Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 29, 12, 4:39 pm   #1

Programs: Primary: AA & Hilton HHonors; Also United Premier, *wood
Upgrade of award ticket questions

Hi all... My first post to the United forum as I'm usually on AA. And yes, I did a search first and didn't find anything. If you have a better search record than I do, pls post the link vs. flaming me.

My girlfriend and I going SFO-OGG this week on an award ticket, sitting in Economy Plus. I notice this morning that there's lots of inventory available in F. I'm Premier Gold on United via status match from AA.

Any chance of getting comp upgraded to F? If so, any recommended methods to request this?

Thanks!
206013671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 4:47 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K, BA Blue, Hilton Gold
From the Upgrades Section of UA.com.

Quote:
Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card
Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Emphasis mine. So if you have an explorer card (or can get one in a week) then you might have a shot, but you'd be very very low down the pecking order. Unfortunately you're girlfriend doesn't even have that chance.

If there is F saver award availability open and you have the spare miles, it would be worth the $25 to change the tickets IMHO.
alex_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 5:52 pm   #3

Programs: Primary: AA & Hilton HHonors; Also United Premier, *wood
Thanks Alex. I appreciate the help. I don't have those cards, and I reviewed the upgrade policies for Hawaii. So I'll just enjoy Economy Plus!
206013671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 12, 6:29 pm   #4

Programs: UA 1K, BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206013671 View Post
Thanks Alex. I appreciate the help. I don't have those cards, and I reviewed the upgrade policies for Hawaii. So I'll just enjoy Economy Plus!
You're welcome, have you checked for F award availability, if it's there I've never had an issue swapping into it (although I'm a Plat so avoid any fees).
alex_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 12, 4:43 pm   #5

Programs: United
Complimentary Upgrade using Miles

Going on a trip to Kauai in Sept with a friend. I bought my ticket so hopefully I'll get a comp upgrade since I'm 1k. I used miles from my acct to buy my friend's ticket since I have a Pres Plus MC. Last Jan I did the same thing for a trip and was advised to ask CO to change booking class to X class so my friend would be in line for an upgrade even though I used miles from my acct and it's my credit card acct. It worked and my friend got his upgrade.

I understood there was some glitch within CO which made this possible. Is that still the situation? Thanks
UACOflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 12, 7:05 pm   #6

I was under the impression that if a MP member with elite status AND a Presidential Plus/United Club credit card redeems miles for an award ticket in someone else's name, the ticketed passenger receives the same elite status upgrade benefits. This is not a glitch...it is an advertised benefit that is offered to United Club cardholders. I didn't think there was any requirement to be ticketed in a specific fare class for this to work. Others with more experience in this area can chime in with more details.
vortix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 12, 7:14 pm   #7

Programs: UA Gold (former five year 1K), SPG Gold, Hertz 5*Gold
Good luck with a comp upgrade on an award ticket; while the rules do state that Elite members with the Mileage Plus Visa Card are eligible for these upgrades, they are incredibly difficult to get. And, your friend (unless and elite member) is technically not eligible for this benefit.

These upgrades are prioritized on the lowest level (day of, once all other elite upgrades are processed), but Hawaii flights might be easier since they aren't as elite heavy.
globetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 5:06 pm   #8

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Good luck with a comp upgrade on an award ticket; while the rules do state that Elite members with the Mileage Plus Visa Card are eligible for these upgrades, they are incredibly difficult to get. And, your friend (unless and elite member) is technically not eligible for this benefit.

These upgrades are prioritized on the lowest level (day of, once all other elite upgrades are processed), but Hawaii flights might be easier since they aren't as elite heavy.
Here's a data point:

I'm 1K and just got upgraded on a SFO-LHR award flight today. This is actually my first award flight since the new rules were added, so I'm 1 for 1. Given I'm going to London during the Olympics and still got upgraded, it may be easier to get the CPU for international flights.
lrluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 5:18 pm   #9

Programs: 1K|MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrluis View Post
Here's a data point:

I'm 1K and just got upgraded on a SFO-LHR award flight today. This is actually my first award flight since the new rules were added, so I'm 1 for 1. Given I'm going to London during the Olympics and still got upgraded, it may be easier to get the CPU for international flights.
Your flight is not CPU eligible, nor is it eligible for any kind of upgrade via a connection with your credit card. You got upgraded another way. If it was a total surprise to you, I would guess it was an operational upgrade.
anc-ord772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 2:45 am   #10

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Quote:
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
Your flight is not CPU eligible, nor is it eligible for any kind of upgrade via a connection with your credit card. You got upgraded another way. If it was a total surprise to you, I would guess it was an operational upgrade.
Although you seem like a savvy FT'er (based on your number of posts), I may actually would have to disagree with you here. I don't see anything on the United site which tells me that my flight was ineligible for an upgrade: United CPU T&C's. The rules for revenue and award tickets look to be different and from how I read this, is that as long as you're a premier member traveling on UA metal (irrespective of regions) and own a valid credit card, you are eligible for a CPU.

Quote:
Upgrading award tickets
Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
lrluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 3:10 am   #11

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrluis View Post
and from how I read this, is that as long as you're a premier member traveling on UA metal (irrespective of regions) and own a valid credit card, you are eligible for a CPU.
Key point bolded .. your 'interpretation' of UA policy is frankly overly-optimistic.

Chances that UA allows CPU on all regions for award tix only vs this is a glitch? come on now .. you're grasping at straws ..
kyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 12, 10:36 pm   #12

Programs: UA 1K,M&M FTL, A3 *G
GPU on award

Hi,

I could not find if a GPU can be applied when booking an award from an 1K account.
Does it work?

I read about some surprise upgrades, but what are the rules?

Thx
flymexico2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 12, 10:38 pm   #13
Moderator, United Airlines, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymexico2010 View Post
... I could not find if a GPU can be applied when booking an award from an 1K account. ...
1Ks can not use GPUs on award flights.
WineCountryUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 12, 4:37 pm   #14

Programs: MP 1K, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Adding a question to this thread, I got my 1K status last month. I also have a PP Card for Business. How do I go about requesting a CPU for an award ticket. I called MP, they bumped me to reservations and reservations to me to call the PPlus credit card.

I have an award ticket on the non-stop from EWR to ITO for Jan and would like to upgrade. I'm also contemplating getting an award ticket for LAX to SYD for Feb '13. If my first trip works out, then I'll try to use my award for SYD. Any help on how to request the CPU is appreciated.
acader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 12, 5:35 pm   #15

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by acader View Post
Adding a question to this thread, I got my 1K status last month. I also have a PP Card for Business. How do I go about requesting a CPU for an award ticket. I called MP, they bumped me to reservations and reservations to me to call the PPlus credit card.

I have an award ticket on the non-stop from EWR to ITO for Jan and would like to upgrade. I'm also contemplating getting an award ticket for LAX to SYD for Feb '13. If my first trip works out, then I'll try to use my award for SYD. Any help on how to request the CPU is appreciated.
CPU is only for domestic flights- the system automatically requests it
sidestep is offline   Reply With Quote