Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by PBAudit
While I was glad I could upgrade my relative, as a 1k, I'm a little bit concerned. If the "shoe was on the other foot", and I was waitlisted as a 1k, I would hate to think I could be bypassed in this manner. I would hope United reservations system had automatically processed upgraded for those with higher status.
I checked the SFO/FRA flight today and saw that there was only 1 person on the Business Upgrade list with 3 open seats. So in this case, my relative may not have "jumped the queue".

Nonetheless, I learned something helpful. I have 2 upcoming flights where a global is waitlisted. I plan on checking these flights on a more frequent basis.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FL390
I had a GPU wait listed for Global First. ON2 opened up but I was still wait listed. I had to HUACA three times to get it cleared. The first two insisted I wait for the automated system to clear the upgrade... Third agent did it without hesitation. Looks like she applied another GPU to clear as my account is down 2 instead of just 1. Hopefully it doesnt take too long for the first one to be re-applied to my account.

Has anyone ever had an agent cancel the GPU and then apply it on the website? It should clear right away so long as ON/R space is available right?
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
This has happened to me....usually took a day or two. Some agents say it's faster to grab a new one to get the seat quickly....as crediting and then taking the same can be slow...
When this has happened for me, I have never had it automatically come back. If, after getting the 'manual push' to clear, it seems an extra one has been deducted, I would just call again immediately, as there is evidently something they can do to get it to re-credit while still on the phone.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just had this happen to me. This morning my IAH-FLL segment cleared automatically but my SEA-IAH was waitlisted. I've been waitlisted for about 2 weeks.

Did a quick search of SEA-IAH and saw R=3 so I called. The agent was surprised and asked how I knew there was R space open. I told her the website offers that information.

She processed the upgrade without question or comment. She didn't say I was or wasn't at the top of the list. But what's interesting is that after my upgrade processed the flight went to R=0.

Before my upgrade there were 11 open seats on the seat map and F9. After my upgrade the flight is now F8 and R0. I *think* that whatever she did caused three of us to get upgraded. Yes, I know the seat map is not 100% accurate so I can't say for certain that 3 people just got upgraded but I'd bet on it at this point.

So the question is:
1. Did she somehow kick off the upgrade queue with a few keystrokes and I happened to be one of the top 3 waitlisted?
2. Did her processing my upgrade manually cause the other 2 R seats to be given out?

Now I wait for a EWR-SEA segment to clear on this reservation. It's F8 PN1 at the moment.

-RM
Old May 3, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just had this happen to me. This morning my IAH-FLL segment cleared automatically but my SEA-IAH was waitlisted. I've been waitlisted for about 2 weeks.

Did a quick search of SEA-IAH and saw R=3 so I called. The agent was surprised and asked how I knew there was R space open. I told her the website offers that information.

She processed the upgrade without question or comment. She didn't say I was or wasn't at the top of the list. But what's interesting is that after my upgrade processed the flight went to R=0.

Before my upgrade there were 11 open seats on the seat map and F9. After my upgrade the flight is now F8 and R0. I *think* that whatever she did caused three of us to get upgraded. Yes, I know the seat map is not 100% accurate so I can't say for certain that 3 people just got upgraded but I'd bet on it at this point.

So the question is:
1. Did she somehow kick off the upgrade queue with a few keystrokes and I happened to be one of the top 3 waitlisted?
2. Did her processing my upgrade manually cause the other 2 R seats to be given out?

Now I wait for a EWR-SEA segment to clear on this reservation. It's F8 PN1 at the moment.

-RM
yup, then can definitely start the queue if that somehow got stuck. Have seen this a couple of times where after my call the count went down by 5 and seats went away.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Would agree with WineCountryUA: I had numerous instances where my GPU cleared, with the system never showing upgrade inventory available.
I agree with this too. Just had an upgrade clear off the waitlist today for LHR-EWR in a couple of weeks' time. It may be that it gets stuck sometimes, but it also works sometimes.

By the way I had been watching this particular flight for weeks. I booked it about 3 months ago. It has been PN9 R0 for about 3 weeks or even longer and today the upgrade cleared. Perhaps this shows that it's not that the waitlist is broken per se, but that the algorithms to clear non-GS are just really, really stingy. (Which is also a problem, but one of policy rather than technological incompetence).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum
For those that post R clears in the early morning hours (0000-0200 timeframe), is this a system you are checking at that time how do we know these are the hours (expert flyer alerts)?

Just curious on the right time to start checking for R space, could it potentially disappear before normal waking hours?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by popoemt
For those that post R clears in the early morning hours (0000-0200 timeframe), is this a system you are checking at that time how do we know these are the hours (expert flyer alerts)? ....
Only can be checked on united.com. Occasionally other options open up but UA will work to shut them down
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only can be checked on united.com. Occasionally other options open up but UA will work to shut them down
Got it, thanks for the quick reply!

For those who check R space, are you checking at those early hours to ensure you get the upgrade?

I'm waitlisted on a DEN-NRT and the agent I spoke to seemed to believe R would open up soon. Just wondering when I should be checking it (I've been checking when I wake up, but if inventory pops up at midnight or so, would it disappear within those early hours as well)?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it, thanks for the quick reply!

For those who check R space, are you checking at those early hours to ensure you get the upgrade?

I'm waitlisted on a DEN-NRT and the agent I spoke to seemed to believe R would open up soon. Just wondering when I should be checking it (I've been checking when I wake up, but if inventory pops up at midnight or so, would it disappear within those early hours as well)?
I check @ T-72, T-48, T-24, T-4, T-3.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I check @ T-72, T-48, T-24, T-4, T-3.
Cool, any particular hours?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been quoting hours. Prior to departure.

If it is a long time before the flight. Check Saturday mornings ... this is when schedule changes load.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I understand what you're asking. Yes -- in the old Expert Flyer days R space always seemed to open around 4-5 in the morning (central time). I remember fondly waking up to the notification buzz on my cell and rushing to call UA to have them clear it.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:33 pm

If it is a long time before the flight. Check Saturday mornings ... this is when schedule changes load.
Originally Posted by chavala
I understand what you're asking. Yes -- in the old Expert Flyer days R space always seemed to open around 4-5 in the morning (central time). I remember fondly waking up to the notification buzz on my cell and rushing to call UA to have them clear it.
Cool, thank you all, I appreciate the help!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

Agree on the Saturday point - I have seen R open up then before. But this week, I cleared an upgrade on Wednesday or Thursday night...was quite strange to see R open up in the middle of the week. Snatched a couple of BF seats for a TATL trip next month
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the agent I spoke to seemed to believe R would open up soon
the agent has absolutely no idea what revenue management team is going to do, so i wouldn't put a lot of stock in their belief about R opening. DEN-NRT is regarded as sort of a difficult GPU upgrade relative to the other NRT flights.

in the rare cases when i fly UA revenue anymore with an instrument i check for R once a day, usually first thing in the morning because that is when it is convenient. i check more often inside T-7 days to departure.

another thing you can do if you have expert flyer is set an alert for I. pretty much anytime I is open, R is also open...but there are many, many times when R is wide open (R9) and I is 0. the I open strategy works best inside 5 days to departure.

another thing to watch is what revenue bucket they are opening for the flights, and the PN bucket. a flight that is P9/PN0 is less of a good candidate for R opening than one that is say P9/PN3 or P9/PN9. if your flight is J9/P0, that's not such a good candidate for R to open. anything with J<9 the waitlist is probably going to only start clearing a couple of days before departure.

as in all things YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.