Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 5, 12, 12:06 am   #1

Programs: UA Premier 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive, AMEX Platinum
5 fascinating facts about the new UA

Brought to you by Christopher Elliott:

5 fascinating facts about the new United Airlines
Old Aug 5, 12, 12:24 am   #2

Programs: UA GM
Great read. Thanks.

It's very interesting how they grade the flights. For places like SFO where weather delays are common and flights are full of elites, the grades for flights must be high. So who determines which flight gets delayed then?

Since transpacific flights probably have more elites than a narrow-body flight from SoCal, does the transpacific flight not get held during a weather hold?

Last edited by ual744777sta; Aug 5, 12 at 12:27 am.. Reason: Grammar
ual744777sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 1:09 am   #3

Programs: UA, Hilton Gold, SPG
Quote:
Economy Plus was supposed to be euthanized, until … Before the merger between United and Continental, United decided to do away with its premium economy class, which was being given to elite-level customers at no extra charge.
I think this is fascinating. If I'm reading this correctly, then this means that...PMUA was planning on axing E+? Seeing now that DL and AA (and I guess you could say CO as well) are adopting it, I'm surprised.

Also,

Quote:
Speaking of complaints, there’s a sense that the fee madness has ended and that a new era of “re-bundling” has begun. In the future, airlines like United will sell tickets that are packaged with onboard Wi-Fi, lounge access and the ability to pay a reduced change fee, in case your plans change, says Scott O’Leary, the managing director of customer solutions.
This sounds a lot like the 3-tiered fare model that F9 adopted a few years ago. This would be great if for an extra $50, you get E+, free bags, and no change fees— at least for GMs and Silvers.
char777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 1:34 am   #4

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: AA EXP. Former over-entitled UA 1k, now freeloading 1MM/*G
Assuming that these bundled tickets are in Y, I wonder if they've thought the idea of lounge access through - or will F passengers be offered automatic lounge access, too? And where are they all going to sit?
Passmethesickbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 2:01 am   #5

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, AA Plat (thanks AA), Various others of little note
Quote:
Originally Posted by char777 View Post
I think this is fascinating. If I'm reading this correctly, then this means that...PMUA was planning on axing E+? Seeing now that DL and AA (and I guess you could say CO as well) are adopting it, I'm surprised.

Also,

This sounds a lot like the 3-tiered fare model that F9 adopted a few years ago. This would be great if for an extra $50, you get E+, free bags, and no change fees— at least for GMs and Silvers.
It's the "de-kettle" fare. So anybody who didn't manage to get a credit card that gets them free bags and elite security can just buy a ticket that does that.
Boghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 5:18 am   #6

Programs: Over-entitled UACO 1K/MM & LTUC, CBP Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, Marriott Gold
Three impressions

1) For me the “flat tire” rule is the most useful information presented here
2) The United Clubs are already full to overflowing during peak periods
3) Good to see that Scott is still around

SunLover
Old Aug 5, 12, 6:19 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
1) For me the “flat tire” rule is the most useful information presented here
Yup, only that publishing it will it cause it to be abused and stopped completely.
HumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 7:14 am   #8

Programs: UA Silver
Quote:
So the next time your flight is delayed or diverted, and a United employee hands you a hotel voucher and rebooked airline ticket when you arrive instead of making you wait in a long line, you’ll know where to send the flowers.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I want some of whatever Christopher Elliott was smoking when he wrote that one.

Ohhh, my sides ache.
snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 7:23 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snic View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I want some of whatever Christopher Elliott was smoking when he wrote that one.

Ohhh, my sides ache.
Actually, I find the article reassuring, even if United isn't delivering on the promises made to Mr. Elliot. It shows that at least some of the management team "get" it, that it matters that a company that provides a service better be attuned to what the customers want and expect.
halls120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 7:30 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by char777 View Post
UA changed the model of selling E+ (more than once?) over the years. DL and AA are adopting (close to) the method that UA finaly settled on, but it's not the same method that UA started out with. (This oartucykar story is not talking about last year, it's going back in time a bit a few years, I think.)

Is there a summary of the different rules ofr access to E+ over the years somewhere?
sdsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:28 am   #11

Programs: UA1K, 2.6MM, AA, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Actually, I find the article reassuring, even if United isn't delivering on the promises made to Mr. Elliot. It shows that at least some of the management team "get" it, that it matters that a company that provides a service better be attuned to what the customers want and expect.
Agree with this "take" on the article. Wouldn't it be fascinating to sit in on one of these high level strategy meetings. At the moment, we customers feel invisible without the ability to speak (like a scene from the film Ghost). Glad to hear that there is at least some common sense at UA corporate.
StingWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:50 am   #12

Programs: The REAL UA 1K (7 Yrs) 974,000 Lifetime Miles SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Nat'l Car Exec ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
as long as someone in a C-level position thinks some passengers are 'over entitled' what the rest of the organization think is purely academic.
teramiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:50 am   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
Yup, only that publishing it will it cause it to be abused and stopped completely.
Except it was already widely known long before this article.

Frankly, I find it unfortunate that E+ seating was not eliminated. (Had UA done away with it, the other airlines would not have started to change their seating.) The day UA brought it out, I thought it stupid. Couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for it and for years E+ seats were empty until they started to get filled by FF elites and systemwide capacity was cut. Unfotunately, I think E+ helps to foster an attitude by FF elites that they are in fact better than those in other seats. Over entitlement!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 5, 12 at 10:21 am.. Reason: merge
Indelaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:55 am   #14

Programs: The REAL UA 1K (7 Yrs) 974,000 Lifetime Miles SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Nat'l Car Exec ,
I'll comment on what's fascinating.....that any of these ya-hoos actually feel they're making a difference. C'mon, this airline is now tier 3 no matter how fancy the digs.
teramiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 10:02 am   #15

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ual744777sta View Post
Great read. Thanks.

It's very interesting how they grade the flights. For places like SFO where weather delays are common and flights are full of elites, the grades for flights must be high. So who determines which flight gets delayed then?

Since transpacific flights probably have more elites than a narrow-body flight from SoCal, does the transpacific flight not get held during a weather hold?
This would explain a lot of my recent delays-- all on smaller, regional planes operating on non-elite heavy routes, or just plain off-peak non-elite heavy routes. So the trade-off is upgrade or on-time?
transparent is offline   Reply With Quote