Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver - do both pax on same itin get a free checked bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*

I'm embarrassed to ask this, as for years I was 1K or 1P and started this year with no status and just hit Silver a couple weeks ago. In the interim, the merger happened, MP changed, and I'm like the new kid in school. I also couldn't find anything in a search

Saturday, I'm flying SFO-EWR with soon-to-be Mrs. davesfolhr and her mom.

My fiancee and I are on the same itin. I purchased it before I hit Silver status.

I know that I get one free checked bag. Does she?

To further complicate things, we both just got MP Explorer cards. I know that had we bought tickets with those cards, we'd get a free checked bag. However, I bought this itin before we got the cards. Does the card give us an additional checked bag?

In an ideal world, I'm trying to figure out a way for all three of us to check a bag for free (it's a longish trip). Two of us with one free bag is doable, but I'm really hoping it doesn't end up being just one free checked bag between the three of us.

Thanks in advance for any insight FT can offer.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Two bags free total. Due to silver status. Also due to having the card. Applies to another in the same reservation but not the mil.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Thanks! Was hoping that the card would somehow become additive and I could sneak three total through, but we'll make due with two. Appreciate the insight.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Two bags free total. Due to silver status. Also due to having the card. Applies to another in the same reservation but not the mil.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davesfolhr
Thanks! Was hoping that the card would somehow become additive and I could sneak three total through, but we'll make due with two. Appreciate the insight.
Now, if you had gotten the United Club card for free via that offer, you'd all have two free bags.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
just to confirm, your soon-to-be Mrs. davesfolhr does not have any status? so it's just you with Silver status?

i'm in the same situation so am curious how the free bag applies on one itinerary.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:58 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
So what is the rule for GM companions of Silvers, assuming nobody has a special credit card? Does each person in the reservation (including GMs) get one free bag? I don't see any mention on United's website of benefits transferring to others.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
Originally Posted by dearbee
just to confirm, your soon-to-be Mrs. davesfolhr does not have any status? so it's just you with Silver status?

i'm in the same situation so am curious how the free bag applies on one itinerary.
From UA website:
"First Checked Bag Free
As a MileagePlus Explorer Cardmember, you and your companion can each check your first standard bag for free when you fly United operated flights - a savings of up $50 per person round trip."

What's interesting is that the above did not include language found in the benefits for the more expensive Club card which is:
"...This benefit also applies to one other person traveling on your reservation." [bolding mine]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.