Community
Wiki Posts
Search

earliest check in hnl

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

earliest check in hnl

I am currently in Kauai and have a flight back to HNL with Hawaian airlines to Honolulu and a seperate ticket with United to LAX in F

I am thinking of flying to HNL a few hours early and head into town, but dont wanna shlep all my suitcases with me. How much earlier will UA let me check in and drop of the bags in HNL before the flight

I know HA might check it through, but this is not a sure thing, so my question is, if they will not and I have to pick up my bags in HNL
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by moebod
I am currently in Kauai and have a flight back to HNL with Hawaian airlines to Honolulu and a seperate ticket with United to LAX in F

I am thinking of flying to HNL a few hours early and head into town, but dont wanna shlep all my suitcases with me. How much earlier will UA let me check in and drop of the bags in HNL before the flight

I know HA might check it through, but this is not a sure thing, so my question is, if they will not and I have to pick up my bags in HNL
HA checking it through is a sure thing..they interline with each other. You won't have any problems..just bring a printed copy of your United itinerary to the HA checkin desk.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

On their website they said, they dont do it

Connections between interline partner carriers must be made between 4 hours and the minimum connection time (varies), otherwise it is considered a stopover and you will need to collect your bags and check back in. If you have a separate confirmation code for a connecting flight, please check in with an airport agent at your point of origin. Beginning June 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the same ticket.

They dont always enforce the rules.
But I really just want to know what happens if they dont check it through, how much earlier can I check it in in HNL airport. Counters are open all day, as they have plenty of flights
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:29 pm

If you contact a rep at UA, he/she will tell you that you can check you bags as much as 3 hours before your flight. My experience in HNL has been that you can check-in your bags up to 4 hours before your flight.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Teeejay
If you contact a rep at UA, he/she will tell you that you can check you bags as much as 3 hours before your flight. My experience in HNL has been that you can check-in your bags up to 4 hours before your flight.
Thank you very much for your reply, so if I come 6 hours before the flight, my chances are very small?

Dont know if its worth it, if I only have 4 hours
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by moebod
Thank you very much for your reply, so if I come 6 hours before the flight, my chances are very small?

Dont know if its worth it, if I only have 4 hours
Try to do it with HA. It's a hit or miss recently [changed policy a few months ago, see thread on HA forum].

I think 6 hours should be fine at HNL. It's staffed all day and there are fights throughout the day, so there's little harm on keeping your bags till late night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.