Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Annual 5,000 EQM on Chase MP Signature Visa is now history?

Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat

I've been trying to chase down my annual 5,000 EQM deposit for my Chase MP Signature card for the last month, and finally found out this evening from a rep saying that the benefit has been taken away.

I've had the card for quite a while (since the late 90s) and I've always received my EQM deposit shortly after my anniversary - without spending requirements. Chase was able to verify that those deposits were indeed made.

So what's a consumer to do? I've never received the notice that this benefit was going to be taken away (but certainly the one about the lower annual fee rebate).

Is an FTC complaint the way to go? I just feel that UA keeps screwing people over and they can't just walk all over consumers like that, especially when they are your most loyal customers.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Nope - this one is still live, and in the Ts and Cs updated 3/27/2012:

https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPC0278.pdf

(you might need to log into Chase Online for that to work).
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I recently got my 5000
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Mine posted on 5/22, so I'm pretty sure it's still with us.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I was specifically pointing to a 5,000 EQM/PQM credit on my anniversary. It seems that the one that you were pointing to only gave me 5,000 EQMs/PQMs when you first get the card, and earn another 5,000 after reaching a $ milestone on purchases.

Of course, the $1 UA spend to get 1 EQM/PQM still stands.

Did you guys get your 5,000 based on your purchase levels, or did you hit that $25K/$35K milestone in purchases?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
Thanks very much. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I was specifically pointing to a 5,000 EQM/PQM credit on my anniversary. It seems that the one that you were pointing to only gave me 5,000 EQMs/PQMs when you first get the card, and earn another 5,000 after reaching a $ milestone on purchases.

Did you guys get your 5,000 based on your purchase levels, or did you hit that $25K/$35K milestone in purchases?
I believe the only two that remain relevant are the 5k for $35k spend, plus 1 per $1 spend on UA.COM, up to a maximum of 5k. And further I believe there was something that capped max EQMs at 10k total. But I don't believe I ever got a 5k anniversary bonus; only a 5k signing bonus the first year.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I believe the only two that remain relevant are the 5k for $35k spend, plus 1 per $1 spend on UA.COM, up to a maximum of 5k. And further I believe there was something that capped max EQMs at 10k total. But I don't believe I ever got a 5k anniversary bonus; only a 5k signing bonus the first year.
Thanks so much Mike. I've asked UA to deliver me a history of EQMs/PQMs posted as well. I did read over the latest Ts&Cs and it does state exactly what you've outlined. I'm going to do some more digging.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:53 pm

I was specifically pointing to a 5,000 EQM/PQM credit on my anniversary. It seems that the one that you were pointing to only gave me 5,000 EQMs/PQMs when you first get the card, and earn another 5,000 after reaching a $ milestone on purchases.
I don't believe this was a sign-up bonus, as I've had the card for years. I'm also pretty sure I have not hit the spending threshold for 5k PQMs. I did receive my PQMs for united.com purchases earlier in the year. My MP account displays these new miles as:

5/22/2012 Chase Select Anniversary Bonus 5000

The miles are only RDMs, not PQMs.

And I think Mike Jacoubowsky is correct, because they took me by surprise.

Last edited by lexdevil; Jul 2, 2012 at 12:15 am
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I don't believe this was a sign-up bonus, as I've had the card for years. I'm also pretty sure I have not hit the spending threshold for 5k PQMs. I did receive my PQMs for united.com purchases earlier in the year. My MP account displays these new miles as:

5/22/2012 Chase Select Anniversary Bonus 5000

The miles are only EQMs, not PQMs.
You're exactly like me. I've had this every single year until this year and I haven't seen it yet.

BTW I thought EQMs (old term) = PQMs (new term, Premier Qualifying Miles)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:14 am

You're exactly like me. I've had this every single year until this year and I haven't seen it yet.

BTW I thought EQMs (old term) = PQMs (new term, Premier Qualifying Miles)
Oops. Typo. Meant RDMs only. Will fix. I never got more than 10k PQMs from the card each year. Always 5k from united.com purchases and another 5k from spending.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:46 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
My 5000 posted in mid-June.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
This year it looks like I'll be ~2500 mile short of 75K level, and I will have only earned 2500 via the Chase card/United.com EQM bonus. So I'm wondering if I can buy a fully refundable ticket in Nov, get the EQM's to credit in Dec, then refund the ticket in Jan? Will they take back the status when I refund? Or will I have negative EQM next year? Or will nothing happen?

I know I can't be the first person to think of this but I haven't found it mentioned in other threads.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by wayan
This year it looks like I'll be ~2500 mile short of 75K level, and I will have only earned 2500 via the Chase card/United.com EQM bonus. So I'm wondering if I can buy a fully refundable ticket in Nov, get the EQM's to credit in Dec, then refund the ticket in Jan? Will they take back the status when I refund? Or will I have negative EQM next year? Or will nothing happen?
New UNITED will take back the PQM and adjust your status accordingly.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:26 am

Can you send the link to sign up? So if i read this right, I can get up to 5k pqm towards my elite stratus each year based on how much I spend at united.com?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Never have had an anniversary 5000 EQM. The first year I did get 15000 EQMs, 5000 EQM for $35k spend, 5000 EQM for united.com, and 5000 EQM as a sign up bonus (though I believe that had a spend requirement).

Last edited by mre5765; Jul 27, 2013 at 11:45 am Reason: Lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.