My Suitcase Got a Free Facelift From UA

Subscribe
When I got to my destination yesterday, my bag was the first one to come out. I did not recognize it on the first round - a sticker and a tag that I had on the bag that have helped me identify my bag from distance were both removed.

I can see if I have barcodes or things that can confuse the baggage sorter, they should be removed. However, a 4 inch yellow HKIA tape and a EVA Air name tag were removed.

I acutually once had a discussion with an agent who insisted on removing a name tag from another airline as it "would confuse the baggage handlers".

Now I have to figure out how to decorate my bag again
Hasn't happened to me just yet... I have 2 HKIA stickers, security stickers from Dubai, KSA, and Indonesia on mine. We shall see if they clean mine up, which I hope they don't. Picture below:

Just happened to me. My bag was lost, and when it was returned, I found a CO ID tag had been ripped off (), and an ANA tag had been ripped off. At least they didn't rip off my CO Plat tag....
Where were you flying from? I've seen this very frequently by the contracted checkin agents in various Asian airports. They seem to have been trained to spot any "leftover" status tags or other airline stickers and remove these.

I've had that happen to me several times in HKG, SIN, BKK and PEN.
Quote: Where were you flying from? I've seen this very frequently by the contracted checkin agents in various Asian airports. They seem to have been trained to spot any "leftover" status tags or other airline stickers and remove these.

I've had that happen to me several times in HKG, SIN, BKK and PEN.

No where near Asia. The bag was checked from IAD-ORD-MBS. It was lost in ORD, and that's where the "vandalism" must have occurred.

As a side note, does anyone know where you can find those cheap CO ID tags?
Quote: However, a 4 inch yellow HKIA tape and a EVA Air name tag were removed.
Quote: I found a CO ID tag had been ripped off (), and an ANA tag had been ripped off.
The tags often get caught in the gaps on the conveyor belts. Don't jump to the conclusion that the baggage handlers go out of their way to pick off luggage tags just to piss off customers.
I was flying SFO-DEN-MSN once and the DEN-MSN got canceled and I was re-accommodated the next day, but my bag was sent DEN-ORD-MSN. When I got to MSN my bag was there before I was, and when they got it form the hold it was covered with all kinds of stickers that it never had originally. They were all Chicago themed stickers, presumably for kids or tourists. I found it mildly entertaining and they all peeled off very easily. And yes, it was my bag, with all of its contents. I think someone in ORD was just having fun.
Quote: The tags often get caught in the gaps on the conveyor belts. Don't jump to the conclusion that the baggage handlers go out of their way to pick off luggage tags just to piss off customers.

For one I would believe it. But the ANA carry on tag was a sticker, like a checked bag tag. I don't think it could have come off the easily.
Your flight wasn't canceled, your bag traveled with you and it was first off the plane. I'd say that's a good day of travel on UA. Sad how low the standard has become to determine what makes a good day of flying UA.