Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I chose RPU for upgrade, United debited miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum

Has anyone else had this happened? Yesterday I booked a trip and chose RPU for upgrades both ways, but United debited my mileage account 40,000 miles. When I called Global Services to report this, the agent said I must have clicked on miles by mistake, but I'm sure I didn't. I just let the matter drop because I have plenty of miles, but still this was odd.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I've had agents take GPUs when I requested RPUs (tried to do online, doesn't always work), and then it's a bit of a song and dance to get it fixed

Make them switch it!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I should add one thing. After requesting RPU instead of 20,000 miles each way, I also clicked the little circle that says "upgrade all flights." I wonder if doing so over-rode the RPU request, and that's why the debit defaulted to miles.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Chevelter
I should add one thing. After requesting RPU instead of 20,000 miles each way, I also clicked the little circle that says "upgrade all flights." I wonder if doing so over-rode the RPU request, and that's why the debit defaulted to miles.
Could be. I find the verbiage used in the current website to be confusing in that the language refers to mileage upgrades at most steps, and for reason, i have stayed away from the upgrade all flights option and instead upgrade each direction separately.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
I have never been able to use a RPU online for the same reason as the OP. I clearly select the RPU and it says ”mileage balance not sufficient” or some such thing. Always had to call. Wonder if it is the browser I use, which is Safari.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.