Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA closed my account.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paullevi
Maybe United should impose some sort of "nominee" program like SQ's KF where you a fixed menu of people who you can sponsor and there are restrictions and/or costs to modifying the list.
I really hope this does not happen. Do we really need to give them more ways to charge us? I can't even imagine the issues that the website/IT would have in implementing it.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by zombietooth
When he threatened legal action, they told him that they could no longer communicate directly with him but could only communicate through their lawyers.
Good Luck.
Which is why you should never threaten to sue or mention lawyers, even if you're talking to your lawyer. The employees then have no choice but to stop dealing with you and hand it over to the legal department.

By all means, engage your lawyer, but don't tell them you're doing this. Laywers are good at working the phone and getting to the bottom of things fast.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Maybe United should impose some sort of "nominee" program like SQ's KF where you a fixed menu of people who you can sponsor and there are restrictions and/or costs to modifying the list.
Actually, this is a good idea. It would definitely cut down on the sale of awards/UG instruments.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I have been here a long time, and I don't remember any of these threads that ended with "so they apologized and gave me my account back." In other words, my memory is that notwithstanding lots of arguing in the threads, when all was said and done, it was like Zombietooth's friend - guilty as charged. Anyone remember different?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
That a 1K MM risks his lifetime status to sell upgrades on Ebay just blows me away. On bloody ebay???? WTH was he thinking?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
That a 1K MM risks his lifetime status to sell upgrades on Ebay just blows me away. On bloody ebay???? WTH was he thinking?
He wasn't thinking. People do stupid things all the time . . . far stupider than this and you'll see it on the news every day.

People just get too greedy and arrogant sometimes.

The story is completely believable.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: Costco Club
You say you're going to complain to the BBB about United.

I wish people would stop thinking the BBB is some amazing thing. The BBB can be bought. Businesses don't care about the BBB and it's wildly inaccurate. A lawsuit is far more effective in most cases. The BBB is a joke, I wish consumers would stop threatening (and actually) to complain to the BBB.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
I have been here a long time, and I don't remember any of these threads that ended with "so they apologized and gave me my account back." In other words, my memory is that notwithstanding lots of arguing in the threads, when all was said and done, it was like Zombietooth's friend - guilty as charged. Anyone remember different?
Nope! No happy endings.
The OP's just sort of fade away!
However, in the meantime there are mucho back yard attorneys that lead the charge on FT, all of them without any facts or the info required to make a sound judgement or proper knowledge to make an assessment.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by miikkak
Don't forget that company and the owner(s) are completely different entities from legal point of view. Whether money has been transferred etc is probably irrelevant as the company has received indirect benefits... Would be completely different if you had booked flights for friends and family (and you are able to prove this).
corporations are people my friend lol
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
He was selling upgrades. But, he thought he was careful enough and that his anonymity was protected. He thinks that maybe UA provided documentation to ebay that selling upgrades/miles is against their TOS and that ebay "ratted him out".
More likely a UA employee posed as a buyer and bought one of his upgrades as a way to identify him.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by woodway
More likely a UA employee posed as a buyer and bought one of his upgrades as a way to identify him.
They do that & they also question the passengers, sometimes. If the buyer happens to spill the beans, and state that they paid for these tickets and/or upgrades that triggers problems. Once they get wind of sales it's very easy for them to go back and research everything in the sellers past.

The OP wasn't hollerin' too much so I suspect that he knows why he's been suspended, and a phone call during the week may answer his questions. The call will come from someone that has nearly ALL the facts so beware!

BTW, this is the best advertising that UA can get. A guy gets busted and posts it on FT, and as others have stated we've never heard of anyone winning.

Last edited by LilAbner; Aug 19, 2012 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan

I wish people would stop thinking the BBB is some amazing thing. The BBB can be bought. Businesses don't care about the BBB and it's wildly inaccurate. A lawsuit is far more effective in most cases. The BBB is a joke, I wish consumers would stop threatening (and actually) to complain to the BBB.
After six months of fighting with Cingular, including all the regulators, etc, the only thing they responded to was a BBB complaint, and resolved the issue in a couple of days.

If it was not for that complaint, I would probably still be fighting them.

So while it may be a joke, this time at least it worked.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan

One of the main things the BBB does is rate how responsive the merchant is to complaints. A BBB complaint can be very useful if you keep trying to resolve an issue with the merchant, but you can't seem to break through the bureaucracy and get your case in front of someone that can understand the situation and has the authority to resolve it. This doesn't mean that it automatically gets resolved in your favor, if your case has no merit (even if you think it does).
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by july07
I did some research by google. It seems that UA will cancel the booked ticket at the last minute when you check in and charge you the full price. This is unfair!!!
july07 - you've responded several times to this thread, but never directly answered the question: did you sell or barter the award tickets or upgrades you redeemed from your account to another party? That's the matter at hand. As others have already noted in this thread, we've seen posts similar to yours many times over the years, and not a single time did they end with "they accused me of selling an award, but I didn't." That particular issue is either ignored, or responded to with something like "They have no proof of that" or "I should be able to do what I want - they're my points!"

If they want to close your account, at least they have to tell you ahead of time. I never think that a big company such as UA has no credit like this.
If you did indeed sell your award, did you tell UA ahead of time that that's what you were going to do?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Well they kinda sorta have, through the switch to the continental.com-based site. You create profiles for everybody you've redeemed tickets for, and they are then offered in a drop-down menu when you redeem online. This is actually a change I like - for the honest user, this makes the redemption process easier.

Originally Posted by Steve M
july07 - you've responded several times to this thread, but never directly answered the question: did you sell or barter the award tickets or upgrades you redeemed from your account to another party? That's the matter at hand. As others have already noted in this thread, we've seen posts similar to yours many times over the years, and not a single time did they end with "they accused me of selling an award, but I didn't." That particular issue is either ignored, or responded to with something like "They have no proof of that" or "I should be able to do what I want - they're my points!"

If you did indeed sell your award, did you tell UA ahead of time that that's what you were going to do?
To be honest, if any of the OP's actions are in a part of the grey zone, I don't blame them for not disclosing any compromising admissions here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.