94,000 Flexible Premier Miles ???

Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by platinumPizza
Thanks for the very helpful tip! Why do you recommend doing it in February as opposed to know?
If you do it mid-year, then you'll get Platinum status for 18 months. If you do it at the beginning of the program year, you'll get Platinum status for 24 months for the exact same FPQMs. Given that you didn't do it last February, you have to decide whether to do it now and enjoy 18 months' status starting immediately, or to wait until February (actually, you could do it on January 1) and get 24 months' status. If you will earn at least 75k FPQM's between now and Jan 1 2014, then there's no reason to wait.

As someone else pointed out, this is indeed all dependent on the rules not changing. I'm not sure what can be done about that - you make plans now based on the best information available, and if the circumstances change, you re-evaluate. I'm not sure what else you can do.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
If you do it mid-year, then you'll get Platinum status for 18 months. If you do it at the beginning of the program year, you'll get Platinum status for 24 months for the exact same FPQMs. Given that you didn't do it last February, you have to decide whether to do it now and enjoy 18 months' status starting immediately, or to wait until February (actually, you could do it on January 1) and get 24 months' status. If you will earn at least 75k FPQM's between now and Jan 1 2014, then there's no reason to wait.

As someone else pointed out, this is indeed all dependent on the rules not changing. I'm not sure what can be done about that - you make plans now based on the best information available, and if the circumstances change, you re-evaluate. I'm not sure what else you can do.
Yea I think I am going to risk it and wait until January 1st... I don't think I will be traveling much the rest of the year so I will wait. Thanks for the advice!!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I think #4 means to move all the miles and attain Platinum and have extra miles in your account. This doesn't seem worth it unless they will expire before the end of the 24-month period (assuming you move them in Feb and attain platinum for 2013 and 2014). You definitely want to move them before they expire.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Hate to revisit this but I had a question you guys maybe able to answer. If I have enough to upgrade myself and spouse do they allow this?

Or is this a bad idea since I can do platinum and we usually fly together and she would be upgraded? I have enough to give her Gold and me Platinum at this point.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by platinumPizza
Hate to revisit this but I had a question you guys maybe able to answer. If I have enough to upgrade myself and spouse do they allow this?

Or is this a bad idea since I can do platinum and we usually fly together and she would be upgraded? I have enough to give her Gold and me Platinum at this point.
don't believe you can use your FEQMs for another persons, not even for your spouse. It is tied to your account.

a short previous thread on this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-account.html
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
However one of the perks of any status with UA is that Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as the Premier member.

Now having Platinum over say Silver will also increase you on the list as well.

She could get most of your Platinum perks if flying with you, except for the bonuses on flights as that is based on status.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vandesa
However one of the perks of any status with UA is that Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as the Premier member. ....
Due PNR splitting if upgrades don't clear before check, this benefit is presently problematic and unreliable -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cy-change.html
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Can I give away my excess Flex Premier Miles?

As in to help a family member reach status. Probably not, right?
For the original poster with 94,000 flex miles, or anyone else, you CAN split miles between years. Probably best to wait until the end of the year, or even in January, and transfer enough to the past year to reach the status you want and save the rest for the new year.

Last edited by bartmoore; Apr 16, 2013 at 11:43 am Reason: Thought of something else
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by bartmoore
As in to help a family member reach status. Probably not, right?
Nope .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.