Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Do you honestly believe that's how government works? Do the words "case law" mean anything to you?

A simple internet search brings up a good definition of "precedent" in a legal sense: Black's Law Dictionary defines "precedent" as a "rule of law established for the first time by a court for a particular type of case and thereafter referred to in deciding similar cases."

It works the same way within government agencies so that parties on all sides of a situation know what to expect from their actions, then be able to plan accordingly. Decisions by government agencies aren't made on the basis of "do we let X-number of people get away with this?" in one example, then rule differently in another based upon their whims. That would be preposterous.
I used the term "common sense" sarcasticly but Thanks for the law lesson. Your quite right anyway except there is a very big difference between a written law or statute (which by the way can be interpreted differently by different courts or judges) & and an ambiguous regulation that was only intended to protect the public from airlines using unfair or deceptive practices. (it was never untended to let people get away with simething for nothing). As i said, I didn't say "common sense" meaning seriously that they could use those words. I said "common sense" because that's exactly what the DOT used in looking for a loophole to the wording of this "regulation". Even courts are using common sense more & more these days to stop laws from being applied differently then they were intended.

Precedents are used all the time in courts to get one thing or the other admitted or argued. Precedents are also thrown out of court every day by different judges who don't believe they apply. Different judges look at precedents differently all the time. Nothing, including the law is black or white. A different DOT inspector could just have easily ruled against UA w this. That's how it goes.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
A myopic viewpoint at best. What the DOT established in its ruling is that 1) it doesn't look at award charts when determining the validity of the "fare" involved in an award booking, 2) it only looks at what was displayed during the "booking process", and 3) the DOT will consider tickets purchased with miles the same as regular revenue fares when it comes to their jurisdiction over pricing issues. There's now no ambiguity where there was before.

Even though it's obviously easier for some bystanders to sit and point like they were on a school playground, a few important precedents were set in the DOT's answer to the complaints filed in this matter which shouldn't be overlooked.
Oh, yes.

I suggested before that United wanted this reviewed, and a ruling. There were other measures they could have taken, short of forcing the issue. This fairly new law has very little application, so far. For United, at worst, clarification. At best, any rollback. They got clarification, but not rollback. Quite the opposite.

Now that the ruling is in, it seems to me that the discussion here has narrowed again to two potential results: Fly us or deny us. Reminder: The DOT's authority was actually only to fine United or not. A fine, however token, would have been a result that the vast majority here would have thought acceptable, I think. OK, didn't happen. But the DOT did take a very conservative - limited - but substantive decision as described by AeroWesty @3992 above. His point #3 is actually substantial, IMO.

And those with sympathy for the devil who are now smug might think again. No? I suggest that the decision has reverberated through the legal and loyalty program halls of all airlines doing business in the US, especially AeroWesty's third point.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Any updates from people who filed suit? Or did people from the private Google forum get results and travel beyond the terms previously announced?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by sbrower
Any updates from people who filed suit? Or did people from the private Google forum get results and travel beyond the terms previously announced?
FWIW I have an inside statement that noone has filed a lawsuit in the US.
Not sure if they consider SCC as lawsuit.

Anyone succesful of settling is likely bound by NDA. Any lawsuit will likely still be going as its been a few months only. Most cases are eventually settled. Most people involved in a lawsuit are smart not to post updates on a public forum.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
If anyone's wondering, I filed a FOIA request with the DoT for documents regarding this issue. I just got them today and am happy to scan them if anyone's curious. There isn't very much that's terribly interesting, though there are about 15 pages of printouts from various blogs :-)
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amejr999
If anyone's wondering, I filed a FOIA request with the DoT for documents regarding this issue. I just got them today and am happy to scan them if anyone's curious. There isn't very much that's terribly interesting, though there are about 15 pages of printouts from various blogs :-)
I suppose I'd be interested in glancing at them-- what is the gist of the documents?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Any internal DOT communication or communication between the DOT and United?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
I guess some bloggers may be interested in uploading them making a comment.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck
Any internal DOT communication or communication between the DOT and United?
Mostly the latter. If I'm feeling feisty I might appeal since I specifically requested copies of both, and not much of the internal DOT stuff came through.

I've gotten a few PM requests so I will scan them-- won't be until Monday or so though. Any suggestions on a good site to upload it to?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Please post.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
I wouldn’t expect much substance. From what I’ve been told, there were a couple phone conferences between UA and DOT and that was that. No written response from UA. Investigation over. Case closed. Assuming that’s all true, I’m kinda surprised that DOT didn’t require a written explanation of what happened. The investigatory process must be pretty informal…at least for this type of complaint.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Mostly the latter. If I'm feeling feisty I might appeal since I specifically requested copies of both, and not much of the internal DOT stuff came through.

I've gotten a few PM requests so I will scan them-- won't be until Monday or so though. Any suggestions on a good site to upload it to?
Google doc will host and you can send out the link.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by XLR26
I wouldn’t expect much substance. From what I’ve been told, there were a couple phone conferences between UA and DOT and that was that. No written response from UA. Investigation over. Case closed. Assuming that’s all true, I’m kinda surprised that DOT didn’t require a written explanation of what happened. The investigatory process must be pretty informal…at least for this type of complaint.
A lot of this is emails about scheduling conference calls.

Originally Posted by colpuck
Google doc will host and you can send out the link.
Thanks-- I will try to scan when I am in the office on Monday.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by XLR26
...The investigatory process must be pretty informal…at least for this type of complaint.
As was fitting, given the silliness of it all.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:22 am

Posted the documents here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1c...lJkWG9ZQ2dDUDQ

Last edited by amejr999; Jan 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm Reason: New link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.