Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
routine check today ... flight on 12/21 showed R9. Sure enough both tickets still waitlisted . Called and got them cleared.
You have flights booked for December already? Impressive! ^
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
routine check today ... flight on 12/21 showed R9. Sure enough both tickets still waitlisted . Called and got them cleared.
Same for me - 12/11 ORD-SFO, R space opened up last week and I was still waitlisted. Called and now cleared.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a couple of GPUs waitlisted next week. Spoke to an agent today about another issue and asked if she would check the flight to see if R space had opened up. Of course it hadn't. So then I asked where on the waitlist I was. She "goes into the system" and is able to tell me, for both flights, not exactly where on the waitlist I am but how many other 1Ks are waitlisted in addition to me. She says the names are in alphabetical order so she can't see the order of the waitlist, but it gave me some indication of the waitlist situation.

Of course, the chances that the GPUs will clear are pretty low, but I appreciated the extra information...
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I have a flight this Friday April 18 from SFO to DFW. I just hit the 96 hour mark for the 1K CPU. There is R space open on the flight but the CPU hasn't cleared. I don't know how CPU's work related to R space being open. Should I call in for this?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
I have a flight this Friday April 18 from SFO to DFW. I just hit the 96 hour mark for the 1K CPU. There is R space open on the flight but the CPU hasn't cleared. I don't know how CPU's work related to R space being open. Should I call in for this?
There should be a wiki in size 96 type that says "R>0 DOES NOT MEAN SEATS HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED FOR CPUs!". And the CPU language says CPUs can clear AS EARLY as T-96. You can call, but it's a waste of time and lengthens the wait for someone with a legitimate problem. If you want to apply a GPU, RPU, or mileage towards an upgrade, R>0 means the upgrade can be snagged instantly. But not a CPU.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There should be a wiki in size 96 type that says "R>0 DOES NOT MEAN SEATS HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED FOR CPUs!". And the CPU language says CPUs can clear AS EARLY as T-96. You can call, but it's a waste of time and lengthens the wait for someone with a legitimate problem.
Thanks for the info, thats what I figured.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:22 pm

I had a GPU wait listed for Global First. ON2 opened up but I was still wait listed. I had to HUACA three times to get it cleared. The first two insisted I wait for the automated system to clear the upgrade... Third agent did it without hesitation. Looks like she applied another GPU to clear as my account is down 2 instead of just 1. Hopefully it doesnt take too long for the first one to be re-applied to my account.

Has anyone ever had an agent cancel the GPU and then apply it on the website? It should clear right away so long as ON/R space is available right?

Last edited by FL390; Apr 20, 2016 at 6:31 pm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FL390
Has anyone ever had an agent cancel the GPU and then apply it on the website? It should clear right away so long as ON/R space is available right?
IMHO, this is preferable to asking the agent to clear it, for the exact reason you noted...avoiding double draw of GPUs from your account and having to track them down. plus, the agent can't really tell you no and make you have to HUACA.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There should be a wiki in size 96 type that says "R>0 DOES NOT MEAN SEATS HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED FOR CPUs!". And the CPU language says CPUs can clear AS EARLY as T-96. You can call, but it's a waste of time and lengthens the wait for someone with a legitimate problem. If you want to apply a GPU, RPU, or mileage towards an upgrade, R>0 means the upgrade can be snagged instantly. But not a CPU.
Right, but if R>2, chances are there's seats for CPU but the system is broken.

In these cases I call and ask them to file a bug report.

It's a legitimate problem. It's been going on with UA for 4 years, and CO for many years prior to that.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS
A couple of instances today.

A couple weeks ago, I applied a GPU (expires 4/30) to a IAH/SFO flight tomorrow night. I checked my reservations and saw my upgrade didn't clear (Upgrade Requested). However, when I checked reservations, I saw R=3, so I called in. The agent upgrade the flight.

Note- what was odd was when I originally looked at my seat assignments, it did not show a 2nd seat map. In other instances where an upgrade is pending (using a RPU or GPU), it would show a second seat map. The first seat map (IAH/SFO) would show my coach seat assignment. The second seat map (IAH/SFO), would show available first or business seat assignments (which you couldn't do anything with). Even though I was waitlisted, the 2nd seat map was missing.

I thought the lack of a 2nd seat map was a indication that my reservation was in "transition". That later on (or overnight), I would be reassigned to a first class seat. Of course, I didn't want to take the chance that was a glitch in the system and my upgrade would be overlooked, so I called in.

The second instance was on a relative's flight, leaving May 1st SFO-FRA. I applied a GPU, and the upgrade was waitlisted. This afternoon, I checked the flight and saw R=1. I looked at my relative's reservation and wasn't an upgrade. I called Reservations to process the upgrade. The agent said there was no upgrade available. I thought I must have made a mistake (i.e. entered the wrong date).

I checked again and saw R=1, so I called a second time. I told the 2nd agent I was online and saw the SFO/FRA flight with R=1. The agent checked, said I had "good eyes" and processed the upgrade.

I recall that my 1k status no longer is carried over to upgrades. My relative is Silver and thus, would be toward the bottom of the list (after GS, 1k, Platinum, Gold). Now I'm wondering if by calling in, all the other elites were bypassed.

While I was glad I could upgrade my relative, as a 1k, I'm a little bit concerned. If the "shoe was on the other foot", and I was waitlisted as a 1k, I would hate to think I could be bypassed in this manner. I would hope United reservations system had automatically processed upgraded for those with higher status.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PBAudit
I recall that my 1k status no longer is carried over to upgrades. My relative is Silver and thus, would be toward the bottom of the list (after GS, 1k, Platinum, Gold). Now I'm wondering if by calling in, all the other elites were bypassed.

While I was glad I could upgrade my relative, as a 1k, I'm a little bit concerned. If the "shoe was on the other foot", and I was waitlisted as a 1k, I would hate to think I could be bypassed in this manner. I would hope United reservations system had automatically processed upgraded for those with higher status.

we have all spent close to 5 years hoping for that and yet for those who have managed to stick around and endure the beatings, nothing has changed as evidenced by this thread. don't tear yourself up with guilt over calling in, it is the system they built and we are just playing within it to the best of our abilities.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by PBAudit
This is exactly what happens. The legacy CO computer system doesn't always (ever?) process the wait list prior to opening up upgrade buckets. Calling in and finding an agent who will manually process the upgrade is a way to bypass the list.

I have not had good luck with wait listed upgrade clearly automatically. I think my new strategy will be to hold off on applying an instrument until upgrade space is open, then applying the upgrade on the website.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I think my new strategy will be to hold off on applying an instrument until upgrade space is open, then applying the upgrade on the website.
IMO a bad decision. While sometimes the upgrades will not autoclear, they can and do many times. So waiting to apply will definitely lower your chances of clearing. If R does open and you do not clear, you can still call to clear. If for some reason the agent refuses, then remove the upgrade and manually apply. You are no worse off doing this and most probably IME better off since upgrades do autoclear.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would agree with WineCountryUA: I had numerous instances where my GPU cleared, with the system never showing upgrade inventory available.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I had a GPU wait listed for Global First. ON2 opened up but I was still wait listed. I had to HUACA three times to get it cleared. The first two insisted I wait for the automated system to clear the upgrade... Third agent did it without hesitation. Looks like she applied another GPU to clear as my account is down 2 instead of just 1. Hopefully it doesnt take too long for the first one to be re-applied to my account.

This has happened to me....usually took a day or two. Some agents say it's faster to grab a new one to get the seat quickly....as crediting and then taking the same can be slow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.