Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should passengers refuse UA VDB offers in order to maximize oversale compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should passengers refuse UA VDB offers in order to maximize oversale compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by STS-134
The point is to extract as much possible from the airline as a group, and THEN sort out who gets what. Like this:
1. NOBODY volunteers.
2. Airline is forced to bump passengers involuntarily. Bumped passengers demand cash from the airline.
3. If the bumped passengers want to stay overnight, they just got $1300, not as a stupid travel voucher, but in CASH. If they don't or can't, then they should start making offers to other passengers who CAN get off the flight. Basically, turn around and begin paying people to get out of your way, using the cash that the airline just gave you.
4. Given that the bumped passengers are holding more in CASH than the airline was offering in stupid VOUCHERS, they can probably get SOMEONE to bite. Say someone bits for $800 cash. Great, the pax who wants to be on the flight pays him or her $800* and pockets the remaining $500.

* The pax who now must reschedule the flight would likely be subject to a change fee, unless he or she is an elite. But still, the increased amount of cash being thrown around should more than pay for all of these fees.

Careful. That Mendocino County stuff is quite strong.

This may be helpful.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Come to think of it, what does this thread even have to do with UA? (Other than the OP is mad at them, LOL!)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:30 pm

Once the passenger holding the ticket agrees to be paid by the bumped passenger, that passenger would walk up to the GA and say "I am NOT taking this flight!". The GA can't physically FORCE that passenger to get on the plane. What's the airline going to do at this point, go out with an empty seat?
They won't force the passenger to get on, but they will say "okay, that will be a $250 change fee plus fare difference...only $1500 if you want to fly tomorrow...ooh, except there are no seats in that fare bucket tomorrow, how about standby 3 days from now?" And to the passenger that was IDBed, "I'm sorry, it's too late now to add you to the closed flight". So many ways for this to go wrong for both passengers...

I sympathize with the desire for better VDB compensation, but the fact of the matter is that this part is as free a market as their is in travel, and if the "value" for some of giving up their seat is only $200, and the airline predicts/realizes that, that's what the compensation will be.

Generally, cartels/unions/etc require a lot more organization, cooperation, legal backing, and even threat of force or other penalty to work than you're going to find at gate K31 of Anywhere International Airport. And no, if you're "scolding" the person who's volunteering, they're not the one who's going to come off as rude and inappropriate...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
D) Volunteer early and receive the same maximum amount of compensation as later volunteers. I've had this happen on PMUA and new UA; most recently, the initial offer was $200 when I was offloaded and rebooked; final offer was $400 to the last folks taken; I was given the same $400 as them.
That's how it's supposed to be, and also why the poster @37 is too glib by half. Don't ever take a bump and "not look back". The offer may be sweetened before the flight leaves, and everyone who VDBed is entitled to the final DBC offer. Moreover, and I won't say this is going to happen ever again, but I once took a VDB bump from a flight that ended up being an IDB situation for additional seats. I just sat in the waiting area in the GA's field of vision and waited. She came over almost after all was said and done and traded me the IDB DBC. That was the extreme. But I think it's also how it's supposed to be.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:08 am

Programs: UA1K
I show up for my next flight and AGAIN UA is running at > 100% load factor. Any screw ups and there would be nowhere to move anyone again. NO SYMPATHY for UA! So do I believe that passengers should do everything in their power to maximize oversale compensation, take the CASH, and then trade later? You bet!
actually, this is the case with just about every airline except B6. almost every airline does oversells. and as others have pointed out, your theory would never work.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Once the passenger holding the ticket agrees to be paid by the bumped passenger, that passenger would walk up to the GA and say "I am NOT taking this flight!". The GA can't physically FORCE that passenger to get on the plane. What's the airline going to do at this point, go out with an empty seat?

On a more personal note, I WAS already peeved at UA for what happened on my SFO-LHR flight. I had an aisle seat, and UA moved a husband and wife up into two middle seats a row apart (they were initially sitting at the back of the plane together). Now the wife had a lap child, and the husband wouldn't be there to help her take care of her (in this process, UA left the wife's mother in the back of the plane, basically taking a group of 3 people and putting them in 3 non adjacent seats, with 2 in one part of the plane and 1 in a completely separate section). Because UA was running the flight at 100% load factor, and apparently had already given the couple's original seats to someone else, there was nowhere to move anyone. I was faced with the choice of either keeping my aisle seat and having a lap child next to me while I was trying to sleep, or moving back into the husband's middle seat. I chose the latter.

I show up for my next flight and AGAIN UA is running at > 100% load factor. Any screw ups and there would be nowhere to move anyone again. NO SYMPATHY for UA! So do I believe that passengers should do everything in their power to maximize oversale compensation, take the CASH, and then trade later? You bet!
The problem with your idea is that if the goal is to hold out for $900, I'm going to agree to hold out and then take it at $850. Remember, you & I are competing for compensation. We're not both going to get it. So, I'm going to undercut you. That's what all air carriers aim for.

My guess is that if UA were bold about this, they ought to try offering $200+hotel+food vouchers. There's likely a couple of people who would be thrilled to have a paid night in London.

In the end, UA is a business, not a person. Being mean to a business doesn't matter. It's feelings won't be hurt.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a more personal note, I WAS already peeved at UA for what happened on my SFO-LHR flight. I had an aisle seat, and UA moved a husband and wife up into two middle seats a row apart (they were initially sitting at the back of the plane together). Now the wife had a lap child, and the husband wouldn't be there to help her take care of her (in this process, UA left the wife's mother in the back of the plane, basically taking a group of 3 people and putting them in 3 non adjacent seats, with 2 in one part of the plane and 1 in a completely separate section). Because UA was running the flight at 100% load factor, and apparently had already given the couple's original seats to someone else, there was nowhere to move anyone. I was faced with the choice of either keeping my aisle seat and having a lap child next to me while I was trying to sleep, or moving back into the husband's middle seat. I chose the latter.

jmastron's reply is spot on. They cannot "force" the passenger to get on but they will hit them with every change fee, fare difference, etc charge as they no longer need anyone because they IDB'd you and don't have the need to bump anyone else. And the GA is now very busy closing out your international flight and does not have the time to play passenger swap. The idea will not work for many of the reasons stated in this thread and the most compelling is human nature to be greedy. And everyones greed point is different.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Often1
The problem with your idea is that if the goal is to hold out for $900, I'm going to agree to hold out and then take it at $850. Remember, you & I are competing for compensation. We're not both going to get it. So, I'm going to undercut you. That's what all air carriers aim for.

My guess is that if UA were bold about this, they ought to try offering $200+hotel+food vouchers. There's likely a couple of people who would be thrilled to have a paid night in London.

In the end, UA is a business, not a person. Being mean to a business doesn't matter. It's feelings won't be hurt.
man, you hit the nail on the head.

on memorial day i was flying IAD-YYZ and they had an oversell. she offered $400. i beat this girl to the podium. problem was, i was doing a connection. she said she would get back to me. girl behind me was going straight to YYZ, but couldn't take the later flight. she upped it to $500, and i said "just put me on the nonstop."

well, at the end of the day, we had a no show. but in the case of VDB's, i am in this for myself and not hoping to "hold out" with other people i will likely never see again.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
If you are going to undercut me at $850, then what you should do is TELL ME your price. Both of us hold out so the airline is forced to give $900, they pay you $900, and you keep between $850-900 and give me somewhere between $0-50. A fair price, I think, is to split it in half. You keep $875 and stay behind with an extra $25, and I go on my way with an extra $25. See how that works?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If you are going to undercut me at $850, then what you should do is TELL ME your price. Both of us hold out so the airline is forced to give $900, they pay you $900, and you keep between $850-900 and give me somewhere between $0-50. A fair price, I think, is to split it in half. You keep $875 and stay behind with an extra $25, and I go on my way with an extra $25. See how that works?
Right, because the optimal place to practice game theory optimization of VDB with 200 strangers is gate Z34 at Anonymous International Airport 15 minutes before a flight departure.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And we know everyone in the world tells the truth.

This thread is purely about your greed to maximize your money and getting 200+ other people to agree to hold out so you can maximize your profit. You set your price point and tell the airline I will stay for that amount. If it works great. If someone comes in cheaper, oh well, better luck next time.

And aren't IDB amounts already predefined based on certain factors? Good luck getting a VDB amount greater than the predefined IDB amount. As far as I know there are no customer defined price points for IDB. The airline IDB's you and gives you cash based on certain factors, end of story. No negotiating. They like the VDB as it is a voucher and they know there will be a certain amount of breakage (certs not used). Much cheaper for them.

Last edited by Baze; Jul 3, 2012 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right, because the optimal place to practice game theory optimization of VDB with 200 strangers is gate Z34 at Anonymous International Airport 15 minutes before a flight departure.
Yeah, would love to see how that works for the OP

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
And we know everyone in the world tells the truth.

This thread is purely about your greed to maximize your money and getting 200+ other people to agree to hold out so you can maximize your profit. You set your price point and tell the airline I will stay for that amount. If it works great. If someone comes in cheaper, oh well, better luck next time.
From the perspective of each passenger who can stay behind trying to maximize his profit, all pax are competitors. However from the perspective of all passengers as a whole, we should see ourselves as a team. In the above example, note that the result (as far as who stays and who goes) is the same. The only difference is that each of us has an additional $25, because we cooperated.

It could easily happen, if someone were to take charge, step up, and start writing down everyone's offers. It could also happen automatically, if technologies like Wi-Fi Direct become ubiquitous.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by GUWonder

... speaking of limited English, aren't cartels a creature of commercial/industrial/political suppliers of goods/services?

A retail consumer union, even one aiming for monopsony power, in an oligopolistic market where the suppliers are coddled by the government just isn't going to result in a cartel no matter how it's played.
Without wanting to get too deep into a semantic argument, a cartel is a collusion among the sellers of a particular commodity in an attempt to raise their prices. Usually United is the seller and we're the buyers, but in this particular case United is buying the right to deboard us and we're the sellers. Assuming the OP could indeed persuade everybody on the plane not to take VDBs in the hopes that they'll be able to voluntarily distribute the IDB (hah!) then this would be an ad hoc one-off cartel situation.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: VAG
From the perspective of each passenger who can stay behind trying to maximize his profit, all pax are competitors. However from the perspective of all passengers as a whole, we should see ourselves as a team.
Why should I see myself as part of a team? I'm just me, I don't care about the rest of y'all.

If I'm forced to introspect, my interests probably have more in common with United Airlines (that is, its shareholders) than they do with many of the random jerks onboard my plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.