Live 787 Unveiling

Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I get where your coming from, but don't agree entirely. Another factor of the plane is the atmosphere. Many says 10 across on 777s are unbearable which I agree with for the most part, except when flying EK. EK's 777's put out an atmosphere which makes you forget it's 10 across, and the seats actually aren't that bad (the amazing AVOD helps). And frankly another factor is one's attitude. If you go into the flight thinking "It's going to be terrible, the seats are too skinny! I hate this!" you will feel uncomfortable. But if you go in with an open mind, the flight will be much better. Just my 2 cents though.
Noticing your posts from other threads, aren't you still quite young? I bet your frame fits fine in any Y seat, so I don't think your opinion really applies to an adult, especially the (male) business traveler.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I get where your coming from, but don't agree entirely. Another factor of the plane is the atmosphere. Many says 10 across on 777s are unbearable which I agree with for the most part, except when flying EK. EK's 777's put out an atmosphere which makes you forget it's 10 across, and the seats actually aren't that bad (the amazing AVOD helps). And frankly another factor is one's attitude. If you go into the flight thinking "It's going to be terrible, the seats are too skinny! I hate this!" you will feel uncomfortable. But if you go in with an open mind, the flight will be much better. Just my 2 cents though.
Have you ever taken a 14 hour flight on EK in Y? On a 777? I like to walk around when I fly from F thru C to Y and up again. I can't do that on EK. I want to cry for the people back there. It looks like something out of the old national geographic magazines but with the smell to go along with the beautiful local wardrobes.

My girl friend just became a "dedicated" 380 F/A last month w EK and she said the best part about it is not having to even look at 10 accross any longer....
(wait till the EK 380 rolls out next year with 880 Y seats (dedicated HAJ charters only). She will be begging to get back on a 777
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by United757
Noticing your posts from other threads, aren't you still quite young? I bet your frame fits fine in any Y seat, so I don't think your opinion really applies to an adult, especially the (male) business traveler.

If your implying that the majority of bussiness travelers are fat (which I'm sure is true ), then yes, my opinion shouldn't be taken into consideration. However I'm about the size of an "average person", so an average person can feel the same way I do.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Have you ever taken a 14 hour flight on EK in Y? On a 777? I like to walk around when I fly from F thru C to Y and up again. I can't do that on EK. I want to cry for the people back there. It looks like something out of the old national geographic magazines but with the smell to go along with the beautiful local wardrobes.

My girl friend just became a "dedicated" 380 F/A last month w EK and she said the best part about it is not having to even look at 10 accross any longer....
(wait till the EK 380 rolls out next year with 880 Y seats (dedicated HAJ charters only). She will be begging to get back on a 777

Not on a 14 hour flight, but on a good 8 hour, and I didn't feel any different, of course I was younger so thats a problem. My parents agree with me though...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:41 am

If your implying that the majority of bussiness travelers are fat (which I'm sure is true ), then yes, my opinion shouldn't be taken into consideration. However I'm about the size of an "average person", so an average person can feel the same way I do.

Not on a 14 hour flight, but on a good 8 hour, and I didn't feel any different, of course I was younger so thats a problem. My parents agree with me though...

For a "kid" it won't matter much. Even (at the risk of stereotyping) for the many passengers EK caters to in Y from South and West Asia where people are smaller it's no big deal. But I'm average size for a Caucasian of European parents (6'1" & 190 LBS) and no way could I sit in those seats for more then an hour. Frankly, I'm very surprised that EK who have always been so generous in everything they do (especially w C & F passengers) went this way with Y seating. They certainly do a good job in Y with entertainment and catering

Now, imagine those EK Y seats in a UA 787 but without the EK catering and without the ICE (over 1000 channels of IFE). Sounds like UA's 787's will be a disaster in Y. I would certainly book away from them if I was flying Y. (the good news is the windows are so big you can imagine jumping out that much easier)
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
For a "kid" it won't matter much. Even (at the risk of stereotyping) for the many passengers EK caters to in Y from South and West Asia where people are smaller it's no big deal. But I'm average size for a Caucasian of European parents (6'1" & 190 LBS) and no way could I sit in those seats for more then an hour. Frankly, I'm very surprised that EK who have always been so generous in everything they do (especially w C & F passengers) went this way with Y seating. They certainly do a good job in Y with entertainment and catering

Now, imagine those EK Y seats in a UA 787 but without the EK catering and without the ICE (over 1000 channels of IFE). Sounds like UA's 787's will be a disaster in Y. I would certainly book away from them if I was flying Y. (the good news is the windows are so big you can imagine jumping out that much easier)

I said my parents agreed with me, and they are standard size for Caucasains. To each his own, obviously.

UA's food isn't as good, however I consider the AVOD to be almost on par, at least it's enough. Seriously, the 787 won't be that bad.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: VAG

Has anyone calculated the aisle width yet?

We know it's gonna be 17-inch width, which is a disappointment but the same as the 744. We also know the cabin width is 16 inches less than the 777 which has 18-inch seats. So we lose an inch off each seat which leaves 3.5 inches to come off each aisle.

Alternatively, to cram ten-abreast in a 777 you'd also cut seat width down to 17 inches and then lose four inches off each aisle to give you the 17 inches you'd need for the last seat.

So yeah, this will be just one inch better than ten-abreast on a 777. Sounds awful. On the downside, every airline in the world will be doing it soon.

Ugh, I need to change jobs to something that'll let me fly C. Anyone hiring PhDs in theoretical physics?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Has anyone calculated the aisle width yet?

We know it's gonna be 17-inch width, which is a disappointment but the same as the 744. We also know the cabin width is 16 inches less than the 777 which has 18-inch seats. So we lose an inch off each seat which leaves 3.5 inches to come off each aisle.

Alternatively, to cram ten-abreast in a 777 you'd also cut seat width down to 17 inches and then lose four inches off each aisle to give you the 17 inches you'd need for the last seat.

So yeah, this will be just one inch better than ten-abreast on a 777. Sounds awful. On the downside, every airline in the world will be doing it soon.

Ugh, I need to change jobs to something that'll let me fly C. Anyone hiring PhDs in theoretical physics?
All airlines won't follow. In fact, some airlines are doing the opposite. Look at SQ's 1-2-1 config in C with lie flat seats. Airlines like UA or even BA fit TWICE as many seats in the same space. It all depends on the philosophy of the carrier. Airlines like SQ would rather sell every single seat to C paying passengers and not worry/care about upgrades or FF space. Airlines like UA or even BA have such large FF programs that Thry know they need at least some seats to go to awards, upgrades or even discounted biz fares like Z, P. This is the reason airlines like SQ/CK can also afford the catering, etc they have in C
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:07 am

I am fairly trim. I don't have a wide frame. But my shoulders overlap into the seat next to me on these 737/757s and probably the 787. I try to get a window or aisle seat so I can hang into the aisle or squash against the window. From what I understand, Boeing based the 707 cabin width to accommodate the body width of a U.S. soldier who was born in the great depression and grew up with the food shortages of World War II.

Hanging into the aisle and squashing against a window is apparently an assumption that was factored into cabin width.

It is not a Dreamliner, it is a Crammmmliner.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Engadget has posted a very comprehensive photo set of the interior.
http://www.engadget.com/photos/unite...er-interior-0/
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by JAaronT
Great pictures.

Y seats look pretty nice, and not too cramped. But, even half an inch can feel much different, but be hard to notice in a picture.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Great pictures! ^
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Amex Plat
Boeing prepares to deliver United's 787 Dreamliner

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/b...liner-handson/

Tons of Interior/Exterior photos in the original article

Boeing's 787 Dreamliner is the hottest bird in aviation, and while the American-made airliner has already taken flight with passengers aboard, it has yet to land with US-flag air carrier livery along the fuselage. Japan's All Nippon Airways was the first to take delivery, with the premier pair making their way from the assembly line in September of 2011. Last year Japan Airlines made its first scheduled voyage across the Pacific in a Dreamliner of its own, and we were fortunate enough to fly roundtrip on a domestic ANA flight leaving from Tokyo a few months later. But now the 787 is making its way to an American carrier. As the first US airline to operate the plane, United Airlines is about to take delivery of its first of 50 Dreamliners, which will join the carrier's fleet to service both existing and new routes, such as Denver to Tokyo, which is set to launch in late March of next year.

We traveled to Boeing's Everett, Washington factory today for a first look at United's aircraft. While the Dreamliner looks physically identical to ANA's plane, the on-board experience is decidedly different from what we saw in Japan. Though the Dreamliner has a very similar layout to United's bigger 777, it feels roomier thanks to larger windows with dimmable shades, expanded overheard bins and higher ceilings. There's plenty more to see, though, so jump past the break for a video tour of United's new mid-size flagship, and a closer look in photos.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
This is the first thing about United that has got me excited in ages!!!

Those windows are amazing
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Thank you. Great photos!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Great pics!!!!! Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.