Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Business First Seats on Continental 767 with non-lie flat seats

Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:18 pm
PPM
Original Poster

I just purchased a P business class airfare from EWR-MUC and MIL-EWR. Then, when I selected seats after the purchase, I realize that these are not full-flat seats. I logged onto seatguru, and see that they are 'recline" but not full-flat. Has anyone flown business in these seats? They are 2-1-2 across, and say that there is a 55 inch seat pitch and a 156 degree recline. What is really important to me (given that this itinerary was $3200+ versus 5400+ for a Z fare on the lie-flats) is a footrest that becomes level with the seat (e.g., parallel to the floor). Can anyone tell me if this is the case with this plane?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
EWR-MUC is a sCO 772, they're all lie-flat; pic fully reclined:

MXP-EWR is sCO 762, they're nowhere near flat; pic fully reclined:

For a daytime flight I think it's less critical to get a lie-flat, but the 762 seats are two decades old and beat up.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by mduell
EWR-MUC is a sCO 772, they're all lie-flat; pic fully reclined:
Is this true? I thought it was 762 on that route?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ani90
Is this true? I thought it was 762 on that route?
You are correct, they operate the 767-400ER on that route without lie flat seats. But depends on when the OP is traveling, there might be an aircraft change in the future.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:43 am

I've flown in the "old style" BusinessFirst seats for decades. Yes, the lie-flat is nice, but the old style isn't bad. I've slept very well on those 767s. The entertainment system sucks, but I now use an iPad or my laptop. Just remember to bring an adapter.

Avoid 1D (everyone trips over that seat). On the 767-200 be sure to sit toward the front since those flights board and disembark from door 1L. On the 767-400, the last two rows are served by the purser, so you either want the very front or very back.

Yes, I try to fly on the lie-flat aircraft, but you'll still enjoy a separate pasta course, BusinessFirst entrees, sundaes, a full breakfast, and a big pillow witha puffy blanket. Milan is known to fly very senior, so you should (theoretically) get experienced and polished NTA flight attendants.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:21 pm

We have a 767-400 on our Newark to HNL in November. What type of seats would they have? It is a 2 1 2 setup.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by hill6
We have a 767-400 on our Newark to HNL in November. What type of seats would they have? It is a 2 1 2 setup.
Right now it's scheduled to be the 20J seat configuration which have the barcoloungers. However there may be a possibility of an aircraft change and you get flatbeds on your flight.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Right now it's scheduled to be the 20J seat configuration which have the barcoloungers. However there may be a possibility of an aircraft change and you get flatbeds on your flight.
Thanks. The flatbeds would be nice on that long a flight.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Mats
I've flown in the "old style" BusinessFirst seats for decades. Yes, the lie-flat is nice, but the old style isn't bad. I've slept very well on those 767s. The entertainment system sucks, but I now use an iPad or my laptop. Just remember to bring an adapter.

Avoid 1D (everyone trips over that seat). On the 767-200 be sure to sit toward the front since those flights board and disembark from door 1L. On the 767-400, the last two rows are served by the purser, so you either want the very front or very back.

Yes, I try to fly on the lie-flat aircraft, but you'll still enjoy a separate pasta course, BusinessFirst entrees, sundaes, a full breakfast, and a big pillow witha puffy blanket. Milan is known to fly very senior, so you should (theoretically) get experienced and polished NTA flight attendants.
First of all, this is a PMCO route on a 767-400. Most of have been converted to lie flat AFIAK. The seat map shows the lie flat configuration. So, if true, they would have a good AVOD system also.

Secondly, they don't tell you about it. But there's an espresso machine on all PMCO 767s and 777s in BF. Just ask.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:32 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Just had an experience on a 767-200 old version with the business first product--the plane had been subbed in for a 757 from IAH-LAX on Friday. I was in the middle--2d? The seat all by myself. I found the seat to be terribly uncomfortable. The foot rest didn't come all the way up level, the lumbar wasn't working and the headrest was wobbly. It wasn't enjoyable at all. Plus the inflight was still branded as Continental. It was clear that I was on an old airplane. After experiencing the business first product to TLV, MAD and Rome--I can't see how this is even put out there anymore as business first. If I paid full freight and had this seat, I would be upset.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by jpsj
If I paid full freight and had this seat, I would be upset.
Not sure what is upsetting you - is it this particular seat 2D or the 762 BF product? Only five years ago so many were happy to pay "full freight" to sit up front even with those seats we claim to despise so
much. I think you need to sit in Y next time, then you would see 2D isnt so bad afterall....
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by jpsj
Just had an experience on a 767-200 old version with the business first product--the plane had been subbed in for a 757 from IAH-LAX on Friday. I was in the middle--2d? The seat all by myself. I found the seat to be terribly uncomfortable. The foot rest didn't come all the way up level, the lumbar wasn't working and the headrest was wobbly. It wasn't enjoyable at all.
I've always found this seat to be the worst experience of the combined fleets. An uncomfortable cushion and awkward short footrest never fail to team up to ensure no sleep. It's hard to believe this was the product they were offering until only a few years ago.

The pmUA intl. C barcalounger is far from faultless, but it is in fact more comfortable and offers the ability to sleep. Guessing the company agrees too, seeing they are sourcing these from the old p.s. birds for some 777 aircraft.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Are there plans to update these seats in the near future?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Even if your flight is scheduled w a 764 w old C seats, there is a better then good chance youll have an aircraft swap to the new seats. IAH-HNL is scheduled e the old seats but up seems like 50% of the flights are swapped for new seats. This is the only thing good about UA's crewed up scheduling & MX's. They have so many delayed flights that they end up just rushing around the last minute plugging holes
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2 Million Miler, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, QF
Just returned from IAH-EZE-IAH with the old style 762 seats. Though I prefer the lie flat seats on the 777, I am still able to sleep on the old style seats.
I see that they are changing equipment to a 763 on the IAH-EZE trip with lie flat seats, may see what that is like in a few months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.