Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For complimentary premier upgrades, United explains how they are handled for itineraries with more than one passenger:

Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html

For elites, an itinerary for multiple passengers will remain together until ~T-24. If the upgrades clear before then, the PNR remains together. If they have not cleared by then, the PNR will be "split" when you check in for purposes of upgrades, with waitlist priority in accordance with above. The splitting has consequences regarding eligibility for "inherited status" - i.e., baggage allowances, upgrade priority, boarding priority for passengers with lower status than the highest status passenger. I.e., as a formal matter the benefits of inherited status are lost (although E+ seats are usually retained or can be gotten back, baggage is usually granted, one can board with highest priority passenger). This also matters for the return.

This thread explains various scenarios and considerations as to whether it is desirable to split the PNR before T-24 and the consequences of having it happen.

Questions to consider:
1) Do you mind if not all passengers are upgraded? If you are willing to have some people remain in coach, then splitting increases your chances of an upgrade before T-24 because sometimes only one upgrade seat becomes available at a time. In such scenarios a group of 2+ will be skipped. If you can't be separated, don't split until forced to do so. If you really can't be separated, consider a call to UA to ask to be marked not for upgrades.
2) Once you get inside T-24 your PNR will be split, unless you make a special request that it not be. Each passenger will be placed on the upgrade list in accordance with the above. This doesn't matter much on the outbound flight unless there are IRROPS, in which case it may be tougher to get accommodation for all passengers.
3) On the return flight(s) the companions may no longer have the highest level of status of all passengers, including baggage allowances (E+ seats are usually retained). However, some recent reports are that companions retain the status of the highest passenger on the original PNR, even after it is split.

related threads
The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Splitting up partner airline award reservation

Archive thread : To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 10:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
I just seem to remember one time in the past, doing this and it actually splitting, causing issues with the other pax trying to check a bag. I distinctly remember that no one got upgraded though. This was a while ago though, perhaps back in the auto-checkin era.
As others have mentioned,sometime back (over a year ago), UA changed the process and the splitting will occur on if needed to actually partially upgrade some.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
Any recent reports on this?
I had read in another thread that if a 1K purchases tickets for himself and a companion with no status, and applies PlusPoints to both persons, that if the ticket is ultimately split even before check in, that the companion without status keeps the 1k status with plus points applied. I am guessing this is beneficial for International flights where if PZ1 keeps opening up months in advance one at a time it doesn't skip two people together at the top of the list.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I had read in another thread that if a 1K purchases tickets for himself and a companion with no status, and applies PlusPoints to both persons, that if the ticket is ultimately split even before check in, that the companion without status keeps the 1k status with plus points applied. I am guessing this is beneficial for International flights where if PZ1 keeps opening up months in advance one at a time it doesn't skip two people together at the top of the list.
Yup, this seems to be true. I had applied PPs to two no-status companions, origininally on the same PNR, and after we split they were still at the top of the waitlist.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I had a reservation with me (1K), Mrs. IMissthe747 (Platinum), my mother (general member) and my daughter (lap infant). I used the app to check in, since I needed to scan my daughter's passport for the first time. Check in was successful, and we were all on one reservation. I was not asked if I wanted to split.

Later in the day I was upgraded, and the system split me onto a separate reservation. A few hours later my wife was upgraded, and she was split onto a third reservation.

My mother never showed on the upgrade lists once the reservations were split. We had a leg departing out of EWR that went out with two open seats up front, and the agent would not upgrade my mother, despite her eligibility as my traveling companion originally on the same reservation.

Not sure if the lap infant screwed things up in the system, or if it was just another "lucky" day in EWR.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I had a reservation with me (1K), Mrs. IMissthe747 (Platinum), my mother (general member) and my daughter (lap infant). I used the app to check in, since I needed to scan my daughter's passport for the first time. Check in was successful, and we were all on one reservation. I was not asked if I wanted to split.

Later in the day I was upgraded, and the system split me onto a separate reservation. A few hours later my wife was upgraded, and she was split onto a third reservation.

My mother never showed on the upgrade lists once the reservations were split. We had a leg departing out of EWR that went out with two open seats up front, and the agent would not upgrade my mother, despite her eligibility as my traveling companion originally on the same reservation.

Not sure if the lap infant screwed things up in the system, or if it was just another "lucky" day in EWR.
This is eerily similar to what happened to me out of EWR today as well. I got upgraded and split off from my girlfriend. Gate agent wouldn't add her to as my companion. Our flight took off with multiple open seats in F.

Sorry the bad luck bug got a hold of you too. Not sure what's going on at EWR.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IMissThe747

Not sure if the lap infant screwed things up in the system....
There use to be a warning the three person PNRs even with two elites needed manually process to be handled correctly
Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Additionally there have been on/off issues with a lapchild getting cpu.
IMissThe747 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2022 at 11:03 pm Reason: lapchild issues
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:50 pm

Beware Upgrading Non-Premier Family/ Friends

Long time lurker, first time poster. Maybe the following issue is my fault and I should have looked into the process better. Nonetheless wanted to share in case it helps someone else out.

I’m PP. Wife is PS. As we always do, we booked a trip with our 3 kids on a single itinerary meaning because I’m PP we all get E+, free checked bags, and because wife and I have TSA Precheck kids always get it too. We always decline the CPU list to stay together. But on a recent short flight, all CPU’s had cleared and there were 4 available F seats still. I thought hey, would be fun to put wife and kids in F, what a treat. Talked to the gate agent, got it done no problem. Family had a great flight in F and all was well for me in E+.

No good deed goes unpunished. Getting the CPU’s meant we were all split into separate itineraries. So now for our remaining travel on this trip, all of our kids: 1) Can’t check in until we are at the airport (minors on individual tickets). 2) Don’t get free E+ 3) Don’t get free checked bags 4) Don’t get TSA pre-check. 5) Get boarding group 4. Absolutely was not worth the upgrades. And honesty kind of mind-blowing to me there’s this glaring problem in the process.

Nonetheless, is what it is. But figured worth posting so maybe it doesn’t happen to someone else.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KabAir
So now for our remaining travel on this trip, all of our kids: 1) Can’t check in until we are at the airport (minors on individual tickets). 2) Don’t get free E+ 3) Don’t get free checked bags 4) Don’t get TSA pre-check. 5) Get boarding group 4. Absolutely was not worth the upgrades. And honesty kind of mind-blowing to me there’s this glaring problem in the process.
1) Probably true, although it's possible that an agent might be able to clear that flag
2) Definitely not true; call and they should be able to be seated in E+ as your companions
3) This isn't supposed to happen anymore, but I suppose might. You might be able to get reimbursed after the fact if you ask UA, but no promises.
4) No info
5) They can board with you anyway.

This is the relevant thread: To split or not to split PNR
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Call in to get E+ ... you don't have to pay for it in this circumstance.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Sometime during COVID, I think TSA stopped giving all passengers on the same PNR PreCheck if at least one passenger had it.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Sometime during COVID, I think TSA stopped giving all passengers on the same PNR PreCheck if at least one passenger had it.
Yes, not sure when exactly but some time in 2020 this went away.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:33 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You can always bring kids 12 or under through PreCheck lane if the adult has PreCheck.
onthesam and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
1) Probably true, although it's possible that an agent might be able to clear that flag
2) Definitely not true; call and they should be able to be seated in E+ as your companions
3) This isn't supposed to happen anymore, but I suppose might. You might be able to get reimbursed after the fact if you ask UA, but no promises.
4) No info
5) They can board with you anyway.

This is the relevant thread:
Thanks, this is helpful, looks like they could push through the E+ seating. Talked to an agent, they did tell me specifically the checked bags would not be free for the non-Premier passengers but we could request reimbursement (whether it will go through or not is another question). Also nothing they could do about not being able to check in until the airport so we’re stuck there.

As far as the TSA stuff (reply to other posters), our kids always end up with Pre-check when they’re on an itinerary with us, I think just because they are minors. Definitely true another adult on the itinerary wouldn’t get it post-2020, but seems not to apply to minors unless we’re always lucky. At any rate they’re not all under 12, so we won’t all be able to go through pre-check this time.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:29 am

Thanks, this is helpful, looks like they could push through the E+ seating. Talked to an agent, they did tell me specifically the checked bags would not be free for the non-Premier passengers but we could request reimbursement (whether it will go through or not is another question). Also nothing they could do about not being able to check in until the airport so we’re stuck there. ...
This wiki may help in handle maintain benefits when the PNR is split at the gate for upgrades. It is from Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]
The bag benefit shuld been possible, sometime you have to ask the agent to check the PNR history to see the split occur. Contract agents (aka no real UA empolyees) that handle bag check may be misinformed.

As far as the TSA stuff (reply to other posters), our kids always end up with Pre-check when they’re on an itinerary with us, I think just because they are minors. Definitely true another adult on the itinerary wouldn’t get it post-2020, but seems not to apply to minors unless we’re always lucky. At any rate they’re not all under 12, so we won’t all be able to go through pre-check this time.
This is a new twist as it probably only applies to kids older than 12 without their own PreCheck.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:25 am

Traveling EWR > STT with 3 non-status family members on Sunday and just looking to double check this beforehand. I have Gold status so everyone receives 2 free checked bags. When I go to check in, if I split the PNR in order to have a chance at the upgrade, will the rest of my family lose their 2 free checked bags because we are no longer on the same reservation? I’m wondering this for both the flight there and return flight home. It’s paramount that they get the free bags, but I also would love to get the upgrade if I can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.