Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Would this still count as a Europe-USA award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Georgia is in the Europe zone. Obviously there are no Georgia to USA direct flights. If I booked TBS-DOH-JFK as a 1-way J award, with DOH just being used as a connection (and 1 of only 2 1-stop options for TBS-JFK), would this still price as a 1-way Europe-USA award, or would they try to make it ME zone due to a connection in the ME? Also...what is the official word on QR bookings. I've been told as long as we book before 9/14 the bookings should be honored for a year, but most the idiot agents at UA refuse to listen to this policy. Is there anything official I can direct them to, since once they have it in their minds that they are right, they aren't so much up for listening.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If I call before 9/14, what are the odds I could get them to ticket

JFK-ICN OZ F
ICN-NRT UA F
NRT-TPE NH F
TPE-PVG CA F
(Stopover)
PVG-ICN OZ J
ICN-FRA OZ F
FRA-DOH QR J
DOH-TBS QR J
(Destination)
TBS-DOH QR J
DOH-ZRH QR J
ZRH-EWR UA F
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
1. It's a mid east award if touching down in Doha

2. It's going to be very difficult to find any agent Still willing to still tkt QR

3. I doubt that crazy routing in your 2nd post would survive the rate desk even if you could find an agent willing to book that. (and w no ststus thats ginna be impossible IMO) I believe your over the max segments anyway.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

JFK-ICN OZ F
ICN-NRT UA F
NRT-TPE NH F
TPE-PVG CA F
(Stopover)
PVG-ICN OZ J
ICN-FRA OZ F
FRA-DOH QR J
DOH-TBS QR J
(Destination)
TBS-DOH QR J
DOH-ZRH QR J
ZRH-EWR UA F
Your destination would be considered China in this example, so at the very least it wouldn't be a US-Europe award - it would be an award to Asia, with a stopover in Europe on the way back.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors

JFK-ICN OZ F
ICN-NRT UA F
NRT-TPE NH F
TPE-PVG CA F
(Stopover)
PVG-ICN OZ J
ICN-FRA OZ F
FRA-DOH QR J
DOH-TBS QR J
(Destination)
TBS-DOH QR J
DOH-ZRH QR J
ZRH-EWR UA F
I've attempted something like this before, and they said that US-Europe-MidEast-Asia is valid but US-MidEast-Europe-Asia is not valid (requiring 2 awards), so assuming you could find any agent willing to book QR for you, your FRA-DOH segment would violate the routing rules.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
1. It's a mid east award if touching down in Doha

2. It's going to be very difficult to find any agent Still willing to still tkt QR

3. I doubt that crazy routing in your 2nd post would survive the rate desk even if you could find an agent willing to book that. (and w no ststus thats ginna be impossible IMO) I believe your over the max segments anyway.
1. This is incorrect, I just flew CDG-DOH-TBS with the connection in DOH as only 7 hours, this was ticketed and charged at a Europe-Europe J ticket.

2. Why would it be "very difficult," it's either legal to ticket them or it isn't. This isn't an issue for agent discretion. So...is it allowed or not?

3. I have status with UA first of all, and it's 11 segments, which is definitely not over the amount allowed for a roundtrip award as far as I know. As long as it prices, it should be valid.

Originally Posted by 787fan
I've attempted something like this before, and they said that US-Europe-MidEast-Asia is valid but US-MidEast-Europe-Asia is not valid (requiring 2 awards), so assuming you could find any agent willing to book QR for you, your FRA-DOH segment would violate the routing rules.
Assuming I switched FRA-DOH-TBS to FRA-IST-TBS, would that be valid? As for the routing, the only difficulty I would really anticipate would be going ICN-NRT-TPE-PVG when there is an ICN-PVG direct (but in J), my routing allows all F flights and an overnight to visit a friend in TPE. Does anyone have an official rule on booking with QR pre-9/14 so I can direct the agent to it rather than "agreeing to disagree?"

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 27, 2012 at 9:48 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: VAG
Why do you need an agent to ticket things? I've been casually checking various routings online and QR routes still show up, no probs.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Why do you need an agent to ticket things? I've been casually checking various routings online and QR routes still show up, no probs.
lol @ thinking there is anyway an itinerary that complex would be able to ticket on .bomb. If I try to enter anything with multiple legs I get a system error. Booking online is worthless. I see the seats are there online, but some agents don't want to book QR because they have been told (incorrectly I believe) that they aren't allowed to anymore.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Booking online is worthless. I see the seats are there online, but some agents don't want to book QR because they have been told (incorrectly I believe) that they aren't allowed to anymore.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ds-9-14-a.html
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 (Bold): Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.576 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

You know what the official word is - anything booked by 9/14 should be valid. That said, good luck finding the agent who will ticket any QR segments at this point. You may be able to do it online and start to build your itin that way (book only QR flights first and then add everything else) but my guess is this will not work. Technically you are right that "the booking is not at the discretion of the agent" but they still have to request it and their first reaction will be that this is not possible to book so why bother.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by todorovic
You know what the official word is - anything booked by 9/14 should be valid. That said, good luck finding the agent who will ticket any QR segments at this point. You may be able to do it online and start to build your itin that way (book only QR flights first and then add everything else) but my guess is this will not work. Technically you are right that "the booking is not at the discretion of the agent" but they still have to request it and their first reaction will be that this is not possible to book so why bother.
I did it a month ago, although it took some work. Found the itinerary on .bomb first, when attempting to ticket it wouldn't go, so called in with the flight numbers to ticket it manually.

Note it priced out with the manual ticketing at an extra 10k or 20k miles (forget which) and that also required manual intervention to solve.

This did not include US-ME-EU; was US-ME-SA (South Asia/India) so didn't have that complex routing either.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I was looking for a one way J from Rome-DC and Ethiopian was available, FCO-ADD-IAD and UA wouldn't ticket it unless it was two one-ways
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
I was looking for a one way J from Rome-DC and Ethiopian was available, FCO-ADD-IAD and UA wouldn't ticket it unless it was two one-ways
I feel like ADD is significantly further out of the way. If I wanted to do JFK-DOH-TBS for example, DOH is one of the closer airports to TBS. The only other *A that is similarly nearby is IST, so i'm not sure it would be such a big deal.

If the official word is all pre-9/14 bookings are valid then who are the agents to "refuse" to make a legal booking for you? That's absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.