Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 872 aborted takeoff today due to overweight loading.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL 872 aborted takeoff today due to overweight loading.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
OK here's probably the answer.

We get final weights from our load planning after all passengers are boarded and bags, usually as we taxi out. We make sure we're legal and safe for takeoff.

In the past, this worked like clockwork. However, in the past couple months after an IT changeover (sound familiar?), there have been instances of crews getting new final weights after they take off that are incorrect. So with this in mind, pilots are much more careful and wary of their final weight products. On takeoff roll, they probably saw an ACARS message pop up, something that in the past we'd just ignore till airborne. But right now, thinking it might be another new final weights coming through and they were probably close to their maximum allowable takeoff weight, they elected to abort to make sure. It may feel like they slammed on the brakes but they were below 80 knots so it may feel violent, but in reality not that big a deal up front.

Just another example of your United pilots taking the safe decision in a very difficult operating environment we're in right now.

AD
As a former airline employee, there is very little about the airline industry that actually scares me. I must say that this statement by AD is actually a bit alarming. Timely, accurate weight and balance figures are essential to safe operation of an airline.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by CALMSP
UA & CO load planning is done differently, but typically, you are to have all of your final weights prior to pushback so any problems can be rectified at the gate, not at the runway. And if he was overweight, when he is punching in the numbers that were given to him at the gate, he would have known then that he was overweight, not at the runway.

That is what I thought. I was a flight attendant for UAL for 8 years and never once experienced this issue after take off. They know the weight and balance before the flight.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:13 am

You won't find me defending this management group for anything they've done with this merger, but I will say that we're not flying an unsafe airline, the pilots make sure of that.

AD
Much appreciated. Both, your involvement here, your honesty, and your commitment to safety.

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Where did he say anything about the pilots having to do things manually?
You're right. He didn't say that. I re-read the prior message and saw that he described getting a message in-flight that would normally be ignored but now must be considered because there is less faith in the quality of the data they had in the first place. I assumed that means we're depending on a pilot to do manual work while preparing for takeoff and such manual work wasn't required prior to CO takeover. But, I see that was an assumption on my part.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 6, 2012 at 12:24 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

You won't find me defending this management group for anything they've done with this merger, but I will say that we're not flying an unsafe airline, the pilots make sure of that.

AD
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Much appreciated. Both, your involvement here, your honesty, and your commitment to safety.
^^

Last edited by goodeats21; Aug 6, 2012 at 11:51 am Reason: added AD quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:42 pm

Load Planning is not. You have two different systems, work groups and procedures that are being done.
could be, but it only fell apart about a month ago. New procedure, new people, new something happened.

AD

UA & CO load planning is done differently, but typically, you are to have all of your final weights prior to pushback so any problems can be rectified at the gate, not at the runway. And if he was overweight, when he is punching in the numbers that were given to him at the gate, he would have known then that he was overweight, not at the runway.
you're incorrect. At least on the UAL side, we rarely have final weights prior to push back. A good day is prior to taxi, but that is rare as well. Usually on taxi out, over the past couple months many times sitting #1 waiting and having to ping load planning for the numbers.

The pilots wouldn't take off knowing they were overweight. The problem was the "updated" numbers being sent after they're on takeoff roll or airborne.

AD

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott

We get final weights from our load planning after all passengers are boarded and bags, usually as we taxi out. We make sure we're legal and safe for takeoff.

In the past, this worked like clockwork. However, in the past couple months after an IT changeover (sound familiar?), there have been instances of crews getting new final weights after they take off that are incorrect. So with this in mind, pilots are much more careful and wary of their final weight products. On takeoff roll, they probably saw an ACARS message pop up, something that in the past we'd just ignore till airborne. But right now, thinking it might be another new final weights coming through and they were probably close to their maximum allowable takeoff weight, they elected to abort to make sure. It may feel like they slammed on the brakes but they were below 80 knots so it may feel violent, but in reality not that big a deal up front.

Just another example of your United pilots taking the safe decision in a very difficult operating environment we're in right now.

AD
And why you are the best in the business as far as I'm concerned. Many thanks for all that you and your colleagues do.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
you're incorrect. At least on the UAL side, we rarely have final weights prior to push back. A good day is prior to taxi, but that is rare as well. Usually on taxi out, over the past couple months many times sitting #1 waiting and having to ping load planning for the numbers.

The pilots wouldn't take off knowing they were overweight. The problem was the "updated" numbers being sent after they're on takeoff roll or airborne.

AD
Just another difference in the way we do things. On the CO side our numbers are sent to us via ACARS and the ACCULOAD printed with the weights/V speeds prior to the before push checklist.

Very rarely do we get new weight figures during taxi, if we do it's for a runway change or adjusted passenger count.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

OP here.

That sounds entirely plausible. The only thing that had me wondering was the beefed-up TSA presence at the gate. I've seen TSA at the gate plenty of times but that, in combination with the aborted takeoff, had me wondering.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clubord
Just another difference in the way we do things. On the CO side our numbers are sent to us via ACARS and the ACCULOAD printed with the weights/V speeds prior to the before push checklist.

Very rarely do we get new weight figures during taxi, if we do it's for a runway change or adjusted passenger count.
Thank you for your clear response.

Despite innuendo and insinuations of unsafe operations posted by a sUA pilot as God's truth, it's helpful to have a little balance.

The two airlines run things differently.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by wpr8e

Despite innuendo and insinuations of unsafe operations posted by a sUA pilot as God's truth, it's helpful to have a little balance.
Have no idea what you're referring to. I've only explained what the OP could have been dealing with on their abort. What this poster said and I said are the same thing, only they're talking about L-CAL operations and I'm referring to the L-UAL operations. I guess it's the God's honest truth if that's what you want to call it.

AD
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by mitchmu
+ another ^
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Have no idea what you're referring to.
Pot, meet kettle. Seems like you have no idea either.

Originally Posted by clubord

Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Thank you for your clear response.

The two airlines run things differently.
Not buying this post, United's operation is very safe and I for one am looking forward to adopting many of their policies and procedures.

Also hoping some of the pilot pushing and creative scheduling techniques I've experienced at CO will go away once the merger is complete. But that's for another thread.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Too much food and booze in the front....offload some.

RJ's are always asking people to move if they need to redistribute weight. So there has to be some calc that says too much weight get rid of something.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:32 pm

Pot, meet kettle. Seems like you have no idea either.
Not about the L-CAL procedures, which this thread wasn't about. I just told what was happening on the UAL side of the house with load planning issues and why the abort probably happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.