Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need help with daughter's flight using miles to TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE

I don't spend much time in the United forum but I have some questions and need your help.

My daughter is going to study overseas in Tel Aviv next year. Tickets were so expensive so I redeemed some United miles for a one way trip there and will worry about the return later.

We live in Dallas but there wasn't availability from DFW but there was from IAH with LH via Frankfurt. I booked that ticket and figured Ill get her somehow to Houston.

Here are my questions. 1) If I just but a one way revenue ticket on united DFW-IAH would I be able to somehow combine the tickets and check her bags through to TLV while in Dallas? 2) If I buy a ticket on AA could I do the same? Would AA interline the two tickets and allow me the do the international check in at DFW and the bags to through to TLV?

3) If an award seat opens up from DFW-IAH would there be a charge to add that segment to my Itinerary ?

4) She has a 12 hour layover in Frankfurt. Would she need any visa to leave the airport for a few hours? Is it safe? Worth it?

5) I know I could buy a one day pass at the Admirals Club, is that true for the United Club as well? Would that pass work in Frankfurt?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by hotdogs; Jul 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by hotdogs
4) She has a 12 hour layover in Frankfurt. Would she need any visa to leave the airport for a few hours? Is it safe? Worth it?
Assuming she is an American citizen or one of the other visa exempt nations, definitely allowed. I considered a TLV-MUC-US routing with an even longer overnight connection time to visit friends but was priced out.

Be aware though, German immigration at FRA is a little suspicious from my personal experience of young adults traveling alone and might ask for confirmation of further travel, etc. I've been asked for student visas and the like before for other countries while connecting at FRA. Make sure she has a copy of the itinerary available.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Yes, she is an American Citizen. Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
A 12 hour layover in Frankfurt, if she is up to it after such a long flight, yes, worth it Frankfurt is beautiful, safe and no visa required. Typically any airline will enter your baggage to your final destination even if you several reservations. This does not work across airlines.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_Cathedral
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:35 pm

Here are my questions. 1) If I just but a one way revenue ticket on united DFW-IAH would I be able to somehow combine the tickets and check her bags through to TLV while in Dallas? 2) If I buy a ticket on AA could I do the same? Would AA interline the two tickets and allow me the do the international check in at DFW and the bags to through to TLV?
You will be able to check the bags through. Just bring both e-tickets, make sure they check your bags through to TLV.

3) If an award seat opens up from DFW-IAH would there be a charge to add that segment to my Itinerary ?
That would be a change or origin/destination, so entails a fee. The more status you have on UA, the lower the fee until there is none for for Plat, 1K, GS.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx

US citizen, no problem, very safe, very friendly place.

5) I know I could buy a one day pass at the Admirals Club, is that true for the United Club as well? Would that pass work in Frankfurt?
No, there is no United Club in Frankfurt. UA uses Lufthansa's lounges and UC one day passes don't work there.

-David
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks David for all your great info!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
My daughter is going to study overseas in Tel Aviv next year. Tickets were so expensive so I redeemed some United miles for a one way trip there and will worry about the return later.
By next year, I assume you mean 2013. You are way too early for any bargain fares. Suggest you monitor sales for the time she plans to travel. You will likely find a good deal from DFW with better connections, and may decide to take it and redeposit your miles. What would consider a reasonable one way $ fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.