Bait and Switch on Award Accelerator?

Subscribe
Moderators: I started this as a new thread (as opposed to part of the Award Accelerator pricing thread) because I believe this is a different topic. Please merge if you feel otherwise.

I have been eyeing an Award Accelerator RDM purchase for a couple of months now. Current offer on the reservation page is "starting from $161." This is for my wife and I on RT FC award tickets from US East Coast to LHR in November. This was purchased using points from a friend's MP account (great to have friends like this!).

Once on actual the offer page, each of us has the choice of $161 for 7620 miles or $322 for 15,240 miles. It works out to about 2.1 CPM. The check boxes are disabled because we need to enter our MP numbers to qualify. I entered my Premier Gold number her GM number and the offer immediately changes for both of us to $336 for 7620 miles and $504 for 15,240 miles!

I thought I was crazy having misread this, so I printed the screen, then used the BACK button on my browser and I was able to get the old screens back (and printed them). I declined the offer, logged out, and tried again with the same results.

The first time I felt really lucky that I noticed this. It was totally unexpected.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Yes this is common. Once you log in with your MP number, it changes it. But you can't buy the miles without putting in your MP number.
As many others have posted, you can "correct" this glitch by re-loading the web page after entering your MP number. The original offer should re-appear.
Same issue here. I think it's a glitch of some kind that has to do with the fact that there are two people on the reservation. I think if you split the PNR (not sure you can in this instance) you'd get the first result. It may also be because the miles are coming from someone else's MP account (in my case, I have an award ticket with myself and another person who does not have a MP account). Maybe somebody will be able to shed some light on this.

Quote: As many others have posted, you can "correct" this glitch by re-loading the web page after entering your MP number. The original offer should re-appear.
I've tried that, doesn't work for me. Just goes back to the original offer, but greyed out without the MP number.
Quote: As many others have posted, you can "correct" this glitch by re-loading the web page after entering your MP number. The original offer should re-appear.
You are right, a reload of the page does bring back the original pricing, BUT when I follow the procedures and move to the next page to enter my credit card info, the "new" higher pricing is shown. I tried this several times with different combinations (only my number, only my wife's number, first mine then hers and vice versa) and the same thing happens: when I click on "Add more miles for $321" , the higher $504 price is shown on the purchase confirmation page.

What's the best way to proceed from here?
Quote:

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Login next time. It clearly notes that one has to login to see the actual offer, and to buy the RDM. So the price when not logged in, although
enticing, is not relevant.

Imagine the same query on a revenue ticket upgrade to F. Not logged on (non-elite) is usually a higher upfare than for a Plat/1K, since they can buy an M ticket and get into F. (Let's not bring up the other issues around this).
Quote: Same issue here. I think it's a glitch of some kind that has to do with the fact that there are two people on the reservation. I think if you split the PNR (not sure you can in this instance) you'd get the first result. It may also be because the miles are coming from someone else's MP account (in my case, I have an award ticket with myself and another person who does not have a MP account).
I realize you're not making excuses for this behaviour, only trying to explain why it might be happening. I guess it could be for any number of programming reasons, but it's not a good situation as both the airline and I are not satisfied with the outcome (no purchase).

Quote: Login next time. It clearly notes that one has to login to see the actual offer, and to buy the RDM.
I am logged in. That's how I am able to retrieve, view, and change my reservation. I guess that's not the only way to do it, but that's how I do it.

Another suggestion, please?
I think UAInsider posted about this issue awhile back and said they were aware of the problem and would be fixing it at some point. Unfortunately, I don't have the link to that post.
Quote: Another suggestion, please?
Maybe it's a browser issue ... ?

Quote: I realize you're not making excuses for this behaviour, only trying to explain why it might be happening. I guess it could be for any number of programming reasons, but it's not a good situation as both the airline and I are not satisfied with the outcome (no purchase).
Definitely not making excuses, just sharing thoughts on what could be causing it, and possible ways to correct it.
Quote: I realize you're not making excuses for this behaviour, only trying to explain why it might be happening. I guess it could be for any number of programming reasons, but it's not a good situation as both the airline and I are not satisfied with the outcome (no purchase).

I am logged in. That's how I am able to retrieve, view, and change my reservation. I guess that's not the only way to do it, but that's how I do it.

Another suggestion, please?
I see it as no different then when say Orbitz shows a fare and when you click onto it you get the message the fare has changed..... and now its more expensive .yet no matter how many times I go back and still see the cheaper fare I cant purchase the tkt for that lower amount

I dont think its B&S just a glitch among 1000s of others. To me it seems if you want to purchase it you will have to cough up the higher amount they want, no different with Orbitz I can stand on my head till I turn Blue, Orbitz isnt going to sell me the tkt for the lower price they showed before I clicked onto it
+1. It is NOT a bait and switch. It's just a stupid glitch. All you need to do is reload the page (after putting your number in) and the original price comes right back

The house is burning, the house is burning!!!! Before calling this a "bait & switch" , this glitch has been around for a long time and it's no big deal......certainly no one is getting ripped off
Quote: I see it as no different then when say Orbitz shows a fare and when you click onto it you get the message the fare has changed..... and now its more expensive .yet no matter how many times I go back and still see the cheaper fare I cant purchase the tkt for that lower amount

I dont think its B&S just a glitch among 1000s of others. To me it seems if you want to purchase it you will have to cough up the higher amount they want, no different with Orbitz I can stand on my head till I turn Blue, Orbitz isnt going to sell me the tkt for the lower price they showed before I clicked onto it
No no. You can and do get the lower "advertised" rate. I have no idea why the price doubles when you put in your number but you for sure get the original price offered once you re load

Quote: You are right, a reload of the page does bring back the original pricing, BUT when I follow the procedures and move to the next page to enter my credit card info, the "new" higher pricing is shown. I tried this several times with different combinations (only my number, only my wife's number, first mine then hers and vice versa) and the same thing happens: when I click on "Add more miles for $321" , the higher $504 price is shown on the purchase confirmation page.

What's the best way to proceed from here?
If you call MP from your computer they will complete the purchase for you (w tech support - it takes a half hour
Quote: If you call MP from your computer they will complete the purchase for you (w tech support - it takes a half hour
Really? I just got off the phone with the web support desk, the agent insisted that award accelerator purchases are not allowed on award tickets. That was after the agent on the 1K desk told me that United had discontinued the option long ago. !!! Guess I'll have to call back and get a different agent.

Quote: +1. It is NOT a bait and switch. It's just a stupid glitch. All you need to do is reload the page (after putting your number in) and the original price comes right back
Actually, while it's true that the original pricing comes back after re-loading the page, the old higher pricing comes back on the payment page. So, you can see why it looks like a bait&switch to some people.
Quote: Actually, while it's true that the original pricing comes back after re-loading the page, the old higher pricing comes back on the payment page. So, you can see why it looks like a bait&switch to some people.
Not always but you right. It does sometimes happen. I only bought miles once in my life and it happened to me. I spoke to MP, They got tech Support on the other line & completed my huge purchase of 10K RDM's. Total time in phone - 40 min

I origianally thought it was a bait and switch as well and wrote a furious letter to Corp Cust Care. They called me back the same day (they hate seeing 3 words in a letter if which I used 2 (Fraude, DOT, Racism) use any 2 of those 3 words and you'll get a response. They told me it was a glitch and had MP call me back to complete the purchase

(I'm saving "racism" for a big complaint