Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club, another change that I think you'll like (d/credit for prem. bar drinks)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club, another change that I think you'll like (d/credit for prem. bar drinks)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Ugleeual
Well drinks and beer/wine free?
As always. This is just for the premium wines / spirits.

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
(Third time I have posted this...have no idea why my posts keep disappearing in this thread.)

+1. COmpletely agree. Limiting choice is not good. Slippery slope.
I wonder if other airlines will follow.
Slippery slope to what?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
How is this customer-unfriendly? And who uses cash anymore except, apparently, the OP?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I take a lot of taxis in NYC and when I psy by card, the tip is ALWAYS higher. I dont see what the big deal is. Anyone that is going to give the bartender a buck regardless of if the drink is free or on a card it still going to give the bartender a buck. This whole thread reads like a non issue. The only difference is the bar tenders may have to bring a few singles to work with them to make change themselves. Ive seen other places that do that. Most drinks served in the U clubs are free anyway so why would anyone sop tipping? For the few drinks that are not free, so big deasl, you put the tip on your card instead of paying for it in cash

This is one of those threads that prove people on FT will debate anything. Surprised no one has started a thread on th color of the tile yet in the Bathrooms at IAH
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Dumb question: To run a debit/credit card the merchant has to pay a merchant processing fee, usually between 2 and 4%. By eliminating all cash for these purchases, won't United be losing money (in however small increments) as now all purchases, not just some, are subject to this fee?
Not a dumb question at all.

If you are doing card in hand transactions (swiped), your paying 2.25-3%.

Your easily spending 8-10% with handling (counting, getting change, bank/night deposits, etc.) cash. And the 8-10% doesn't include the variables (theft, robbery, honest mistakes... selling a drink for 4 miles ).

Generally when comparing charge cards to cash:
  • Average ticket is higher with chargecards
  • Tips are higher with charge cards
  • Accounting errors are less with chargecards

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Jul 31, 2012 at 8:43 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I dont see what the big deal is. This whole thread reads like a non issue.
In the grand scheme of things, not an issue. I would still prefer to have the option to pay with cash. I don't want to put a $5 drink on a d/credit card.

Most drinks served in the U clubs are free anyway so why would anyone sop tipping?
Because its not about the drinks being free, but the bartender preparing them. That's why I thought most people tipped, not because of the cost of the drink.

For the few drinks that are not free, so big deasl, you put the tip on your card instead of paying for it in cash
It's just annoying. I'm sure there are good reasons for going cashless, doesn't make it any less annoying that I can't use cash. Don't be confused.

This is one of those threads that prove people on FT will debate anything. Surprised no one has started a thread on th color of the tile yet in the Bathrooms at IAH
Sure does. Good idea about the tile!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theblakefish
How is this customer-unfriendly? And who uses cash anymore except, apparently, the OP?
Me. I won't get into why but I primarily pay with cash on my travels these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.