Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 31, 12, 6:47 am   #1

gpu for r fare ticket?

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I tried searching but couldn't find my answer. I originally bought an economy ticket that I upgraded to business using money and miles. The ticket is now listed as R.
I was wondering if I can still apply a global premier upgrade to it to get first class?
R class isn't listed as not applicable on united page but it does say it's not applicable to award tickets, so I'm a little confused. Does any one know?

I'm still sort of new to all these upgrades.

Thanks
bbzidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 6:53 am   #2
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Nope. You can't do double upgrades.

R is a fare class for upgrades on 2-cabin birds or into Business on 3-cabin birds. O is for F on three cabin birds.
Old Jul 31, 12, 6:58 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K 2MM, SPG Plat 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbzidane View Post
R class isn't listed as not applicable on united page but it does say it's not applicable to award tickets, so I'm a little confused. Does any one know?
By rule, it's not doable. Some here have been offered $$$ buyups on upgraded tickets, so that is possible. Don't count on it, however.

Dave
bseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 1:58 pm   #4

thats what i thought

thanks for the clarification.
bbzidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 2:22 pm   #5

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, Million Mile Flyer;*wood plat, BA Gold
If you get offered a buy up to 1st, can you post it after that fact, what route and how much? Just curious. I am assuming if you use the self check-in kiosks at airport, it's more likely or has this also happened during on-line check-in as well?
Old Jul 31, 12, 7:37 pm   #6

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by bseller View Post
By rule, it's not doable. Some here have been offered $$$ buyups on upgraded tickets, so that is possible. Don't count on it, however.

Dave
Do you remember the amount? It may have just been a buy up to a first fare, which isn't really an upgrade but more of a ticket change. Last month I was offered an $11,000 buy-up to Global First LAX-SYD, which I'm pretty sure was just the price of a new ticket sans what I had already paid.
IADOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 6:15 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K 2MM, SPG Plat 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by IADOrange View Post
Do you remember the amount? It may have just been a buy up to a first fare, which isn't really an upgrade but more of a ticket change.
I paid something LESS than $700 for buy up to F on a SFO-SIN trip in 2010. Eightblack and I probably drank more Ruinart champagne than that in the lounge!

Dave
bseller is offline   Reply With Quote