Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do I use multiple 12TCVA e-certificates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

So, I am the proud recipient of FOUR separate United Airlines 12TCVA e-certificate vouchers as a partial compensation for the canceled flight that my family had to deal with back in February.

I would like to be able to use these vouchers on a single reservation for my next trip with the family (i.e. three of us, three tickets, but one itinerary). However, the vouchers state they cannot be combined and only one can be used per payment.

Does anybody have any thoughts, tricks, or tips on how to use these together? I don't know why United issued them to us separately, since we were all on one itinerary (and my infant doesn't even have a ticket!).

Thanks for your help....

--Bob
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA-1K
Could you maybe try to write to UA customer relations and explain your situation and have them consolidate the vouchers into a single certificate?

Last edited by DeErEtYn; Jul 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You could try calling web support, but I think what you'll be forced to do in this case is just book everyone on a separate itinerary. Then you'll have no problem using them all on this one trip. Booking on separate itineraries is no big deal despite doom and gloom predictions sometimes posted on this board causing worry that somehow there will be a flight cancellation and your infant is going to end up on a different flight that you. Just isn't going to happen.

It's standard procedure to offer vouchers for each person traveling. You may have been able to get them all issued together in your name if you had requested it...not sure about that.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Booking on separate itineraries is no big deal despite doom and gloom predictions sometimes posted on this board causing worry that somehow there will be a flight cancellation and your infant is going to end up on a different flight that you. Just isn't going to happen.
The risk is small but splitting up pax most certainly has happened.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
12tcva E Cert

I just tried to use multiple of these also for our family of five, but told I can only use one. Only way to use multiple E Certs was to book separate resv, but for Irrops purposes, I didn't want to split the PNR so forced to not use the other E Certs.

I also tried to use a cancelled itin to book this flight for five pax and use the E Cert, but unable according to 1K desk.

Funny that even though the E Certs were each individually provided to each in our family when bookedmonnone PNR, but not able to use them the same way.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: Choice Plat
12tcva E-Cert

You should be able to apply each cert at the payment page. It will only let you apply up to the number of people on the res.
Brian
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle

I've never tried, but couldn't one booked the flights independently and then call into customer support to have them combined into a common PNR?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Landice
I've never tried, but couldn't one booked the flights independently and then call into customer support to have them combined into a common PNR?
No, you can not combine seperate PNRs into one. They can be "linked", but this is basically a note in each of the PNRs saying so, which an agent may or may not read if needed, and any auto-system function will definitely not read (i.e. if there are irrops and require rebooking (may not be rebooked on the same flights), or if seat assignments change due to an aircraft change, etc.)

You're likely thinking of splitting people off of a PNR, which can be done.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrianT5
You should be able to apply each cert at the payment page. It will only let you apply up to the number of people on the res.
Brian
You mean you can use multiple e-certs at the payment page? This is News to me.

Each time I used a e-Cert, the system would only take one.

Could you show us HOW to use multiple e-Certs on single PNR?

Originally Posted by 808oman
I just tried to use multiple of these also for our family of five, but told I can only use one. Only way to use multiple E Certs was to book separate resv, but for Irrops purposes, I didn't want to split the PNR so forced to not use the other E Certs.

I also tried to use a cancelled itin to book this flight for five pax and use the E Cert, but unable according to 1K desk.

Funny that even though the E Certs were each individually provided to each in our family when bookedmonnone PNR, but not able to use them the same way.
Do you mean you want to used a cancelled ticket to rebook passengers on top of yourself? and that is not possible.

Or it is also not possible to pay the extra $ on the new booking (new fare) for just the original passenger?

I was under the impression that one can rebook a canceled flight and pay the fare difference with either a CC or a e-Cert. Of course CO required you to pay whatever change fee SEPARATELY with a new payment versus UA just deducted that fee from the value of canceled flight.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: Choice Plat
Happy, are you saying you had more than one person on the res and you could only apply one E-Cert?

Last edited by BrianT5; Jul 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
How does one use multiple travel certs (12TCVA) on one PNR?

Originally Posted by Happy
You mean you can use multiple e-certs at the payment page? This is News to me.

Each time I used a e-Cert, the system would only take one.

Could you show us HOW to use multiple e-Certs on single PNR?
Happy, please show us how. I am booking a RT with 2 pax and only one column shows up for the ecert PIN.

On a similar vane, when I Apply the pin(s), if I decide not to purchase the tix, do I lose the pin(s), or is it reset back to unused even though I clicked Apply?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by weezl
On a similar vane, when I Apply the pin(s), if I decide not to purchase the tix, do I lose the pin(s), or is it reset back to unused even though I clicked Apply?
The money doesn't go away until you click "continue" and try to request that the reservation be ticketed.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
The money doesn't go away until you click "continue" and try to request that the reservation be ticketed.
You imply that if you click continue before the final confirmation/payment (i.e. before clicking "purchase" but after all other steps) that the cert is lost. Is that really the case?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:53 pm

The money is not gone until you click "PURCHASE"

You can use multiple certs by this:

1) Enter Pin Code, Click Apply
2) Click button: Apply to certain Passengers only, then pick a passenger to apply to
3) Then click the link "enter another travel certificate" and redo the process.

The dumb thing about this is that you cannot efficiently redeem multiple certificates. I have a $200 & $200 certificate and want to book (2) $150 r/t's. I end up with two certs with $50 left on each, rather than one e-cert with $100 left. Makes it a pain to use them again if its just one person traveling.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You can combine. But not in your case.

The issue that ETCs you have were issued to different persons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.