Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Item Stolen From Gate-Checked Bag on United

Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM

Sorry to gripe, but after a long delay for a gate checked bag (took them 9 hours to get me the bag) I found that United employes had unlocked the TSA lock and stole a moderately expensive (and fairly bulky item) from my bag. Until now I thought the lack of integrity was only at the TOP (and yes, even on this trip I ran into many many employees who do have integrity and go out of their way to compensate for the lack of integrity at the top), but there is at least one employee (I guess not really a surprise) in baggage handling that is a criminal.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 8, 2012 at 4:02 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:48 pm

People with no integrity are all over. Sorry for your issue - that is terrible. Do you know for sure it was a ramp agent?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:27 am

Are you certain that the theft wasn't committed by a TSA agent or other people who may have had access to your bag?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:35 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
Are you certain that the theft wasn't committed by a TSA agent or other people who may have had access to your bag?
It's always theoretically possible it was TSA but unlikely in this instance. For a gate checked bag, the security was done when the OP was present at the checkpoint, and there is no reason for TSA to even be around when bags are off-loaded.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:24 am
Original Poster

As one poster mentioned, I doubt it was the ramp personnel in SEA as there would be no opportunity. The plan goes from the jet bridge straight to the cargo area. I doubt it is TSA since I was present when my carry-on was screened by them, and the particular item in question was individually inspected by them (did the swab test) and then placed by me back in my carry-on, after security.

My suspicion is that it was stolen at SFO where it needed to change planes (and where it ended up delayed as well), and from other postings on the web, it would not surprise me if there is an ongoing criminal enterprise operating out of United's baggage operations there.

But it might have happened at LAX as well.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:39 am

Could have easily happened at SEA. Go through it when they load it on the plane.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USC_FT@LAX
but after a long delay for a gate checked bag (took them 9 hours to get me the bag)
Wow all the UA and TSA bashers are out today. I took this to mean the OP didnt wait around at their final destination till the bag finally showed up but it was delivered by UAs farmed out delivery service.

Before accussing UA or TSA is it at all possible that the driver that was delivering the bag was the person who went thru it, who wouldnt be a UA or TSA employee!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Wow all the UA and TSA bashers are out today. I took this to mean the OP didnt wait around at their final destination till the bag finally showed up but it was delivered by UAs farmed out delivery service.

Before accussing UA or TSA is it at all possible that the driver that was delivering the bag was the person who went thru it, who wouldnt be a UA or TSA employee!
But then it would have been a UA contractor. In any event, the bag was locked (with a TSA lock, but we know there are keys floating around for those).
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by craz

OP himself that it could have been several different people at different locations who are responsible. Why is it called bashing to point out that it wasn't necessarily just the UA baggage handler who may have been involved? Doesn't that mean that you are 'bashing' the delivery service by accusing the driver?

Numerous hands were on the bag, in a variety of locations. Nobody knows at this point who actually removed the item, and for whom they work.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Sorry to gripe, but after a long delay for a gate checked bag (took them 9 hours to get me the bag) I found that United employes had unlocked the TSA lock and stole a moderately expensive (and fairly bulky item) from my bag. Until now I thought the lack of integrity was only at the TOP (and yes, even on this trip I ran into many many employees who do have integrity and go out of their way to compensate for the lack of integrity at the top), but there is at least one employee (I guess not really a surprise) in baggage handling that is a criminal.

USC,
just so im clear here, you had to gate check your bag and they used the white tag vs the green tag correct? in sfo the bag did not make the connection correct? if it didnt make the connection it should have gone to the holding area for your destination and the tsa should not have had any reason to gain access to it, only other idea i can come up with is that the tag came off the bag enroute and a ual person had to gain access to it to identify the owner as long as you had no id on the outside of the bag, maybe the item fell out i dont know but my bets are on the ground people that have no integrity,morals or what ever you want to call it...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:43 am

LAX has an issue though that's been reported before:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2..._nation_fo.php

Like many mentioned before, we can't say it was a UA employee for sure but in the future, try FedEX/UPS or some other carrier when shipping valuables if you can.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:53 am

Please don't be so quick to judge. I'm not saying it was NOT a UA ramp employee but you don't know for sure who it was. What I do know, we don't have the time nor interest in going through your things. We are far to busy to worry about that and jeopardize our employement. I will say this, I am amazed at what some people do. Just the other day, I loaded a carryon, unzipped, with an Ipad showing. Where has common sense gone?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
There are bad apples everywhere in every major corporation who steal, lie, embezzle etc. UA, AA, Delta, all air carriers are not immune to it. I feel bad for the OP that it happened to them. I would be mad as hell if it happened to me, but I would agree that 99% of UA bag handlers are upstanding employees.

While I will be the first saying this merger went horribly, this could have happened with any airline.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosflyer
USC,
just so im clear here, you had to gate check your bag and they used the white tag vs the green tag correct? in sfo the bag did not make the connection correct? if it didnt make the connection it should have gone to the holding area for your destination and the tsa should not have had any reason to gain access to it, only other idea i can come up with is that the tag came off the bag enroute and a ual person had to gain access to it to identify the owner as long as you had no id on the outside of the bag, maybe the item fell out i dont know but my bets are on the ground people that have no integrity,morals or what ever you want to call it...
Yes, a white gate check tag. That tag was still on the bag when it was delivered. A tag with name and address was also on the outside of the bag. As to the poster who says I should have used UPS, well, I didn't choose to check my bag, it was with me through security. But when boarding the plane when told by the flight crew they must take it, one can not interfere with a flight crew. Yes there clearly were multiple people that touched this bag, so the question is which united employee or contractor stole from the bag, not whether one did.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:10 am

I found that United employes had unlocked the TSA lock and stole a moderately expensive (and fairly bulky item) from my bag
Sorry about the loss.

Was it a laptop???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.