Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance LH/UA combination

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Baggage Allowance LH/UA combination

+++++MSC (Most Significant Carrier) rule effective since 1 April 2011Effective since 1 April 2011: if the geographically longest or most significant stretch of your journey is not operated by Lufthansa, but by another airline, this airline’s rules may also apply to Lufthansa flights or Lufthansa flight numbers.

If Lufthansa operates the geographically longest or most significant stretch of the journey, then the rules and charges effective from 1 June 2011 will apply.

Please note the free baggage allowance shown on your ticket
.+++++

Does anyone have recent first hand experience with this? I don't want to book a flight from ZRH-ORD (via FRA or MUC on LH) until I am certain that I can check 3 bags on the very short LH segment, as my star gold level will allow me to check 3 bags on the (much longer) UA flight across the pond. I realize most folks don't need to check 3 bags for a flight (I'm the exception). My husband, also star gold, would like to check 3 bags.

Our experience with LX is that we were charged extra baggage fee for 3 pieces!! I don't want to have that happen again!

The language on the LH site is a bit different from the language on the LX site, so I'm hoping this "significant carrier" rule is actually followed!!

I have seen threads on baggage allowances but would like to get some up to date information, if possible, and not be buried in an old thread.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
With a U.S. destination, U.S. DOT regs of January 23, 2012, apply, not the IATA most significant carrier rule of 2011 referenced by LH.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:11 am
Original Poster

And that means...? Can I check 3 bags or not? I'm not up on DOT rules.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have done CDG - LH - FRA - UA - SFO with no problems
also LTV- LH - FRA - UA - SFO with no problems.
I have 1 K and therefore *G

Not sure about LX
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:21 am
Original Poster

keisari, did you try to check 3 bags with LH?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Experiences and rules are not the same thing. Here is (posted by a UA employee, I believe) a thread describing DOT marketing carrier rules.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...gage-fees.html
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:37 am
Original Poster

EXAMPLE #1
Itinerary

Flight 1: BOS-LHR (Carrier A is the marketing carrier and operates the flight)
Connecting to
Flight 2: LHR-DUB (Carrier A is the marketing carrier, and Carrier B operates the flight)

Returning
Flight 3: DUB-LHR (Carrier A is the marketing carrier, and Carrier B operates the flight)
Connecting to
Flight 4: LHR-BOS (Carrier A is the marketing carrier and operates the flight).
Outcome: Carrier A's baggage rules apply throughout..

I guess this scenario matches my own situation. But geez could they make the language much more confusing???
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Keisari, still curious to know whether you were successful at checking three bags on either one (or both) of your trips, in which you indicated you had 'done with no problems.'
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sim510
Keisari, still curious to know whether you were successful at checking three bags on either one (or both) of your trips, in which you indicated you had 'done with no problems.'
TLV-LH-FRA-UA-SFO -- no problem with 3 bags; not sure if they were 50 or closer to 70 lbs (23 vs 32 kg)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.