Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus - 6 Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Exclamation MileagePlus - 6 Travellers

first thread - I am a complete novice when it comes to air miles schemes like this.

I have booked LHR-LAX-LAS-SFO-LHR for the 6 of us, after making a mileage plus account for myself only. My booking confirmation shows that I will receive up to 12,166 reward miles. Is this the number of miles for 6 travelers, or will I need to make 5 more MileagePlus accounts to receive 12,166 miles for each traveler.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by fbl786
first thread - I am a complete novice when it comes to air miles schemes like this.

I have booked LHR-LAX-LAS-SFO-LHR for the 6 of us, after making a mileage plus account for myself only. My booking confirmation shows that I will receive up to 12,166 reward miles. Is this the number of miles for 6 travelers, or will I need to make 5 more MileagePlus accounts to receive 12,166 miles for each traveler.
Welcome to FT! Those are just the miles for one person...you will need to create mileage accounts for each passenger if you want them to earn miles.. you are only able to earn miles for your own ticket.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:36 am
Original Poster

okay. thanks for your help SEA1k4EVR. Its much appreciated
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:45 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Maybe some of them will have their own accounts already. Check, and don't create duplicate accounts.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

can mileage plus miles be used as part payment?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
No. You can use miles to purchase a free ticket but you can't use them to reduce the price of a paid ticket.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No. United used to do "Miles + Cash" bookings, but they "temporarily suspended" it several months ago. It may or may not come back in the future.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Probably not in the sense you may be thinking about.

Airline miles can not be used to reduce the purchase price of a "paid" ticket.

Sometimes "award" tickets purchases can be a combination of miles and cash. UA had this at one time, it may come back.

Also in some cases, miles can be converted to cash and used to reduce the net cost of a purchase. For UA, Chase MP credit card miles can be converted to cash.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.