Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Get the UA.com google chrome extension - it's awesome for searching for R space. Sorry I don't have the link off the top of my head, it's around here someplace.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Appreciate the info. Is 1 RPU good for a connection if a nonstop or will that require 2?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
When you use an RPU, you don't need to pay any co-pays or additional mileage and you can upgrade both legs with a connection. I don't believe UA flies any flat beds out of LAX to Hawaii anymore, may be worth it to fly up to SFO or DEN if you can confirm yourself with a flat bed. You can tell by the seat map.

Good luck
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Got it. Thank you. I just did a search and clicked the 'mileage plus award" button and sure enough R space showed. However it then said "27,500 miles". Is that in addition to an RPU? How do I apply it? Do I have to call an agent?
I'm no expert at this, but I don't think you use the "award" button to search for R space.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post19508361

After you update your profile, do a regular search, and the "Fare Class" will become a hyperlink. Find one with R space. Then book the flight you want. Hopefully R space will still be available after your reservation is ticketed. You can then upgrade it using your RPU. You'll need two RPUs for a round trip. If you're making a connection, I think you can upgrade both segments with a single RPU.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by Madone59
Get the UA.com google chrome extension - it's awesome for searching for R space. Sorry I don't have the link off the top of my head, it's around here someplace.
i recall that google disabled that extension as it wasn't one (as well as the RDM / PQM calculator and GPU upgradable fare search extensions) that came through their outlets. i loved it but now i'm back to just using the native UA.com expert mode.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eleeut
i recall that google disabled that extension as it wasn't one (as well as the RDM / PQM calculator and GPU upgradable fare search extensions) that came through their outlets. i loved it but now i'm back to just using the native UA.com expert mode.
works like it always did ...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
works like it always did ...
i'll have to try to set it up again then. i lost it several months back and pretty sure i ran into that wall.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:19 pm

looks like i have it working again on Chrome. when i downloaded the extension it came through a google source.

OP (and any one else), courtesy of sbm12:

R & Award Space Search Tool
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In addition to the other links, also suggest

MileagePlus upgrade regions and eligible fares
and

Regional Premier Upgrades
and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-thread.html

the above will answer 99% of the questions (except for the key -- "will it clear").
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Got it. Thank you. I just did a search and clicked the 'mileage plus award" button and sure enough R space showed. However it then said "27,500 miles". Is that in addition to an RPU? How do I apply it? Do I have to call an agent?
Originally Posted by mduell
Yes. Find a flight with R space available, buy a ticket, click upgrade. All published fares are eligible.
Emphasis mine. No, the the 27,500 miles is not in addition to an RPU. RPUs require no co-pays.

Just click through, and you will get a dialog that lets you use an RPU.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Emphasis mine. No, the the 27,500 miles is not in addition to an RPU. RPUs require no co-pays.

Just click through, and you will get a dialog that lets you use an RPU.
Great info all, thank you.

As a platinum status earned the hard way....segments...I am disappointed to see the only way to earn further RPU's is via EQM's and not segments. Oh well.

ETA I just read that I will get two more deposited after 30 segments but there was some caveat about 1K status. I will make plat again this year but not 1K. Does that matter?

Last edited by enviroian; Jan 7, 2015 at 7:32 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfosyd
When you use an RPU, you don't need to pay any co-pays or additional mileage and you can upgrade both legs with a connection. I don't believe UA flies any flat beds out of LAX to Hawaii anymore, may be worth it to fly up to SFO or DEN if you can confirm yourself with a flat bed. You can tell by the seat map.

Good luck
Good call. Looks like UA 300 on a 764 from sfo is lie flats.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Good call. Looks like UA 300 on a 764 from sfo is lie flats.
UA300 could never be a 764, that's an sUA flight number.

UA72 and UA73 are the SFO-HNL routes that utilize the 764.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Great info all, thank you.

As a platinum status earned the hard way....segments...I am disappointed to see the only way to earn further RPU's is via EQM's and not segments. Oh well.

ETA I just read that I will get two more deposited after 30 segments but there was some caveat about 1K status. I will make plat again this year but not 1K. Does that matter?
You have earn 1K to be eligible for the extra RPUs.

Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1KŪ status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:27 pm

GPU's for 12.5 hr layover?

Hey everyone

I am flying from LAX-EWR-ZRH and my layover at EWR will be around 12.5hrs. I've been told by CS that I'll need 2 separate RPU's/GPU's to be applied instead of using a single one which is what I was expecting.

Per the GPU rules that I read (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wupgrades.aspx), a stopover for travel to a destination outside of US will require separate GPU if the stopover is more than 24 hrs so wondering where the disconnect is...am I missing something here or did the CS rep miss something?

Stopovers require multiple upgrade products. A stopover for a single, one-way trip within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada is defined as longer than 4 hours in the connecting city. A stopover for a single, one-way trip to or from all other destinations is defined as longer than 24 hours in the connecting city.

Thanks!

Last edited by desimunda420; Jan 8, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.