Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1 July United #351 [LIH-SFO] delayed 9 hours!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 July United #351 [LIH-SFO] delayed 9 hours!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmack
So now I'm wondering if I should back us up with a booking on tomorrows flight..
Call and ask to be protected on the flight tomorrow. They can do this without changing your existing booking today, but if todays flight gets canceled then you've got a confirmed seat on tomorrow flight ahead of anyone else.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by docbert
Call and ask to be protected on the flight tomorrow. They can do this without changing your existing booking today, but if todays flight gets canceled then you've got a confirmed seat on tomorrow flight ahead of anyone else.
Done. I actually called twice to make sure the "rebook" was a double booking and we are "protected"

I hope. Thanks for all the advice.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I found that PMUA was very careful about posting delays and didn't then adjust them back, making it dangerous to be away from the airport or gate. However, these days I've had it happen -- a 5:00 departure, say, delayed until 8, then readjusted to 6. If I weren't around it would have been a problem. Another situation making one wonder if the people at United have ever traveled themselves.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I have received an automated voicemail from UA saying my flight was cancelled and gone to the airport later, only to discover the flight was secretly un-cancelled and left on time without me. I've never believed these notifications since.
I've had something similar happen to me, albeit, it was about 5 years ago. Got a notification as I was on my way to the airport saying my ORD-CVG flight (last of the night) was canceled. So I got on the phone with reservations, and had them put me on an AA flight, instead. When I got to the airport, I noticed that there was a UA flight that was going to go to CVG. Since I was already re-booked, I just stayed on the AA flight, but apparently they decided to y combine this with the DAY flight - so ended up going either ORD-CVG-DAY, or ORD-DAY-CVG.

I've also seen delays roll back, though again, at ORD. I'm sure I've told the story on this board at some point before, but my now wife nearly missed a flight when she got a message stating a delay of 2 hours, so decided to spend some extra time at home. She then got another message about an hour later, noting it had rolled back to the original departure time (guess they found a new aircraft). Rushing to the airport, it was pretty close, but she made it.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Successful resolution

The Sunday flight #351 to-day is eventually scheduled to go(maybe) around midnight....so I called the 1K Desk in Chicago: They confirmed we were protected on the Monday flight#351...and they had even kept our Saver Award UG so we were in F.
At this point we just switched over to tomorrow's flight...gives us an extra day here to get things done, won't miss anything important in Palo Alto.

I was really pleased they had kept our UG intact....everything in order
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ChicagoUnited
Another situation making one wonder if the people at United have ever traveled themselves.
Really it's a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't!

If they don't post the delay, people look at the inbound flights (or notification from numerous websites that monitor such things) and see they are going to be delayed, and then complain that although United "knew" about the pending delay they didn't notify anyone.

If they do post the delay, and then shuffle flights to sub in a different plane, then people complain about the delay that was notified but didn't happen.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:23 pm

Last time I had a big UA delay at LIH, the airport turned off the A/C around 10pm or 11pm and the flight to SFO was delayed until 2am.

UA said the airport automatically shut off the A/C and there was nothing they could do about it nor could they request any of the vendors to stay open a bit later.

When I suggested maybe provided some juice, soda, water and nuts from their catering supply, I was told all they had was exactly provisioned for the return flight and if they used any in advance they would run out on the plane.

I then suggested maybe keeping some cases of soda, water and pretzels around from the island Costco.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Meanwhile Mrs. Level's SW flight out of SFO finally pushed back tonight from the gate 3 hours, 50 minutes late. The good news, is that I had some extra Daddy time with the two mini-Levels this weekend. Part of which was spent with our 7 year old Level-ette watching the classic movie Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. She was in awe by the chocolate river, and the singing oompa-loompas, while my mind wandered off and began to imagine what magical sights might unfold to anyone who got a Golden Ticket to peek behind the doors of UA's IT Department.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 2, 2012 at 12:46 am Reason: response to deleted post
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
SFO had low clouds and fog all day yesterday...it was a zoo...took a $200 VDB off of a SFO-PDX flight (with a bump from E+ to F since all the PDX flights were basically Y0 all day for some reason)...in looking at the board, with all the "awaiting aircraft", "cancelled", "weather, "air traffic control" delay messages, it did look like SFO-LIH was the winner for the day as far as longest delay goes....me, I bounced back and forth between the two UA Clubs and used up the two $10 meal vouchers so I was a happy camper
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Never let the sun set on a United ticket

Originally Posted by mmack
The Sunday flight #351 to-day is eventually scheduled to go(maybe) around midnight....so I called the 1K Desk in Chicago: They confirmed we were protected on the Monday flight#351...and they had even kept our Saver Award UG so we were in F.
At this point we just switched over to tomorrow's flight...gives us an extra day here to get things done, won't miss anything important in Palo Alto.

I was really pleased they had kept our UG intact....everything in order
Oh ha ha ha :I forgot the first rule of FT: never let the sun set on a booking without re-checking that it has been confirmed and ticketed. Didn't check my email last night, and this am we did not have a reservation for this afternoon's flight 351.

The first call to the 1K Desk went AWOL, the agent disappeared and I was holding on a dead line. Second call to a Premiere Desk in Colorado resolved the issue, and we were able to snag the last two seats together in F .

Interestingly, about 10 minutes after I'd printed up our new Boarding Passes I got a phone call survey from UA asking about my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.