Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA closed my account.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:26 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Often1
Analogies don't work in tax law and this issue has been dealt with by IRS and Congress. There is an uneasy standoff.

The answer is that to the extent that the travel which earned the miles was paid for by a third party, generally an employer, the fair market value of the award is taxble income. The uneasy truce is that so long as the "miles" have $0 value, and the t&c make the explicitly clear, there is no effective way to value the miles for income purposes.

The poster is correct that the miles have $0 value to a FF member, but are carried on the books of the carrier at a rough value calculated on the average way in which they are used.
After pss day (3/3) UA gave each employee the option of a "thank you" gift of 25,000 miles. I choose to not accept the gift. It came with a tax liability of more than 1.5 cents per mile. I think it came to somewhere between $50-150 in tax burden. Again, not sure tge actual liability, but it was at least 50 bucks.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Have followed your posts for a long time. All I can say "bad things happen to good people" and trust me I have plenty of examples myself. Glad it worked out for you as it did for me after all.
Thanks bro, I was miserable for 3 months and to ticked off for I had bought a ton of award accelerator for some first class redemptions in the coming months. I tallied up what the value was for all miles/ upgrades/ ect and it was about 15k.

So once an account is investigated it can turn out positive I guess the moral of the story is.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by schley
Without getting into the specifics. I had my UA account frozen and investigated 2 years ago. I did a trade on CC with a veteran FTer who traded me some fraudulant UA ecerts or flight credits (never found out which) to book my dad and brother a domestic flight. Long story short we tried to check in with bags and it was like a sting with the agent saying to my dad and brother talk to this person on the phone. They didn't know what was going on as they said I arranged the flights for them. Because I got on the phone to try and figure it out they froze my account along with theirs just because I said I arranged it with a friend. I wasn't even traveling on his certs/credits. I had to buy full fare Y tickets for both of them to travel right then, or they weren't going.

I have over 500k miles, numerous upgrade certs and ecerts frozen for almost 3 months. I called numerous times and they could only tell me I was being investigaged and they said I will be contacted when they were complete with their investigation. I was emailed 3 months later and my account reinstated.

I reported this to the mod's of CC and they banned him for 3 months or more I believe. The trade partner is still on FT and still posting. He still has 800 in compensation he owes to me outstanding. This thread just brought back bad memories.
What a nightmare. I am sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by davewang202

On the topic of the "limiting upgrades to 5 people" thing, that seems like a good way to start. As long as there's a way to say, change out 1 or 2 people per year for your "fav 5", and if you have to sponsor/gift awards to someone outside the "fav 5", just call the CS lines and explicitly explain who these one time exceptions are. Then all other times when you sponsor/gift awards or upgrades to the fav 5, the airline knows that you're okay and leave you alone, then that seems to be an acceptable way to handle it.
TG and PG do this and it's awful. The only thing the limitation does is restrict your freedom to ticket family/friends. It does limit the selling of miles, it also limits legitimate usage of those same miles.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by phranticaw
Happens all the time. My company sets up a unique FF account for each person. When I have enough miles in my account for a ticket, they'll use it for whomever they like in the company. I think it violates the terms but who knows, and clearly UA knows it is going on and doesn't want to jeopardize the account.

double standard, or course....but what you going to do.. other than to choose another airline!
Internal politics aside, you could tell the company that you cannot participate b/c (1) you have your own private MM account and you're not allowed to have two accounts, and (2) this practice violates the terms and conditions of MP, and is a crime in several states incl. CA and probably under federal fraud statutes (at least one federal judge has referred to it as fraud).

If internal politics are too hot, you could always report to United that the company is using it to give out bonuses and rewards. Good luck.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by schley
Without getting into the specifics. I had my UA account frozen and investigated 2 years ago. I did a trade on CC with a veteran FTer who traded me some fraudulant UA ecerts or flight credits (never found out which) to book my dad and brother a domestic flight. Long story short we tried to check in with bags and it was like a sting with the agent saying to my dad and brother talk to this person on the phone. They didn't know what was going on as they said I arranged the flights for them. Because I got on the phone to try and figure it out they froze my account along with theirs just because I said I arranged it with a friend. I wasn't even traveling on his certs/credits. I had to buy full fare Y tickets for both of them to travel right then, or they weren't going.

I have over 500k miles, numerous upgrade certs and ecerts frozen for almost 3 months. I called numerous times and they could only tell me I was being investigaged and they said I will be contacted when they were complete with their investigation. I was emailed 3 months later and my account reinstated.

I reported this to the mod's of CC and they banned him for 3 months or more I believe. The trade partner is still on FT and still posting. He still has 800 in compensation he owes to me outstanding. This thread just brought back bad memories.
You just brought back sad memories for me. I used CC around 3 years ago and traded something for Avis certificates. They were paper certificates with Serial Numbers and I had to call in and give them the serial numbers to make the reservation. When I showed up, Avis detained me and called the police, it was also like a sting. Fortunately the police didn't arrest me, but Avis accused me of using "Stolen" certificates and in the meantime would not let me rent, closed my account, and wrote a letter to my employer (Corporate Wizard #) stating I was caught using stolen Avis certificates. I spoke to an investigator from Avis and she said that the certificates I used were internal promotion certificates and a box of them was stolen and mine were form that batch. I explained exactly how I got them, and eventually they let me rent again. It hurt for a while because the company I worked for at the time would not reimburse me unless I rented from Avis. Fortunately my VP had a good laugh about the letter from Avis.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
This thread reminded me of this article:

The frequent fliers who flew too much
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Originally Posted by davewang202
The "prove your innocence" thing in dan1431's case would've left a bad taste for me if it happened to me. I am however quite willing to cooperate with the airlines if they have a legitimate concern to enforce the T&C line items.

On the topic of the "limiting upgrades to 5 people" thing, that seems like a good way to start. As long as there's a way to say, change out 1 or 2 people per year for your "fav 5", and if you have to sponsor/gift awards to someone outside the "fav 5", just call the CS lines and explicitly explain who these one time exceptions are. Then all other times when you sponsor/gift awards or upgrades to the fav 5, the airline knows that you're okay and leave you alone, then that seems to be an acceptable way to handle it.
The 5 people thing would be a big problem for me. I arrange travel for my extended family.... in-laws, siblings, all their kids etc. I also have 4 kids and a wife who would be the 5 if forced to designate... but right now when someone comes to me with a last minute need and the fare is high I use the miles to get them where they need to go. If the fare is reasonable we buy the ticket. Upgrades go to elderly and those on long flights, rarely to me. I have probably cashed in miles and upgrades for 15 or 20 different people over the years out of my account and my spouse/kids' accounts -- no money ever changes hands, it's all just a family/close friends thing. Never been investigated but if I was would be more than happy to explain who each person is and why I gave them the miles. That seems better to me than an arbitrary 5-person limit.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by SunLover
The OP appears to be accumulating miles indirectly (not BIS) not sure if this has any influence on the situation or not.

SunLover
A perusal of various forums around the Internet, including ones here on FT, reveals many people with hundreds of thousands or millions of miles accrued solely through credit card offers.

I would suspect such accounts receive far more audit activity than those of us who earn our miles by actually flying.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Joshua
A perusal of various forums around the Internet, including ones here on FT, reveals many people with hundreds of thousands or millions of miles accrued solely through credit card offers.

I would suspect such accounts receive far more audit activity than those of us who earn our miles by actually flying.
Why?

I get most of my miles that way, all it takes is having business spend and deciding to put it on an airline rewards card. I regret doing it on DL but it's worked out well on CO/UA.

Airlines seem pretty happy to sell those miles to CC companies, and they actually get hard cash for them.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
This thread reminded me of this article:

The frequent fliers who flew too much
"Golden Ticket" indeed.

Those two dudes found a fabulous (albeit illicit) way to make money with their passes. I'll bet the IRS will want to talk to them about the undeclared income as well.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by zombietooth
"Golden Ticket" indeed.

Those two dudes found a fabulous (albeit illicit) way to make money with their passes. I'll bet the IRS will want to talk to them about the undeclared income as well.
Yes they did. That was quite a story.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joshua

Originally Posted by raehl311
Why?

I get most of my miles that way, all it takes is having business spend and deciding to put it on an airline rewards card. I regret doing it on DL but it's worked out well on CO/UA.

Airlines seem pretty happy to sell those miles to CC companies, and they actually get hard cash for them.
Exactly. During all the years the airlines bleeding from their flying business, the FF program is the only business section they make money via selling miles to all sorts of partners.

Those who think BIS miles worth more are in delusion. Airlines make far more money in selling miles (and charging auxiliary fees) than actually flying passengers. Read the annual reports if you dont believe.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
And, like every other thread like this - the OP has vanished.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:01 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
OP's problem?

Yes, he vanished. I don't understand his problem. All he said is that he could not log into his account. Talked to CS. But not to MP.
Maybe he just mistyped his PIN or pswd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.