Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For complimentary premier upgrades, United explains how they are handled for itineraries with more than one passenger:

Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html

For elites, an itinerary for multiple passengers will remain together until ~T-24. If the upgrades clear before then, the PNR remains together. If they have not cleared by then, the PNR will be "split" when you check in for purposes of upgrades, with waitlist priority in accordance with above. The splitting has consequences regarding eligibility for "inherited status" - i.e., baggage allowances, upgrade priority, boarding priority for passengers with lower status than the highest status passenger. I.e., as a formal matter the benefits of inherited status are lost (although E+ seats are usually retained or can be gotten back, baggage is usually granted, one can board with highest priority passenger). This also matters for the return.

This thread explains various scenarios and considerations as to whether it is desirable to split the PNR before T-24 and the consequences of having it happen.

Questions to consider:
1) Do you mind if not all passengers are upgraded? If you are willing to have some people remain in coach, then splitting increases your chances of an upgrade before T-24 because sometimes only one upgrade seat becomes available at a time. In such scenarios a group of 2+ will be skipped. If you can't be separated, don't split until forced to do so. If you really can't be separated, consider a call to UA to ask to be marked not for upgrades.
2) Once you get inside T-24 your PNR will be split, unless you make a special request that it not be. Each passenger will be placed on the upgrade list in accordance with the above. This doesn't matter much on the outbound flight unless there are IRROPS, in which case it may be tougher to get accommodation for all passengers.
3) On the return flight(s) the companions may no longer have the highest level of status of all passengers, including baggage allowances (E+ seats are usually retained). However, some recent reports are that companions retain the status of the highest passenger on the original PNR, even after it is split.

related threads
The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Splitting up partner airline award reservation

Archive thread : To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR

Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
How does upgrade splitting work?

We have a four pax pnr -- two pax are Plats and the other two are our minor children - for a trip tomorrow.

We're not checked in yet but appear as #1 thru #4 on the upgrade list (flight booked 11/16).

At OLCI united asks me to select which passengers I would like to list for an upgrade, and lists 2 pax total:

Any guesses what happens to the PNR if I accept? Are we gonna get 2 records with 2 people each and 4 upgrade list spots? Or something more exciting?

Last edited by mherdeg; Dec 28, 2022 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Right now the system is buggy (or was of recent check) and you're likely to end up with two pax in the Plat slot and 2 in a no-status slot.

What should happen is that you would pair each child with a Plat parent and end up 1-4 on the list still.

I would wait to check in at airport so that you maximize your chances of making sure you stay in the right place.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by drewguy
I would wait to check in at airport so that you maximize your chances of making sure you stay in the right place.
Or decline the upgrade entirely and save the headache. I don't know what route this is but if a short flight then may not be worth the hassle. If not a short flight then unlikely that will remain 11/16 and your party #1-4 up to time of departure.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ani90
Or decline the upgrade entirely and save the headache. I don't know what route this is but if a short flight then may not be worth the hassle. If not a short flight then unlikely that will remain 11/16 and your party #1-4 up to time of departure.
Yeah I mean this is a 400 mile mainline sector (EWR-RDU) and I'm practically indifferent to Y vs F. It's just fun to put the toddler in a comically large F seat and she hasn't gotten to do very much of that due to our 2020-2021 travel cutbacks, so wouldn't want to miss the chance .
Old Dec 28, 2022, 3:29 pm

As an update, instead of using OLCI, we checked in at a kiosk. There's a special kiosk checkin flow that allowed each of the two Plats to designate one companion to go on the upgrade standby list, and we ended up as #1-#4 on the upgrade list, checked in, all still on a single PNR. The flight is now booked 17/16 in First (?) so I guess it's academic.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by TelemachusSneezy
As an update, instead of using OLCI, we checked in at a kiosk. There's a special kiosk checkin flow that allowed each of the two Plats to designate one companion to go on the upgrade standby list, and we ended up as #1-#4 on the upgrade list, checked in, all still on a single PNR. The flight is now booked 17/16 in First (?) so I guess it's academic.
Was likely always going to be academic for the situation you describe. Even as a 1K I don't recall a companion upgrade in several years. Personally in such situations I decline the upgrade unless a one way or last segment of itinerary as not worth it splitting the PNR, as may create unnecessary hassle downstream.
2ptraveler likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have a four pax pnr -- two pax are Plats and the other two are our minor children - for a trip tomorrow.

We're not checked in yet but appear as #1 thru #4 on the upgrade list (flight booked 11/16).

At OLCI united asks me to select which passengers I would like to list for an upgrade, and lists 2 pax total:

img

Any guesses what happens to the PNR if I accept? Are we gonna get 2 records with 2 people each and 4 upgrade list spots? Or something more exciting?

In the app, the next screen should give you the same flow as the kiosk (select companion for each traveler with a tick box in the screenshot).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Was likely always going to be academic for the situation you describe. Even as a 1K I don't recall a companion upgrade in several years. Personally in such situations I decline the upgrade unless a one way or last segment of itinerary as not worth it splitting the PNR, as may create unnecessary hassle downstream.
My 3 year-old daughter got CPU'ed on LAX-HNL last week (as did my wife and I, both 1Ks), so it can happen. Too bad we were flying on a 753 and not a widebody! That said, it did split the PNR at check-in, and my wife got upgraded before my daughter did. Not sure why UA's IT decided it would be great to leave a (what it looks like in the system) an unaccompanied minor alone on the UL.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My 3 year-old daughter got CPU'ed on LAX-HNL last week (as did my wife and I, both 1Ks), so it can happen. Too bad we were flying on a 753 and not a widebody!
That's probably related to getting the CPU!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: UA MM
Was likely always going to be academic for the situation you describe. Even as a 1K I don't recall a companion upgrade in several years.
Actually, as Gold I had one companion upgrade just miss (TUS - ORD) and the second clear (ORD - BOS) on the 24th. I'd attribute this to the lack of business / status travel, as the boarding group 1 lines were pretty short as well.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post # 8)
Not sure why UA's IT decided it would be great to leave a (what it looks like in the system) an unaccompanied minor alone on the UL.
UL = Upgrade Lottery

Cf. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glos...tterSelected=U
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
#3 on my (delayed) and re-boarded flight 12-22 DEN-SAT hit the UL when I declined a single seat so as no to leave my wife in the back and she's pretty indifferent to F if she's going to be alone. 2 hour flight so no biggie and I got my snackle box and Buffalo Trace anyway. Of course, I shared (the box).
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:32 am

Ha ha ha.

(1) Booked a 4-passenger ticket for me (Plat), my wife (Plat), and my two kids (no status), CLE-IAD-BOS.
(2) Checked in online via the web app. This allows us to put all 4 pax on the upgrade waitlist! We say that all pax want to be upgraded and that my companion is my kid, my wife's companion is the other kid.
(3) Now we show up online as #1 (me), #2 (first kid), #3 (wife), #4 (second kid) on the upgrade waitlist.

Overnight:

(4) I clear into PZ on CLE-IAD. The PNR splits -- now the original PNR has my wife and two kids, and the new PNR has me.
(5) The upgrade list for CLE-IAD now has
#1 first kid
#2 second kid
(6) The upgrade list for IAD-BOS now has
#1 second kid
#2 me
#3 first kid

My wife has vanished from the upgrade list altogether. ?!.

So I think the lesson here is that with a complicated CPU-eligible multi-pax PNR you should not check in in advance, because the auto-splitting for advance clearance will randomly throw people off the waitlist.

Last edited by mherdeg; Jan 21, 2023 at 5:51 am
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
As usual, I should know this, but it has been a while. I am trying UA again after a bit of a hiatus for domestic flights.

Booked LAX-BWI-LAX
  • Two pax, both Gold (I'm MM, spouse is my designated gold)
  • Outbound Q fare, return S
  • Both flights showed us on the CPU list
  • Figured WTH, just added us to the outbound miles upgrade waitlist (worth 15k miles each pax for a sucky redeye)

Questions:
  1. Confirming the miles + $0 charge should put us above regular CPUs?
  2. Either way, for two golds, should I request a split to increase the odds of one of us clearing on the outbound? Wait and split for return only?
  3. As a rule, if we were just CPU and no miles pay, is the best strategy to split?
  4. If we do split, we are both Gold, I'm MM, will I be above my spouse on the list or is it random? (The reservation is me as pax 1 and her as pax 2 if that matters, but now after submitting the miles pay upgrade request she is listed first, weird.

Thanks.

Last edited by abaheti; Mar 11, 2023 at 3:49 pm
Old Mar 11, 2023, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abaheti
As usual, I should know this, but it has been a while. I am trying UA again after a bit of a hiatus for domestic flights.

Booked LAX-BWI-LAX
  • Two pax, both Gold (I'm MM, spouse is my designated gold)
  • Outbound Q fare, return S
  • Both flights showed us on the CPU list
  • Figured WTH, just added us to the outbound miles upgrade waitlist (worth 15k miles each pax for a sucky redeye)

Questions:
  1. Confirming the miles + $0 charge should put us above regular CPUs?
  2. Either way, for two golds, should I request a split to increase the odds of one of us clearing on the outbound? Wait and split for return only?
  3. As a rule, if we were just CPU and no miles pay, is the best strategy to split?
  4. If we do split, we are both Gold, I'm MM, will I be above my spouse on the list or is it random? (The reservation is me as pax 1 and her as pax 2 if that matters, but now after submitting the miles pay upgrade request she is listed first, weird.

Thanks.
1. Yes
2. In theory, your odds are better if you split. In practice, I suspect your odds are nearly zero.
3. It matters less for CPU, but, I suppose. But your chances of CPU are even closer to zero.
4. No way to tell.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.