Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:17 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Chances of a GPU clearing on a K fare?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Europe later this year in the Nov/Dec timeframe for the wife and I. Was planning on buying United economy "K" fare tickets for the trip to apply GPUs on to get to J class but then I noted on the United website that:

For regions with a * (for which Europe is one), Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N.

(Source: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t.aspx#regions)

I have not used my GPUs to date and was curious if anyone knows if I will be able to use the GPU on the "K" fare or if the excerpt above is correct? (I know there is a thread already discussing GPUs but from my search of it did not see a question like this one - please direct me if I missed it)

Flight would be ORD - CDG then back via AMS - ORD

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Stephenk19
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Europe later this year in the Nov/Dec timeframe for the wife and I. Was planning on buying United economy "K" fare tickets for the trip to apply GPUs on to get to J class but then I noted on the United website that:

For regions with a * (for which Europe is one), Global Premier Upgrades are not available on flights booked in fare classes Z, P, S, T, K, L, G or N.

(Source: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t.aspx#regions)

I have not used my GPUs to date and was curious if anyone knows if I will be able to use the GPU on the "K" fare or if the excerpt above is correct? (I know there is a thread already discussing GPUs but from my search of it did not see a question like this one - please direct me if I missed it)

Flight would be ORD - CDG then back via AMS - ORD

Thanks!
k is not upgradeable
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
0%
Originally Posted by Stephenk19
I have not used my GPUs to date and was curious if anyone knows if I will be able to use the GPU on the "K" fare or if the excerpt above is correct? ...
the excerpt is correct, K is not eligible
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
The lowest GPU-upgradable fare class is W. However, you can upgrade the K fare but only with miles and a hefty co-pay ($600 I believe).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Almost zero chance. V fares which are sometimes sold through consolidators are your best chance of a cheap fare which is upgradable. Otherwise just bite the bullet and buy through United.com, the difference should only be about $250 to $300 at that time of year. If there is upgrade space available at booking its usually worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:28 pm

Only "W" and up can be upgraded with a GPU. There is quite a significant cost difference between a "K" and a "W" fare. You also should see if "R" class is available since the upgrade falls into this bucket. CDG might be doable, I have never had luck with AMS. Good thing that flight is on a 767 and there are plenty of E+ seats for couples, since the config is 2-3-2. Definitely a plus if you have to fly in the back. Good luck.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
and "W and up" doesnt mean alphabetical order. This is what the order looks like:
F6, JN6, A6, Z5, ZN5, P5, PN6, R1, RN1, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G9, N9

R is upgrade space, I and X - award.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:46 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Thank you for the replies and information! I will try buying the lowest upgrade eligible class and keep my fingers crossed that there will be availability.

Steve
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
As I understand a RPU can be used to upgrade a one way flight.

I will fly GDL SFO LAX HNL. Do I get upgraded all the way with just one RPU?
I checked the R availability and there is at moment R availability for all segments.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by flymexico2010

I will fly GDL SFO LAX HNL. Do I get upgraded all the way with just one RPU?
Yes.
Dave
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
RPU Upgrade Confusion

OK I admit the confusion is mine. I have spent time looking at the website and honestly cannot find an answer to my question. FWIW, the explanation the United site give on how to use RPU's does not seem very complete. For instance is it one RPU per segment if a connecting flight is involved or does that require two RPU?

In my specific case, I am doing a YUL-ORD-IAH trip in about a week. Upgrade inventory is available for both flights. Does this require one or two RPU? If I use a GPU, is only one needed?

Simple question I know.....but I could not find the ansers on United's website nor in the various FT threads I looked at.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Seat 1F; Sep 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:44 pm

One RPU or GPU is needed for when you are flying YUL to IAH. Another RPU or GPU is needed when you are flying from IAH to YUL.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just one. The RPU applies "per direction of travel" so all the connecting segments en route are covered by one.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:05 pm

RPU Upgrade Confusion

If it is a legal connection, 1 RPU will upgrade the entire one-way trip, if available.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Thanks for the quick responses. I just upgraded on-line and it deducted 2 x RPU for the YUL-ORD-IAH trip. I guess I need to call MP now to see what is going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.