Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Duke777
R=2 and R=3 for a domestic flight that's well within my upgrade window. Traveling with my GF, but we haven't cleared (haven't split).

Shouldn't we clear or someone else should clear and take R<2?

Should I call?
depends if you have an instrument applied or not.

open R is not an indication that you are owed a CPU.

if you have a GPU or RPU applied to both travelers on the reservation, you should call and request it be cleared. but you should not call and request a CPU just because R is open.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
depends if you have an instrument applied or not.

open R is not an indication that you are owed a CPU.

if you have a GPU or RPU applied to both travelers on the reservation, you should call and request it be cleared. but you should not call and request a CPU just because R is open.
Very good point.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Called 2 1K agents and both said R is only available for mileage upgrades or RPUs.

I guess R doesn't = CPU. Is this a policy change? It almost always has in the past.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Called 2 1K agents and both said R is only available for mileage upgrades or RPUs. Is there a change in policy???

How can 2 agents not know pretty basic information?
CPUs do not come out of R...they are apparently emanate from a hidden subset of R.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess R doesn't = CPU. Is this a policy change? It almost always has in the past.
No it is not a policy change. R availability does not equal CPU availability.

The phone agents must get really tired of these phone calls.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
CPUs do not come out of R...they are apparently emanate from a hidden subset of R.
From the hidden waitlist (EUA), yes. For gate upgrades, all they need is an empty seat.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
My apologies and I've edited my post. My experience has been that upgrades clear at windows when R>0, with rare exceptions.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
My apologies and I've edited my post. My experience has been that upgrades clear at windows when R>0, with rare exceptions.
My experience has been that complimentary upgrades do not clear at all, with rare exceptions
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
My experience has been that complimentary upgrades do not clear, with rare exceptions
Yup. I can't even count the number of times I've seen R9 and no CPUs clearing at T-96, T-72, or T-48.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Really R>2 is the number you should be checking for.

People on FT often refer to this "hidden subset" or "hidden bucket" of R, which doesn't really exist as a separate bucket per se. Each flight has CPU programmed to dole out either all R seats or all but 1 or 2 seats (generally). So, CPU does come from R, but not all R availability is available to CPU to clear into.

This holdback factor seldom exceeds 2. Typically if you see R <= 2 and CPU hasn't allocated it, that's probably normal. If you see R > 2, and CPU hasn't allocated it, it's usually an issue.

Again, this is generally and typically, and probably and usually -- they keep it in a black box behind a cloud of smoke so you can't know for sure.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by channa
If you see R > 2, and CPU hasn't allocated it, it's usually an issue.
R9 and no CPUs clearing at the windows is entirely normal for SFO-HNL.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
...Each flight has CPU programmed to dole out either all R seats or all but 1 or 2 seats (generally).....
Where is this information coming from?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
That may think that's how it works because of experience relative to observed R and CPU, but that's not how it works...I have definitely made use of available of R within a day or two of flight with a boatload of people on upgrade list or waitlist at T-24. My assumption is that on these occasions, I have cut in line for w/ an instrument upgrade inside someone's Window Of Hope if I'm not M-upping..

Updated example (12:49pm HST 6/18) - UA1641 OGG-SFO 6/21 R9 for a couple of days now and currently inside 1K window. This 1K waiting for the inevitable CPU after withdrawing GPU a couple of days ago. 2nd leg of journey upgraded this morning.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 18, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just sniped a seat on a PS flight today (was J2R1, and of course there are a dozen people waitlisted). Sorry #s 1-3 ahead of me on the UG list...but as long as UA is trying to sell these seats on the cheap vs. upgrade any of "us", I don't feel that guilty anymore as there was no way they were going all the way to the gate.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Updated example (12:49pm HST 6/18) - UA1641 OGG-SFO 6/21 R9 for a couple of days now and currently inside 1K window. This 1K waiting for the inevitable CPU after withdrawing GPU a couple of days ago. 2nd leg of journey upgraded this morning.
Did it clear?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just sniped a seat on a PS flight today (was J2R1, and of course there are a dozen people waitlisted). Sorry #s 1-3 ahead of me on the UG list...but as long as UA is trying to sell these seats on the cheap vs. upgrade any of "us", I don't feel that guilty anymore as there was no way they were going all the way to the gate.
Law of the jungle applies.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Could someone please tell me how I can check to see if there is R availibity or at least direct me to a link that gives instructions? Much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.