EWR-SFO 3 class service?

Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

EWR-SFO 3 class service?

Anyone else notice recent 3 class service on the EWR-SFO leg; not all flights, but certainly some? Not accustomed to this so just wanted to see if this was an indication of things to come or just a fluke.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:44 pm

Believe the plane is doing CDG-ORD-SFO-EWR-SFO-ORD-CDG.

The IPTE 763 F suite on a domestic route is the one thing that still keeps me loving UA. Knowing you're flying in the best seat in the US skies feels quite nice.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Believe the plane is doing CDG-ORD-SFO-EWR-SFO-ORD-CDG.

The IPTE 763 F suite on a domestic route is the one thing that still keeps me loving UA. Knowing you're flying in the best seat in the US skies feels quite nice.
Does UA sell it as 2-class or 3-class domestically ? Since it's not classed as p.s., is it UDU-eligible (although i'd imagine people go out of their way to apply instrument/miles for that flight) ?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 787fan
Does UA sell it as 2-class or 3-class domestically ? Since it's not classed as p.s., is it UDU-eligible (although i'd imagine people go out of their way to apply instrument/miles for that flight) ?
It is sold as 3-class. It is CPU-eligible (those rules are based on market, not equipment).

Originally Posted by eagle007
Anyone else notice recent 3 class service on the EWR-SFO leg; not all flights, but certainly some? Not accustomed to this so just wanted to see if this was an indication of things to come or just a fluke.
Given UA is dropping F from p.s. (a domestic market that actually can support 3 cabins), it is not an indication of things to come. UA would rather have the plane flying than sitting on the ground somewhere between international turns.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:18 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by eagle007

Have you noticed it only EWR-SFO or the other direction as well? Do you recall the flight #? I would happily rearrange my schedule when I fly SFO-EWR-SFO for this.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:44 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am on this flight in C in two weeks. I'll report back if nobody reports by then.

I suspect, the service will be 100% identical. The only difference is the seat.

Also, the 3-class on this route is temporary and it will be replaced with one of the reconfigured ghetto birds by the end of the month.

Originally Posted by sb3
Have you noticed it only EWR-SFO or the other direction as well? Do you recall the flight #? I would happily rearrange my schedule when I fly SFO-EWR-SFO for this.
I am showing the international configuration flying on the following flights:

UA465 SFO-EWR
Dep: 7:40am Arr: 4:16pm

UA550 EWR-SFO
Dep: 2:30pm Arr: 5:51pm

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:56 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
UA would rather have the plane flying than sitting on the ground somewhere between international turns.
Why then does UA leave a 747 unused for just over 12 hours at LAX?
(The aeroplane from Sydney arrives at LAX ~10.00 next departs after 22.00)

Over a decade ago UAL did actually fly a turn LAX-DEN-LAX with a 747-400 - it seems an achievable turn regarding sufficient time and traffic between two hubs.

I have read Qantas are now nursing their remaining 747-400 aeroplanes (in particular the six ER versions) so as to keep the total number of cycles on them relatively low hopefully extending their life expectancy over time.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:01 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Aspen

Over a decade ago UAL did actually fly a turn LAX-DEN-LAX with a 747-400 - it seems an achievable turn regarding sufficient time and traffic between two hubs.
The dynamics are very different nowadays, customers want more frequencies/flight options. Also, the cost of operating a 744 over 2-4 Airbuses/737s/757s is much higher. Imagine a 747 flight getting cancelled and the chaos it would cause.

There are many factors that favors having more individual flights per day on a route rather than bigger planes with less frequencies.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[/I]
For a few summers some time ago, UA actually flew LAX-IAD-LAX on a 744. The flight was back at LAX around 8h00 pm and then the plane got ready for the SYD flight.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sb3
UA466 this monday SFO to EWR

Originally Posted by tuolumne
What's IPTE? are you serious about the suite?

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Given UA is dropping F from p.s. (a domestic market that actually can support 3 cabins), it is not an indication of things to come. UA would rather have the plane flying than sitting on the ground somewhere between international turns.
btw, was always curious, why are they making that change?

---

also just experienced the 767-300 new config. Business first seating from toronto to ORD to SFO. Was great to have lie flats on a 4 hour flight. not sure that will continue? anyone know?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by cesco.g
For a few summers some time ago, UA actually flew LAX-IAD-LAX on a 744. The flight was back at LAX around 8h00 pm and then the plane got ready for the SYD flight.
When UA had its MIA hub for S American flights (best hub in the system), the had 3 class 777's & 767's flying MIA-SFO/LAX/ORD/IAD every day. At the same time (mid to late 90's) UA had 1 747 a day HNL-LAX. Of course, this was back when UA was a real airline competing w other real airlines as opposed to today where the competition is greyhound
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:56 am

What are you talking about?

They did have those flights from MIA. And they all lost money. Never made a dime, sorry. That's not smart business. What would you say United is now? I don't understand your post. Flying 3 cabin airplanes domestically is a money losing proposition on most routes for most airlines. UA only did it back then for utilization flying to prop up an unprofitable hub. They found better and more profitable uses for those planes (added Asia/Europe flying, Dulles- South America), which is what a real airline does. Real airlines dont just fly big planes for fun or show, which is what your are implying they should do.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
When UA had its MIA hub for S American flights (best hub in the system), the had 3 class 777's & 767's flying MIA-SFO/LAX/ORD/IAD every day. At the same time (mid to late 90's) UA had 1 747 a day HNL-LAX. Of course, this was back when UA was a real airline competing w other real airlines as opposed to today where the competition is greyhound

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 17, 2012 at 5:16 am Reason: fix html
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

I have read Qantas are now nursing their remaining 747-400 aeroplanes (in particular the six ER versions) so as to keep the total number of cycles on them relatively low hopefully extending their life expectancy over time.
I rememer flying IAD-ORD in a UA 747-400 what an interesting flight, 30 seconds after rotation, the FA were springing into action as they had a plane to serve dinner to, it was full, and the last plate was being picked on the final approach into ORD..
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
This was also at a time when inflation-adjusted airfare was many times higher than what it is now. It's not particularly fair to compare pre-deregulation service with the service of today.

I, for one, am happy to have affordable airfare at the expense of some minor cuts to service.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by unavaca
This was also at a time when inflation-adjusted airfare was many times higher than what it is now. It's not particularly fair to compare pre-deregulation service with the service of today.
Agree completely!

Originally Posted by unavaca
I, for one, am happy to have affordable airfare at the expense of some minor cuts to service.
If I were flying on my own dime and not for business 200,000+ BIS a year, I might agree with you...but as some one who lives a good portion of his life on airplanes I value service and am willing to pay more for it!...and as someone who has flown for nearly 60 years...the cuts to service are certainly not minor!

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I rememer flying IAD-ORD in a UA 747-400 what an interesting flight, 30 seconds after rotation, the FA were springing into action as they had a plane to serve dinner to, it was full, and the last plate was being picked on the final approach into ORD..
I can top that...I remember flying in F from SEA to LAX via SFO on a 747-400 upstairs and having two full multi-course international meals served to me on the flights...on the SFO-LAX segment, they even broke out the caviar! Oh, how have times changed!

Last edited by 1KPath; Aug 17, 2012 at 11:47 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.