Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is UA Really Phasing Out Global First? {Yes}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is UA Really Phasing Out Global First? {Yes}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milepig
This. There is only one gate connected directly to the GFL, but an agent will otherwise collect you and walk you to your gate and see you on board. This seems to be a relatively new service??
The agent at the LAX GFL rounded us all up and lead us out of the lounge to the flight from SYD about 15 min after boarding had started. She then walked up and had one of the gate agents move people aside, she had all of our stubs and handed them to them and then ushered us into the plane. ^
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The agent at the LAX GFL rounded us all up and lead us out of the lounge to the flight from SYD about 15 min after boarding had started. She then walked up and had one of the gate agents move people aside, she had all of our stubs and handed them to them and then ushered us into the plane. ^
I don't know how many of you remember this: in the 90s, this is how it was always done. The agent with the red rose in her lapel would take you directly from the lounge to the flight at the last minute, blasting through the crowds. If the gate was far, they would take you in a cart. Sigh.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
The main problem with GF is that UA is over-promising. UA should re-brand GF as Business Plus. More personal space but otherwise the same service. Just like Economy Plus. If UA were simply honest about it, there would be fewer complaints.
UA certainly has the hardware to have a top tier intl F cabin. If they really wanted to, they can easily improve the soft product by having FAs assigned to GF be there based on merit rather than seniority, improve the catering so that it's not a glorified BF meal, etc...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
UA certainly has the hardware to have a top tier intl F cabin. If they really wanted to, they can easily improve the soft product by having FAs assigned to GF be there based on merit rather than seniority, improve the catering so that it's not a glorified BF meal, etc...
Exactly. If they wanted to offer a competitive F product, they could do it. They just don't want to.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Exactly. If they wanted to offer a competitive F product, they could do it. They just don't want to.
How many folks actually buy GF with $$$$ versus buy C and upgrade or use miles? If the percentage of people who buy is relatively low then perhaps UA should utilize the cabin space more efficiently. Significantly improving GF because people say "if it was a better product I'd buy it" is a roll of the dice on UA's part, in my view.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Time traveller
AFAIK, some flights out of ORD board directly from the IFL.
Only flights out the back door at C18.

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I think boarding GF passengers with 50+ Group 1 passengers speaks a lot as to how UA values GF passengers.
Yep. Yet another reason it became easy to switch to OALs, even if said OALs do the same thing.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
This is true, and when my flight has used a different gate, one of the GFL agents has walked me around back of the gate in order to avoid the scrum. ^
Glad to hear that UA is coming to some sense about int'l F preboarding. As Time traveller noted, it's pretty ridiculous to have F customers boarding with 50+ people in Group 1.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
How many folks actually buy GF with $$$$ versus buy C and upgrade or use miles?
If UA continues to make the F product less competitive, then fewer and fewer. So can you identify the problem?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How many folks actually buy GF with $$$$ versus buy C and upgrade or use miles? If the percentage of people who buy is relatively low then perhaps UA should utilize the cabin space more efficiently. Significantly improving GF because people say "if it was a better product I'd buy it" is a roll of the dice on UA's part, in my view.
Given that the current management's idea of offering a competitive C product is to cut is so badly that your meals become a joke on Twitter, I think the bigger crapshoot is to believe that there is anyone at UA who knows how to offer a better GF product.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
On the LHR-EWR GF flight once I got to the gate about 7-10 min before boarding I didn't line up because I ASSuMEd they may call GS/GF...they didn't. I'll admit I tried to cut around to the 2nd podium where G2 would have gone through after some G1 people were already going in...the GA there then told me to go around to the back of the line.
I tweeted to UA saying I would have hoped that on 3 class flights that GF would have boarded before G1 and/or with GS. They just sent back the basic link showing boarding procedures.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
On the LHR-EWR GF flight once I got to the gate about 7-10 min before boarding I didn't line up because I ASSuMEd they may call GS/GF...they didn't. I'll admit I tried to cut around to the 2nd podium where G2 would have gone through after some G1 people were already going in...the GA there then told me to go around to the back of the line.
I tweeted to UA saying I would have hoped that on 3 class flights that GF would have boarded before G1 and/or with GS. They just sent back the basic link showing boarding procedures.
In my experience the pmUA employees at pmUA hubs, having dealt with 3-cabin flights for decades, will allow one to cut to the line if they are ticketed into intl. United First. All of my GA friends think the way F boards with the entire group 1 is insulting and ridiculous, so they try and take matters into their own hands, either by pre-boarding, or allowing F to board at anytime.

Having used EWR for a few flights to Heathrow, I saw them actively turn back F passengers who walked up to the front during group 1 boarding. If anybody from UAL is reading this, you should be embarrassed by all of this.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
The problem with this logic is that it assumes high frequency J buyers (mostly GS folks I would guess) will continue to pay the same J fare on a 2 cabin plane. If there is GF and I don't buy A I will buy D/C/J and upgrade. If it's a 2-cabin cattle car, I'm buying the absolute cheapest P/Z fare (substantially less then D, let alone C or J) or upgrading. This needs to be modeled by UA before removing GF.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
The problem with this logic is that it assumes high frequency J buyers (mostly GS folks I would guess) will continue to pay the same J fare on a 2 cabin plane. If there is GF and I don't buy A I will buy D/C/J and upgrade. If it's a 2-cabin cattle car, I'm buying the absolute cheapest P/Z fare (substantially less then D, let alone C or J) or upgrading. This needs to be modeled by UA before removing GF.
While that may your plan, and while your travel patterns may allow it, I don't think it will be a major issue to this UA.

You already flying in C on the multitude of routes that are only 2-class. Are you presently buying P/Z fares on those routes? If not, why not?

I doubt you are regularly buying W fares and upgrading on those routes as you likely wouldn't requalify for GS if you did.

Are your travel patterns such that you can buy essentially nonchangeable P/Z fares? Do you buy those tickets far enough in advance to meet the advance purchase requirements of most P/Z fares?

Due to the pre-CO planes only having two class, and this airline run by pre-CO management, I suspect they have or will determine that they don't need Global F and those flying in C will continue to do so.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Due to the pre-CO planes only having two class, and this airline run by pre-CO management, I suspect they have or will determine that they don't need Global F and those flying in C will continue to do so.
Definitely the most logical & probable outcome :-:
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
The problem with this logic is that it assumes high frequency J buyers (mostly GS folks I would guess) will continue to pay the same J fare on a 2 cabin plane....
I thought of that. Perhaps some folks who regularly buy J will chime in and indicate if they'll switch airlines if GF goes away.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I thought of that. Perhaps some folks who regularly buy J will chime in and indicate if they'll switch airlines if GF goes away.
United is now a carrier for those locked into captive hubs, those on corporate contracts (and those contracts are diminishing in number), Kayakers, and those who just don't know any better.

If they have stuck with UA with all the declines since it became CO, those GS members aren't going anywhere else. If they would, they would have done so already.

They may not want GF to go away, but they are not going to leave the airline because of it. They are flying in business on all the CO aircraft anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
I regularly buy GF because even the pmUA BF seat is too short for me, the PMCO BF seat is way too short.
The downgrade in service has caused me moving as much spending to other carriers as I could manage and still keep GS.
The GF experiences this year make me think about abandoning GS and move all international travel next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.