Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3 Cabin GPU Question - no BF seats, but 6 GF seats...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hi All,

I'm currently booked on UA 884 from GRU to ORD on 7/15 on an H fare. My GPU is waitlisted.

There are no seats left in BusinessFirst, but there are six of eight seats left in Global First.

1) What are my chances? I'm a 1K.

2) Now obviously if six people upgrade from BF to Global First, then that would open up six spots, but what if most of the people in biz are either already upgraded from Y or are not using GPUs and in BF... i.e. what if nobody from BF moves to GF? Then... do the coach upgrades not clear and we go out with empty seats in GF?

3) Let's say none of the GF seats are taken by BF upgrades, would it still offer me the opportunity to buy-up to GF, even though I have a GPU in place for BF?

4) My speculation is that because this flight is so full, there will also probably be some standbys... so they'll just op-up some people in BF to GF, process the GPUs in whatever order they're in, and then push more people into coach - sound right?

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
You must be booked in J, C, or D in order to be upgraded to GF. GPUs are one cabin upgrade instruments.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TommyC80
You must be booked in J, C, or D in order to be upgraded to GF. GPUs are one cabin upgrade instruments.
Yes. I know that. And my post wasn't about that. Post-count++? Plz read the whole question if you're going to respond - thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Yes. I know that. And my post wasn't about that. Post-count++? Plz read the whole question if you're going to respond - thanks!
I can read sir/madam. Ok, let me hold your hand through it all...

Hi All,

I'm currently booked on UA 884 from GRU to ORD on 7/15 on an H fare. My GPU is waitlisted.

There are no seats left in BusinessFirst, but there are six of eight seats left in Global First.

1) What are my chances? I'm a 1K.

Zero.

2) Now obviously if six people upgrade from BF to Global First, then that would open up six spots, but what if most of the people in biz are either already upgraded from Y or are not using GPUs and in BF... i.e. what if nobody from BF moves to GF? Then... do the coach upgrades not clear and we go out with empty seats in GF?

Yes, see answer 1.

3) Let's say none of the GF seats are taken by BF upgrades, would it still offer me the opportunity to buy-up to GF, even though I have a GPU in place for BF?

Yes, for the difference in fare.

4) My speculation is that because this flight is so full, there will also probably be some standbys... so they'll just op-up some people in BF to GF, process the GPUs in whatever order they're in, and then push more people into coach - sound right?

They don't just op-up people because there are people on the standby list. If the flight is oversold, that's a different story, but if you're banking on an op-up for your upgrade to clear you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Thanks!
Was that clear enough for you?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Yes. It was clear, but I don't believe it was accurate. You responded with "zero" to my first question. In all likelihood, there will be upgrades from businessfirst into global first, thereby opening up some seats, giving upgrade potential to those in coach (perhaps not me, but someone).

Also, your second answer referenced question 1, but question 1 had nothing to do with the second question.

If you're going to be snarky, why even waste the energy on a post? Your responses are rude, and they didn't even answer the questions. I knew there was a reason I posted less on FT these days....
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. It was clear, but I don't believe it was accurate. You responded with "zero" to my first question. In all likelihood, there will be upgrades from businessfirst into global first, thereby opening up some seats, giving upgrade potential to those in coach (perhaps not me, but someone).
That's not what your first question asked. It was rather vague, actually.

If you can confirm at the gate that you are #1 on the upgrade standby list to J, you could consider using another SWU to upgrade a random J passenger to F, assuming they'll be able to process it at the gate (not sure if that's possible). Then whether you actually tell the other passenger or not is between you and the gate agent...
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:49 am
Suspended

Yes they will fly with empty FC seats. Now if Y is oversold then they will look to move Paid C to F and then some Y to C. Thats where they most likely will take those in Y on the WL and put them into C. If Y isnt Oversold and no one on a Paid C is using a GPU to up to FC then Y it will be for You, very simple
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's not what your first question asked. It was rather vague, actually.

If you can confirm at the gate that you are #1 on the upgrade standby list to J, you could consider using another SWU to upgrade a random J passenger to F, assuming they'll be able to process it at the gate (not sure if that's possible). Then whether you actually tell the other passenger or not is between you and the gate agent...
You can't submit new upgrade requests after T-24 with COdbaUA...
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus

Also, your second answer referenced question 1, but question 1 had nothing to do with the second question.

If you're going to be snarky, why even waste the energy on a post? Your responses are rude, and they didn't even answer the questions. I knew there was a reason I posted less on FT these days....
Actually, very little movement normally occurs between BF and GF on three place aircrafts... I would not hinge my bets on this happening. In addition, within 24 hours... the wait list priority is changed. I agree with the other posts... your odds are non-existent to get into GF... and marginal for BF.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:43 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

His responses were to the point and accurate. What's the issue?
If you wanted false encouragement, post on facebook.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
hungarianhc,

Double upgrades (from Y to F on a 3 class aircraft) are rare, but do happen once in a blue moon. It happened to me about 5 years ago. I upgraded from a B fare to C, and asked about a buy up to F at check in. They said yes! The agent made sure to lecture me that this is a one time exception and not the norm. But I happily paid, and got to sit in F.

That said, if they are doing cabin rolls, they may move C to F, opening up C for you. Since you are WL'd for C, you may have some luck that way. Check to see if Y is full/ oversold.

Sorry you felt Tommy's posts were not helpful. He is a respected poster here on FT, and I think everything he stated above was factually correct.

Good luck and safe travels!

Babu
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Um, just wanted to note your flight is F1. You can't use an open seatmap to judge how many seats are available for sale.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
You can't submit new upgrade requests after T-24 with COdbaUA...
That is incorrect. If there is upgrade space confirm-able at the time of the request, you can request it at any time. You can not, however, request to be wait-listed for an upgrade inside of T-24.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
On a recent flight I was 6 out of 7 the cleared into C. There were 4 UGs to F otherwise I would not have cleared. On most flight there are at least a few people on the waitlist for GF.

I've gotten double upgraded three times. Once complimentary as a GS (long time ago) and twice on UFCs applied on top of SWUs. I always ask. Works about once out of 50 flights if you get a very cooperative and very inexperienced agent.

Bottom line, you might have a decent shot at C but close to no chance on GF.

In the old days when you could apply SWU same day, there were occasionally reports that if C was full and someone was #1 on the waitlist, they'd give an SWU to someone in C to clear a seat for themselves. UG ended up costing two SWUs, but for some it was better than sitting in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.