Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Had a positive experience with same-day GPU usage. EWR-SFO was booked 16/20 in F when I OLCId to #1 on the waitlist, eventually slipping further until I was #3 on the list with 19/20 booked. (I do believe that higher-yield pax are stereotypically busy folks and tend to check in later.)

Went to the UC at roughly T-90 minutes and asked if I'd have a higher position by applying a GPU. Inventory must have been F1R1 (I hadn't checked), but within 30 seconds the agent was able to confirm me into the last F seat. Well worth the GPU given that I have no paid overseas travel this year. ^
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K | Bonvoy Ambassador | WN A-List | Avis First | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Had a positive experience with same-day GPU usage. EWR-SFO was booked 16/20 in F when I OLCId to #1 on the waitlist, eventually slipping further until I was #3 on the list with 19/20 booked. (I do believe that higher-yield pax are stereotypically busy folks and tend to check in later.)

Went to the UC at roughly T-90 minutes and asked if I'd have a higher position by applying a GPU. Inventory must have been F1R1 (I hadn't checked), but within 30 seconds the agent was able to confirm me into the last F seat. Well worth the GPU given that I have no paid overseas travel this year. ^
I'm glad to hear other people are using GPUs on domestic flights. I've been debating recently about using some of my extra GPUs (expire 01/15) vs RPUs (expire 01/16) on PHL-SFO just because I have no intl travel planned before January.

Right now I'm leaning towards burning a GPU. Especially because two of them came back after I didn't clear HKG-SFO.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I used a GPU for a p.s. flight as well because it would expire and all my other INTNL travel the remainder of the year has cleared/booked in J/F.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:46 am

I have a question with using GPUs on Int'l routings with 2 paxs on the PNR that I didn't quite find in this thread or the PNR splitting threads. My companion an I are waitlisted with GPUs on EWR-LHR as well as IAH-PHL (as part of AMS-IAH-PHL).

Is there an issue with having 2 paxs on the PNR where if R goes from R0>1 it will bypass us because we are 2. Is it worth splitting proactively?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nova08
Is there an issue with having 2 paxs on the PNR where if R goes from R0>1 it will bypass us because we are 2. Is it worth splitting proactively?
Yes. If it goes R1 you will be skipped. You should split, and ask to have record notated that you are traveling together (in case of rebooking for IRROPS, schedule change, etc.)
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Confused about GPU waitlist priority

My wife and I booked identical reservations LHR-EWR-BOS // BOS-EWR-LIS. Her reservation was booked and ticketed and a GPU was applied by phone to waitlist an upgrade; then, a few hours later, I booked and ticketed the same trip and applied GPUs online to waitlist an upgrade.

We ended up both waitlisting BOS-EWR-LIS.

Last night at 0454 my wife got an e-mail saying her BOS-EWR waitlist cleared (leaving EWR-LIS waitlisted).

Last night at 0551 I got an e-mail saying my EWR-LIS waitlist cleared (leaving BOS-EWR waitlisted).

How can this happen? Surely one or the other of us would have had higher priority on both waitlisted segments?

Same frequent-flyer status, same fare class, her GPUs on her trip and my GPUs on my trip.

Does the angry red "a modification has been made to your itinerary" that appears after an upgrade clears, requiring an agent to resync the ticket, prevent further waitlisted upgrades from clearing on the same res? If so, maybe we should deliberately not waitlist domestic segments with GPUs…
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, BAEC Silver
GPU Applied after T-24

Hi - quick question - couldn't find anything with the search function.

I have a trip tomorrow to which I applied a GPU. Domestic segment cleared but intl' segment most likely won't.

I have found an alternative routing which has R space showing all the way. If I SDC to that at T-24 can an agent clear the upgrade immediately?

(assuming the R space is still showing)

(appears from trawling through the thread that this was possible for an RPU in '13. Does this applies to GPU's as well?)

Last edited by whatever809; Sep 5, 2014 at 11:49 am Reason: new info
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by whatever809
Hi - quick question - couldn't find anything with the search function.

I have a trip tomorrow to which I applied a GPU. Domestic segment cleared but intl' segment most likely won't.

I have found an alternative routing which has R space showing all the way. If I SDC to that at T-24 can an agent clear the upgrade immediately?

(assuming the R space is still showing)

(appears from trawling through the thread that this was possible for an RPU in '13. Does this applies to GPU's as well?)
Yes, can apply upgrade within 24hr if R is available & it will clear immediately.

May be easiest to do this over the phone — have the agent confirm the same-day confirmed change and immediately apply the GPU. Risk is that if the R inventory goes away, you cannot waitlist an upgrade within 24 hrs of travel so you might not be able to get back on the waitlist. (Risk is lower if the intl segment is after a connection and there's still 24 hrs before that flight.)

It's possible to do this even when there are already people on the upgrade waitlist for the new flight — you can SDC and then queue-jump ahead of them by applying an upgrade.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Single GPU with 23 hr layover in NYC

Is this still possible? Flying Lax-NYC-Europe . I also was considering flying Lax-JFK- EWR-Europe ...does this still apply or will I need to do Lax-EWR?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:51 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
I have a similar question. IAH->EWR and EWR->AUA 15 hours later. I always thought that international layovers had to exceed 24 hours. I wanted to apply 1 RPU but they said it was 12 hours not 24. Can anybody shed some light?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have seen no confirmation since the merger but pmUA allowed
1) up to 12 hours on an international itin for SWUs/GPUs (note mileage upgrades were longer and hold thru a single stopover); and
2) up to 4 hours on a domestic /region 1 only itin.

So if this is still true, a >12 but <24 hours layover will not work.

Some previous threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-needed.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-thread.html
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Had that already in the general question thread with no answer, so I think I will post this here...

I have an international itinerary that has me fly Europe-US1-South America-US2 with no stop exceeding three hours before reaching US2. When looking up my itinerary online I currently see this part of the ticket listed as "Europe to US2", and I am currently offered to upgrade this with Miles&copay at the normal Europe to US rate. However strictly looking at the fare, it is actually a ticket Europe to South America with a stopover (permitted by the underlying fare) in US2.

I will make 1K well before this flight, so I probably want to use one of my GPUs on this itinerary (booked in V) - I assume that when they become available in my account I will be able to add just one GPU to that itinerary as the system sees US2 as my destination and everything in between as connections on the way there (ignoring the fare).

But what will happen if I want to gift a GPU to my traveling-companion who is on a separate reservation - I think I will need to call for this and speak to an agent to get this accomplished. So what is your estimate: Will that agent then require one GPU for the whole itinerary or will they want to pull two? And what would be the actual rules in this case?

Thanks for your input!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by djohannw
But what will happen if I want to gift a GPU to my traveling-companion who is on a separate reservation - I think I will need to call for this and speak to an agent to get this accomplished. So what is your estimate: Will that agent then require one GPU for the whole itinerary or will they want to pull two? And what would be the actual rules in this case?
You can apply your GPU to a different passenger's itinerary online by logging into your account, then searching for the reservation using the PNR and passenger last name. Once you've pulled up the itinerary, click on the "Upgrade Flight" tab to apply the GPU.

In any event, many reports of phone agents applying GPUs successfully to multi-segment reservations so long as within the rules (see WineCountryUA's post, above), so even if you can't do it online you should be able to do it by phone (again, so long as it is within rules).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Looking at multi-city (doesn't route that way putting in NYC-SIN) the schedule works to go JFK-SFO & SFO-NRT-SIN that have R space...would that just take 1 GPU?

Edit: booked and it all worked with 1 GPU

Last edited by JVPhoto; Oct 26, 2014 at 10:01 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can apply your GPU to a different passenger's itinerary online by logging into your account, then searching for the reservation using the PNR and passenger last name.
Easiest way is to look at ALL RESERVATIONS, scroll to the bottom, and that's where you can put it PNR and name @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.