Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live 787 Unveiling

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
Thinking that the 787 will rotate LAX-NRT-DEN-NRT-LAX...
I meant that in reference to the first six months in which the plane will be doing exclusively domestic hops.

As for what they'll do when DEN-NRT actually starts in March, the a/c is only on the ground in NRT for about 75 minutes, meaning a 787 will sit in DEN for at about 22 hours. The second aircraft will most likely not just sit in DEN, so it'll probably continue to do another domestic hop or two each day, or perhaps they'll start another int'l route out of DEN as some people hope.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by char777
I meant that in reference to the first six months in which the plane will be doing exclusively domestic hops.

As for what they'll do when DEN-NRT actually starts in March, the a/c is only on the ground in NRT for about 75 minutes, meaning a 787 will sit in DEN for at about 22 hours. The second aircraft will most likely not just sit in DEN, so it'll probably continue to do another domestic hop or two each day, or perhaps they'll start another int'l route out of DEN as some people hope.
I agree will probably see SFO/LAX-DEN in the first six months.

As for another domestic hop...maybe DEN-SFO to visit MOC?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Live 787 Unveiling

Lax-NRT on a 787? Yuck, what a downgrade
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
We can rule out IAH-DEN

Flight number starts at IAH, but as is so often the case, equipment change at DEN.

Actually, for all I know the flight number starts even before IAH, didn't research it that far

And probably continues to somewher in Asia with yet another equipment change at NRT.

EmailKid
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
So basically your response to my question is, "anything not connected to CO." Can you and your branding experts tell us what makes a good airline livery and how a good (or bad) livery can impact ticket sales and yields?
Yes, that is my response, thank you for taking the time to confirm your understanding.

Your second question is quite bizarre and it's no question your implication is that branding doesn't matter and that mediocirty is therefore acceptable.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
for such a remarkable aircraft, you don't even get direct aisle access in Business? sad....
This is truly disappointing-- state-of-the-art aircraft with 5-10 year old seating layouts... Direct aisle access is the main thing that drives me toward other *A airlines, or even non-*A.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Not so sure about that, I could imagine that the technology that goes into seats, IFE equipment and other customer ordered equipment was not frozen for those 3-4 years that the airlines had to wait for actual delivery of the aircraft. In other words, I don't think, technology came to a standstill at that time and the ordered equipment was stored in a hangar, mothballed until the aircraft became available?
Actually it was, it's why you don't see the latest systems and seats on any of the 787 airliners. Airlines aren't going to throw away brand new equipment or seats, just because they are slightly out of date. This was a big thing when ANA's dreamliners entered service people were commenting how behind the times the seats and systems were. (also explains why their first deliveries were in the regional configuration).
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
Oh, you poor dear

That won't be hard. The 787 is a long haul aircraft.......................
But re-designed on cabin width for short-haul comfort. There was that story about dreaded Emirates going to Boeing to widen the cabin to make it possible to squeezzzzzzzzzzzzeeee 9 across in coach.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
I agree will probably see SFO/LAX-DEN in the first six months.

As for another domestic hop...maybe DEN-SFO to visit MOC?
As United is taking delivery in a month, any firmer sense as to the domestic routes / schedules in the first six months?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
As United is taking delivery in a month, any firmer sense as to the domestic routes / schedules in the first six months?
The 787s will mostly be doing hub - hub flying, as well as EWR - MCO, IAH - MCO type of flights. So it should go something like EWR - MCO - IAH - LAX - DEN - ORD - SFO - IAD - MCO - EWR sort of pairings. I'm sure it won't be in that exact order but those are the cities it's expected to see. Also IAH - AMS and IAH - LOS are expected to go 787, which I believe will happen before year end.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Exclamation

I was on the turnaround ANA B-787 Dreamliner long haul inaugural HND-FRA-HND 21 January 2012, first long haul commercial flight of a B-787.

It was wonderful with all the different cabin colours, the wonderful staff and all the inaugural goodies gifts that were given to us by ANA. Not talking about the gate parties and fabulous on board service.

Simply magnificent.

Now... about the Conti-nited 787s?

I am not excited at all.
They should have the Tulip on the tail - not that fugly globe.
If I spot one in an airport somewhere, I won't even look at it.

Bring back the Tulip.
Bring back our old United with a U on the tail.

Then I will become a loyal United flyer again.

Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CDG1
I was on the turnaround ANA B-787 Dreamliner long haul inaugural HND-FRA-HND 21 January 2012, first long haul commercial flight of a B-787.

It was wonderful with all the different cabin colours, the wonderful staff and all the inaugural goodies gifts that were given to us by ANA. Not talking about the gate parties and fabulous on board service.

Simply magnificent.

I am not excited at all.

Bring back the Tulip.

Good. More space for me then. Not everyone cares so much about the outer color, if it's the only NA carrier with a 787.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Bring back the Tulip.
That's what's keeping you from flyilng UNITED

I'll let you know how the int'l inaugural goes. I'll be in one of the exit rows

Originally Posted by aacharya
Not everyone cares so much about the outer color, if it's the only NA carrier with a 787.
Not yet it's not. IIRC there were others in NA that ordered this bird, but CO was the launch customer.

EmailKid
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:47 pm

Simply magnificent.

I am not excited at all.

Bring back the Tulip.

Too bad the first set of 787s coming online are the sCO ordered ones. The sUA ones don't even come online till 2016.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Good. More space for me then. Not everyone cares so much about the outer color, if it's the only NA carrier with a 787.
Not everyone cares about the 787 either if another aircraft is more comfortable

The 772 is better in Y, and has F.

CO has made their 787 just a curiosity sake type of aircraft, not something to aspire to fly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.