Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Awesome. OP, thanks a ton. Just booked two tickets for December. It looked like 4 people in J was possible, FYI.

Last edited by gpeso8; Jul 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:30 pm

I can't imagine that SQ (or UA depending on who the guilty party is) would want to take the hit for all these tickets. At this point, based just on this thread, you're talking the potential to lose out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.

Nonetheless, I'll keep holding hope that my AKL trip will hold. Going from IAD to AKL via SIN isn't the fastest way, but it sure would be sweet since NZ awards in business are nonexistent. And honestly, if these tickets do go through, it would certainly allow me to forgive UA for some of their screw-ups throughout the past few months.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Vunder31
Booked SFO-SIN-SFO, got the eticket confirmation quickly, then cancelled it (found better trip to MEL for same dates) and got the miles refunded immediately.

Booked SFO-(HKG)-SIN-MEL-SIN-(HKG)-SFO 15 minutes ago, still waiting for eticket confirmation received eticket info after 20 minutes.
[Edit: Ticketed ]
how did you cancel it, calling or online? Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
how did you cancel it, calling or online? Thanks
Chose "Refund" on the reservation info page ("View Current Reservation") online.
The "Refund" link is available for 24 hrs after booking. There is also a "cancel" link available after the 24 hrs have passed, but usually doesn't work for international itineraries. Then you have to call UA and ask them to refund your miles, and it can take a day (or more...).

Last edited by Vunder31; Jul 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: United GS, SQ PPS
!!!

Kudos to the OP. Just snagged a $10,000 SIN-EWR-SIN ticket over Thanksgiving for 120,000 points.

Wow. Just wow.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:42 pm

This is also available to Aeroplan Members, without YQ. I don't think this is just limited to UA... ;D
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
So, am I nuts? Considering replacing some flights on an existing award itin in about a month:

Current:
LAX-IAD C on pmCO FB 752
IAD-FRA F on UA 777

Proposed:
LAX-SFO F
SFO-JFK ps F
JFK-FRA SQ C 388

So drop UA GF for SQ C TATL. Still get GFL access because of the ps F segment. Do we feel there is a risk these will get FUBAR'd and I will totally screw up my trip leaving me with no way to get to FRA?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I feel like I am reading a thread where everyone is hitting the jackpot and just before collecting the rug will be pulled out from underneath them.

Hope it works out for everyone though.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by apodo77
I feel like I am reading a thread where everyone is hitting the jackpot and just before collecting the rug will be pulled out from underneath them.

Hope it works out for everyone though.
The worst thing that can happen is that SQ refuses to honor the ticket, and we get refunds. Could be bad if you changed an existing reservation to fly SQ instead and the original flights are no longer available. If you're making a new reservation and the miles are refunded if SQ puts up a fight, you're back to where you were before today

Originally Posted by jasonvr
So, am I nuts? Considering replacing some flights on an existing award itin in about a month:

Current:
LAX-IAD C on pmCO FB 752
IAD-FRA F on UA 777

Proposed:
LAX-SFO F
SFO-JFK ps F
JFK-FRA SQ C 388

So drop UA GF for SQ C TATL. Still get GFL access because of the ps F segment. Do we feel there is a risk these will get FUBAR'd and I will totally screw up my trip leaving me with no way to get to FRA?
If SQ refuses to honor the tickets and the original flights are no longer available, you could have some trouble.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
If SQ refuses to honor the tickets and the original flights are no longer available, you could have some trouble.
If it tickets, and you get a ticket number, can't the DOT enforce like it did for the RGN deal? DOT now seems to consider a ticket number a contract and seems to be willing to play hardball with the airlines like it did with KE.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jasonvr
If it tickets, and you get a ticket number, can't the DOT enforce like it did for the RGN deal? DOT now seems to consider a ticket number a contract and seems to be willing to play hardball with the airlines like it did with KE.
True, but if your flight is soon, you may have to ask yourself if you think it's worth the risk if the DOT can't set SQ straight quickly.
Also, your ticket is a contract between you and UA, not SQ.
If SQ decides that they don't want to follow the rules (not the first time...), what can UA do other than trying to rebook you?
In your case, your original itinerary is on UA, so they should be able to get you seats, but if the original itinerary is on a different *A carrier, UA could have problems getting award first/business seats for you.

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
You may well get a ticket number in a non-existent ticketing system!... Seems SQ hasn't closed off access whilst they are doing the transfer and I suspect everything has emptied out of the old system

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA can overbook its own flights. In other words, a given United flight could be I0/O0 but they can force a booking into the proper fare bucket if they need to. I think this would be a situation where doing so would be a reasonable resolution if SQ fails to honor these tickets.

That's why I cautioned against canceling confirmed partner award space. If this inventory proves to be illusory you'd likely be left without recourse if the partner space disappears.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
What an amazing find! Thank you, OP!! Just booked a trip to SYD for New Years!!!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I'm not going to need a visa for the DME stop on IAH-SIN, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.