Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denver to Amsterdam on New UA - Which is Best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres

I need to be in Amsterdam in early September. Because I need to be in Amsterdam relatively early in the morning, it appears that, at least for the outbound, I need to take a US carrier directly to AMS (i.e. no connection in Europe). As such, my options are as follows:

- via IAH (764; currently listed as the "old" CO 764)
- via ORD (763; appears frequently to be the reconfigured 763)
- via IAD (752)
- via EWR (752)
- US via CLT (752)

In Y (perhaps Y+), what option will afford me the most comfortable flight? My inclination is to do one of the 767 flights so as to be able to be by the window with only 1 seat next to me. How does the seat comfort and A/V on the sCO 764 (old config with personal tvs but no on-demand) compare to the sUA 763, sCO 752s, and US 752s?

Similarly, my inclination is to avoid ORD, EWR, and IAD, and fly through Houston, both to get a longer flight with a chance to sleep, well, to avoid ORD, IAD, and EWR (I have United Club membership). Does that make sense as well?

Thanks.

Last edited by NgatesSEA; Jul 30, 2012 at 8:49 am
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sorry that I can't address your specific questions, but if you really need to be in AMS in the morning for an important meeting or some other event you might seriously consider aiming to arrive the day before on whatever carrier works out best for you in terms of cost, convenience, etc. And these days, don't count on UA getting you there on time. Too many problems with IRROPS, overstretched staffs and fleet, etc.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I think you answered your own question if you want to avoid EWR, ORD and IAD.

I would go through ORD as the 763 has the most entertainment options, plus your definitly have E+
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I'd go with the sure thing to get E+ which would be the 763 via ORD. Any of the other options will be a gamble for right now until all of those planes are reconfigured.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
The PMUA economy class seats are much more comfortable then pmco's seats so I would avoid IAh. I also have had to fly through IAH and while the food court options are better then ORD, I have had many late flights or more in IAH the I have had in ORD. Also I do not find the employees in IAH to be friendly. In the past I would choose IAD but with a 757 on the route it is not an option for me to Europe. I would choose IAH over IAD now just for a 767, but it is an uncomfortable 767 from IAH.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I'd go with the sure thing to get E+ which would be the 763 via ORD. Any of the other options will be a gamble for right now until all of those planes are reconfigured.
+1, at least on the outbound. (I dislike ORD when returning from overseas because of the trek from Terminal 5 to the connecting flight in Terminal 1 to DEN.) You'll have E+ with AVOD, and an extra hour of flight time in which to sleep.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I flew IAH-AMS a few weeks ago, and it was on a new 767. AVOD, E+, etc. Maybe that's a good sign that the route will stick around awhile, since the soon-to-go-away IAH-CDG, which I'm on in September, still uses the old 767s.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by festdave
I flew IAH-AMS a few weeks ago, and it was on a new 767. AVOD, E+, etc. Maybe that's a good sign that the route will stick around awhile, since the soon-to-go-away IAH-CDG, which I'm on in September, still uses the old 767s.
There is no route that is always assured of having the new config or old config. IAH-CDG gets the new seats on some days and the old seats on some... the same will go for IAH-AMS. Today, for example.. UA32 IAH-CDG has the new config. All of the 764 seat maps booked in advance will show the old seats because UA doesn't know until close in what equipment will ultimately be used and they don't want to disappoint people who booked thinking they would be assured of the new seats and then get the old. You might get them on your CDG flight in September..in fact, the odds are in your favor that you will.

New seats are not an indicator of the future of the route's existence.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
I've heard complaints about the Y seats' comfort on sCO 767s and 777s. Are the newly-configured 764s any better in Y?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The reality is that Y is Y; a little better a little worse it is the same stuff.
If you can get E+ then it is a nice bonus.
I like the 757-200 reclining row but its not like you will be able to lie flat.

If you have an important meeting then meals and IFE is not relevant since you most likely want to try to sleep anyway.

The most relaxing way to do this is fly the easiest connection and arrive the day before. I would not risk it. If the meeting is important then definitely leave a day earlier, have a nice dinner is AMS, a little stroll around the city, sleep in a comfy bed and be ready the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.