Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help with suggestions for award round trip to China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG,MP

I am here to look for some suggestions to book a trip to China with miles. It is to visit my old man for a special accasion and therefore not much flexibility in schedule.

Flight out from SFO to WNZ (Wenzhou).
Outbound: found saver award flight for 32,500 miles
Return: no saver award available between July 31st - August 3rd.

Help needed:
1. What are the other options from WNZ ->SFO? route through Beijing and Shanghai directly to SFO seems to be impossible during summer. Any other less busy connecting sites?
2. I have about 40k miles from Delta, is there a good way to use it for the return flight?

Welcome any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
If you're willing to connect there are probably limitless route combinations you could swing together. So many options that it'd be stupid for me to try and list them all.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
If you're willing to connect there are probably limitless route combinations you could swing together. So many options that it'd be stupid for me to try and list them all.
"Limitless?" I don't think so. But, I would search for WNZ-SHA/PEK in isolation, and then do the rest. PVG-KIX-SFO is usually easy to snag.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Good luck using Delta miles! But if United can get you SFO-anywhere China & return, then perhaps you could use the Delta miles for an internal flight?

Do you have enough miles for a r/t UA saver award, or are you short even for that? At least for China, it's fairly common that a one-way fare is approximately half of a round trip, so if you can afford to pay for part of the trip, things might work out.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Delta doesn't so one way awards, so don't look to them for any help.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
look at also look at icn sfo, nrt sfo, and any other airport you can think of
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
For the return, maybe try looking for availability from SHA, PVG, HGH, FOC, XMN, CAN, and PEK. You might have to buy a oneway ticket for the domestic hop to get to one of those airports if you can snag an award seat from there. Since connections for the U.S. leave in the morning, you might have to consider overnighting. High speed rail is also an option, but it's quite a hassle to transfer between station and airport in any of those cities. Nonetheless, it's an option of the last resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.