Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I reference N (as this is my booking class) I surely thought with 30 days or more out and 13 seats available I would have surely cleared with the RPU (I reference N and Platinumn as I assume 1K's with higher Fare Class than N have been getting confirmed with their RPU's)
That's not a good bet at all. Tough upgrade for a 1K on the 752 hub-to-hub. Only 16 F seats and people have learned to book into the lie-flat.

btw, you know that N is the very lowest paid fare class, right? You're behind all GS, all 1K, and probably all Plat.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not a good bet at all. Tough upgrade for a 1K on the 752 hub-to-hub. Only 16 F seats and people have learned to book into the lie-flat.

btw, you know that N is the very lowest paid fare class, right? You're behind all GS, all 1K, and probably all Plat.
Yes, I know that Oh well, I have been know to take the underdogs as well .. Next time, I will be sure to strike when the iron is hot..
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 pm

Anyone have experience applying a GPU to a reservation booked with a group? Group is flying in K, I'm deviating on the return and am in V, 1k line says I need to upgrade to published fare V class first? Anyone?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SiPi
Anyone have experience applying a GPU to a reservation booked with a group? Group is flying in K, I'm deviating on the return and am in V, 1k line says I need to upgrade to published fare V class first? Anyone?
Some group/non-published fares are non-upgradeable regardless of fare class.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As in a bulk fare / group rate? Not sure I'm following here.

If the fare class is V, I wouldn't see an issue, as this is above the minimum fare class of W to apply the GPU. The group reservation may need to be split into separate PNR's in order to accommodate an upgrade to only one person or a couple people in the group..... OP - let us know what happens when you call them back.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
As in a bulk fare / group rate? Not sure I'm following here.

If the fare class is V, I wouldn't see an issue, as this is above the minimum fare class of W to apply the GPU. The group reservation may need to be split into separate PNR's in order to accommodate an upgrade to only one person or a couple people in the group..... OP - let us know what happens when you call them back.
Consolidator tickets / group non-published fares are sometimes sold with an "non-upgradable" clause. There isn't enough info here to understand what kind of V fare was purchased and how sold. Group tickets are an area all to themselves.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Switching from GPU to RPU

I am 1K and, due to the fact that I had no available RPUS, I opted to apply a GPU on a domestic flight. Still has not cleared. I now have available RPUs and am tempted to have the GPU redeposited and apply an RPU for that same flight. Will I lose my "place in the upgrade line" and be placed on the upgrade list as of the date that this "switch" is made? Thanks to all once again.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:23 pm

You will "lose your place" only with respect to other 1Ks trying to use an instrument upgrade. You will stay ahead of lower status instrument upgrades.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by cagcag
I am 1K and, due to the fact that I had no available RPUS, I opted to apply a GPU on a domestic flight. Still has not cleared. I now have available RPUs and am tempted to have the GPU redeposited and apply an RPU for that same flight. Will I lose my "place in the upgrade line" and be placed on the upgrade list as of the date that this "switch" is made? Thanks to all once again.
Yes but time of request is the third sort item. Status and fare are the 1st and 2nd factors. So only if another elite of the same status and same fare class waitlisted after you would it make a difference. And RPU will still be ahead of CPUers (except GS).
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yes but time of request is the third sort item. Status and fare are the 1st and 2nd factors. So only if another elite of the same status and same fare class waitlisted after you would it make a difference. And RPU will still be ahead of CPUers (except GS).
Would GPUs count ahead of RPUs if there are is more than one upgrade request with the same status and fare category on a domestic upgrade?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Would GPUs count ahead of RPUs if there are is more than one upgrade request with the same status and fare category on a domestic upgrade?
No. GPU has the same priority as an RPU. The tiebreaker in your example would be the request time of the upgrade.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by blackllotus
The tiebreaker in your example would be the request time of the upgrade.
I think the big question would be if time of request is reset when changing instruments @:-)
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
What's the latest thinking of combined vs separate PNRs when waitlisting an instrument with the other PAX has no status? I know before it was always book separately when waitlisted so if R is released one at a time, you'll get it.

But now that the status of the PAX traveling, and not the account the instrument came from is what matters, this means that booking on separate PNRs means the other PAX will be very low on the list.

Any help is appreciated. Booking LAX-HNL on a Saturday (before a rather large conference in HNL) and don't want to get passed up because we booked together, but also don't want only myself to clear and have my +1 stuck in economy because she has no status.

Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jmanirish
What's the latest thinking of combined vs separate PNRs when waitlisting an instrument with the other PAX has no status? I know before it was always book separately when waitlisted so if R is released one at a time, you'll get it.

But now that the status of the PAX traveling, and not the account the instrument came from is what matters, this means that booking on separate PNRs means the other PAX will be very low on the list.

Any help is appreciated. Booking LAX-HNL on a Saturday (before a rather large conference in HNL) and don't want to get passed up because we booked together, but also don't want only myself to clear and have my +1 stuck in economy because she has no status.
I don't think there's a one-sized fits all answer.

I personally would keep on same PNR at least until check-in. R on the west coast to HNL routes tends to open in bunches.

Plus it's not the end of the world to be stuck together in Y on that aircraft so long as you get an E+ window/aisle.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think there's a one-sized fits all answer.

I personally would keep on same PNR at least until check-in. R on the west coast to HNL routes tends to open in bunches.

Plus it's not the end of the world to be stuck together in Y on that aircraft so long as you get an E+ window/aisle.
Thanks yet again Kacee. Every time I think I have everything figured out, I realize how much more complicated it is (so that's for dealing with my stream of conscious questions)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.