just have to sit tight, and consider what else you did to tick them off. Either you are innocent or you are guilty. It is up to them to decide.
They do shut down accounts for third-party fraud-- that is also a possibility.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If what you are saying is true bklink, you have no need to worry. Just call them back again or wait for a call back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.