Wiki Posts
Search

Inoperable Seat...Was I IDB'd

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Inoperable Seat...Was I IDB'd

Was booked into upgraded F on a PS flight. The SFO flight that I was on announced a maintenance delay so I tried to get on the LAX. Went to the LAX gate agent and was told "I'm working this flight, have the platinum desk do it." I called up the platinum desk and they put me on. When I went back to the desk she said "we don't have a seat for you." I was told that one of the seats was totally inoperable and unsafe for a passenger to sit in. Thus, there was no room on the flight. They claimed to have blocked the seat and that somehow the platinum desk unblocked it, and it was their (the desk's) fault for all of this. I went to a service director, and he said the same thing, that it was the platinum desk's fault, and that I should have them rebook me.
Is this an IDB and should I have been compensated under DOT regs? If so, what should I do now?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Was booked into upgraded F on a PS flight. The SFO flight that I was on announced a maintenance delay so I tried to get on the LAX. Went to the LAX gate agent and was told "I'm working this flight, have the platinum desk do it." I called up the platinum desk and they put me on. When I went back to the desk she said "we don't have a seat for you." I was told that one of the seats was totally inoperable and unsafe for a passenger to sit in. Thus, there was no room on the flight. They claimed to have blocked the seat and that somehow the platinum desk unblocked it, and it was their (the desk's) fault for all of this. I went to a service director, and he said the same thing, that it was the platinum desk's fault, and that I should have them rebook me.
Is this an IDB and should I have been compensated under DOT regs? If so, what should I do now?
Given you were originally ticketed in business class, you are not entitled to a first class seat if things go wrong.

Questions:
1. Why did you not have them put you back on the SFO flight?
2. If you did not get on either the LAX or SFO flights, why did you leave the gate without compensation?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Here's a couple more details if that helps:
The ticket was Business C, and a mileage supported upgrade was used for F. They gave my seat away on the SFO flight when the plat desk moved me and both flights went out full. I left the gate because the Service Director told me that it was all the desk's fault and they had to handle it. I asked for the Station Manager but was told they were not in at that time, which is it's own problem @ 9 AM on a Friday when you had massive Irrops the night before and that day. I left the airport because I was rebooked out of LGA an hour and a half later. If I didn't take that, I'd have to wait until 5:30 PM, which wasn't an option.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Being technical:

1. I think that an inoperable seat might be safety and therefore void IDB.

2. Also, were you checked in for the flight at least 30 minutes before flight time? I know it wasn't your fault, but from the description, you might not meet that part of IDB in any case.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

I was checked in for SFO way ahead of time, but the change to LAX was done while boarding was taking place. I'm not sure if the check in held when the flight was changed but the change took place at 8:02 for a flight that departed at 8:30. The mx delay on SFO was announced @ 7:58.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Given you were originally ticketed in business class, you are not entitled to a first class seat if things go wrong.
Maybe not, but certainly to *a* seat. Smells like IDB to me.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Deleted - Wrong Information

Last edited by garykung; Jul 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
Originally Posted by sbrower
I think that an inoperable seat might be safety and therefore void IDB.
It is still IDB - one perfect example for safety-based IDB is weight restriction.
I think airlines are excluded from IDB on weight restrictions. Sometimes, they look for vdb's, but are not required to pay.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by 1KHI
I think airlines are excluded from IDB on weight restrictions. Sometimes, they look for vdb's, but are not required to pay.
All forms of DOT-mandated denied boarding compensation only apply to over bookings--they do not apply to any safety-related situations.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Pretty sure the plane has to have less than 50 seats for the airline not to have to give out IDB compensation for a weight restriction.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Deleted - Wrong Information

Last edited by garykung; Jul 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:18 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I wonder if you were ever actually checked in for the flight?

Did you have a boarding pass?

If not, I can't see how you'd get IDB compensation.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by garykung
It is definitely no truth - if the airline can IDB without payment for weight restriction, why do they need VDB?
They don't need it. But many airlines (such as AA) actually try to be fair to their customers (sometimes).
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Got a response from CCS. They more than made me whole. I'm very pleased with how they handled it. I got a call from the station manager and the VP for Ops in NYC. Very impressed. ^
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Got a response from CCS. They more than made me whole. I'm very pleased with how they handled it. I got a call from the station manager and the VP for Ops in NYC. Very impressed.
What path did you take to solicit that response?

That would be valuable to know. I'm glad it turned out well for you. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.