Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:08 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Information regarding award pricing error

Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:29 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Folks, We're just in the process of splitting the thread into two. There will be this thread and a second thread with the UA announcement and the related comments to that. It will be back and this will be reopened. Soon. - l'etoile

...and here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...redeposit.html

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
And the Survey Says....

120 responses so far... I deleted the surveys reporting 800 and 1000 tickets issued; you guys are just too awesome.

Number of Tickets

It looks like somewhere between 512 (using lowest figures and excluding suspicious outliers) and 748 (using highest figures and including outliers) tickets were issued to the respondents. The highest category included responses of 18, 18, 18, 20, 22, 26, 26, 44, 45, and 75 tickets issued.

UA Metal versus Partner Metal

Where did you learn about the deal?

Other Questions
*Approximately 2/3 of the flights were booked in F, 1/3 in J, and a few in Economy.
*83% of you have had no miles deducted, 7.5% claim a small number of miles (e.g. 4 per ticket) have been deducted and 10% had large amounts of miles deducted.
*The vast majority of you (80%) declined to provide an e-mail contact.

The part that really surprises me is in bold above. We haven't had any reports that someone has had the correct number of miles deducted from their accounts, yet several aurvey respondents (9 total) report such deductions. Unless some people chime in to the contrary, I'm going to assume that my survey question was unclear.

I will keep the survey open and update you if there are significant numbers of new responses.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
No Surprise Here.

Hate to say I was right, but there were very unreasonable expectations here of getting something for nothing. Hope springs eternal it seems.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:16 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note.

We encourage the discussion of United's response to the 4/8 RDM award tickets to take place in the dedicated thread we've set up for this phase of the matter:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eposit-21.html

We've moved the recent, relevant threads from this thread to the above-linked one.
Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Disappointing news.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
This story made a segment on the BBC Radio 4 news (that's our J class news programme ) in the UK this evening, which is unusual for a consumer story. Maybe they were stringing from bigger attention in the US?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
This story made a segment on the BBC Radio 4 news (that's our J class news programme ) in the UK this evening, which is unusual for a consumer story. Maybe they were stringing from bigger attention in the US?
Was it on PM or the 6 O'Clock news? Also do you remember how far in? I'll iPlayer it tonight.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by alex_b
Was it on PM or the 6 O'Clock news? Also do you remember how far in? I'll iPlayer it tonight.
Thinking where I was on the road I reckon it would have been sometime between 18.20 and 18.40. Probably closer to 18.20.

Quite light hearted in an 'and finally' style, and taking the UA side more than the flyer one.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
On the BBC main news program(27:54 in), quite nicely done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.