Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

English question: whose is the "redeeming account" (GPU/RPU upgrade priority)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

I have a rather embarrassing English question for you guys. For sponsored GPU/RPU, United says:

The sponsoring member can then redeem the Global Premier Upgrade by selecting the Upgrade Reservation link. Waitlist confirmation priority is based on the Premier status of the redeeming account.
What is the "redeeming account" for this purpose? Specifically, is it the account the GPU/RPU is being redeemed *from* for being redeemed *for*?

For instance, if a Plat is redeeming RPU for 1K, will it clear by 1K's priority or Plat's?

Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by GRB051111
I have a rather embarrassing English question for you guys. For sponsored GPU/RPU, United says:

What is the "redeeming account" for this purpose? Specifically, is it the account the GPU/RPU is being redeemed *from* for being redeemed *for*?

For instance, if a Plat is redeeming RPU for 1K, will it clear by 1K's priority or Plat's?

Thanks a lot!
The priority is based on the status level of the RPU/GPU "owner" - in your example Platinum.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, todorovic!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:42 pm

I have to admit I'm still confused. In this example, the Platinum member had the upgrade, and tried to sponsor the 1K member? Or was your example the other way around? The word redeeming here is very confusing!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jonwyup
I have to admit I'm still confused. In this example, the Platinum member had the upgrade, and tried to sponsor the 1K member? Or was your example the other way around? The word redeeming here is very confusing!
It is the account from which the miles/rpu/gpu is redeemed -- it is where the miles/rpu/gpu came from.

If I as an 1K sponsors another traveler (regardless of status) by redeeming one of my upgrade certs, that traveler's waitlist status will be mine (1K).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
My company will sponsor GPU's for me. I believe they receive a specific number every quarter. I wonder what status that ends up as.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
My company will sponsor GPU's for me. I believe they receive a specific number every quarter. I wonder what status that ends up as.
A very good question.

Last edited by aacharya; Jul 31, 2013 at 2:00 pm
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Past posts on FT report company supplied GPUs have no status -- effective GM status. If it clears on booking you will be fine but if not you will be at the bottom of the list.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post19181867
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Past posts on FT report company supplied GPUs have no status -- effective GM status. If it clears on booking you will be fine but if not you will be at the bottom of the list.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post19181867
That's what I was afraid of
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:45 pm

Thanks for clarifying everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.