Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by newballs
Just don't release anything before UA makes a decision, or you are helping them doing sampling and analysis.
Seriously? I'm fairly sure UA has all the data with respect to how many tickets were booked and the overall composition of the flights. There is zero data in that survey that would be of even remote value to UA.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Just don't release anything before UA makes a decision, or you are helping them doing sampling and analysis.
They can get actual numbers from their own system instead of relying on a survey in which probably only a very small fraction will respond. They aren't going to use this at all.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:29 pm

survey

Survey done.

Some clarification though: tickets vs flights? I responded by segments, some are mixed though ...

Also, I booked several segments to get to / from HKG, most likely won't ever use them, as I want to get from A to B, but had to add a segment from B to HKG to get the 'premium discount fare'.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by MSYnola
done. great idea. not sure about providing my email, though
Agreed. That's why it was optional with a huge warning statement.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck
Better question can the DOT go after a US airline selling tickets that don't touch the US. (I want to say yes, but I honestly don't know)
That was what I asked.

I'm thinking the DoT wouldn't have authority over it, as their mandate is solely to regulate 'Transportation', however on US soil the only activity is retail of transportation in a foreign country
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HCSmooth66
This is how I'd calculate the cost to United:

Average Revenue Tickets x Full Revenue Price. The real $$ loss would be the number of revenue seats that would have been filled that now have us free loaders in them. Then add whatever cost there would be to pay partner airlines for their seats.

Beyond that, you could argue that a small percentage of people getting these 4 mile flights would have paid full price in miles to fly the same itinerary as they'd already been planning it. These people would not only get their virtually free 1st class flight, or whatever class was booked, but would still have 150,000 miles more in their accounts to pay for other award tickets. This category would seem to have a negligible real cost, I would think, relative to the first category.
I dunno, you could speculate any way your want, but I still think $5000 x 2000 tickets ($10 million) is probably a good ballpark "real" cost. And that was a lost revenue assumption.

Which, of course, is the problem here. I suspect UA would PREFER to honor these reservations instead of endure another episode of bad publicity. But $10 million is a lot of moola, even for the world's largest airline.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:34 pm

If they want they could even implement a demographic analysis to allocate tailored countermeasures.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Thanks

Last edited by thyeri; Jul 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Originally Posted by iahphx
I dunno, you could speculate any way your want, but I still think $5000 x 2000 tickets ($10 million) is probably a good ballpark "real" cost. And that was a lost revenue assumption.

Which, of course, is the problem here. I suspect UA would PREFER to honor these reservations instead of endure another episode of bad publicity. But $10 million is a lot of moola, even for the world's largest airline.
I would assume the UA SFO-SYD jumbo C mistake would have cost many multiples of this amount, back when DOT did not regulate and UA could have cancelled. Different management though.

14,400 C tickets selling for 1,440. You could claim a loss there as well and that deal was alive for 50x longer...3 days? I forget.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Done.

Did the survey. I know three 3 I boked were in F for a total of about $38,000. While I may be way off I'd guess about several hundred people got in for about the same. Some got 5 so math points to this being a million dollar deal.
MY HNK are
This reservation was ticketed and confirmed on Sun., Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:47p.m. Central Time.

Think I got in towards the very end. No miles deducted yet. Have hotel booked and ready togo, fingers crossed.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Antipode
They can get actual numbers from their own system instead of relying on a survey in which probably only a very small fraction will respond. They aren't going to use this at all.
Or maybe they don't, given their rather sloppy IT performance. Who knows?

It's a mess. At least, it takes some time for UA to sort this all out.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by JC1120
A contract of carriage provision that reserves the right to cancel such ticketed purchases or reserves the right to raise the fare cannot legalize the practice described above. The Enforcement Office would consider any contract of carriage provision that attempts to relieve a carrier of the prohibition against post-purchase price increase to be an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712.

Any lawyers here (not looking for idle speculation) know what fine UA might have to pay if the DOT rules that these bookings fall under their purview and UA still chooses not to honor them?

The stated maximum is $25K per violation or 3X revenue involved, whichever is higher, but obviously they can settle for less. I really have no idea what a standard compromise would be here. There are consent orders for violations floating around but I haven't taken the time to read all of them. Of the few I skimmed, the DOT was not buying any "we didn't mean to" or "it was an honest mistake" type defenses, although they were all compromises so mercy may have been reflected in the penalty.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by angelicboris
I filled out the survey but did not provide my email.
+1
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
I find question 2 of the survey confusing so haven't completed it yet.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
2000 even 10000 is a too conservative estimation because this was just a rough number you can get in English world(Say,like FT). Other non-english speakers could hardly see and do your survey. This loophole was discovered and posted on a non-english forum at least 4 hours before first posted in FT. Use your imagimation...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.