Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is responsible for rebooking me in case of IRROP & multiple carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is responsible for rebooking me in case of IRROP & multiple carriers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by socalflying
Thank you. I am not *G, but that segment is in business, so if things turn ugly here's hoping I won't be spending the night in YYZ!
UA/AC/LH/SN/OS/LX revenue share on trans-Atlantic flights, so I can't see why any agent would be the least bit concerned about rebooking you on a later flight operated by one of these carriers. There are many later AC flights from YYZ to major European hubs, the latest being AC858 to LHR at 23:05. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
UA/AC/LH/SN/OS/LX revenue share on trans-Atlantic flights, so I can't see why any agent would be the least bit concerned about rebooking you on a later flight operated by one of these carriers. There are many later AC flights from YYZ to major European hubs, the latest being AC858 to LHR at 23:05. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Thank you, Stu! I appreciate it.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
not on an award ticket. If AC is late they will have to sort it out with LH or on their won metal.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
not on an award ticket. If AC is late they will have to sort it out with LH or on their won metal.
So in this case, on an award ticket, where the flight is on SN (YYZ-BRU) and is their only flight from this airport (YYZ)--I would have to wait for SN's next available flight (hopefully the next day) or would there be any chance of getting re-accommodated on a partner airline?

And what would happen if I knew the YYZ-BRU segment was going to cancel before I left on AC LAX--YYZ? Usually the SN flight (552) cancels because the reciprocal flight (551) cancels from BRU-YYZ, which I would know before leaving LAX. Who should I contact, and what would my options be? If it matters the first segment (LAX-YYZ) is coach, YYZ-BRU is biz.

(I"m sorry if these are noob questions...my first time using UA miles on an all-partner flight.)

Last edited by socalflying; Aug 13, 2017 at 5:53 pm
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in this case, on an award ticket, where the flight is on SN (YYZ-BRU) and is their only flight from this airport (YYZ)--I would have to wait for SN's next available flight (hopefully the next day) or would there be any chance of getting re-accommodated on a partner airline?
There is absolutely a chance to be re-accommodated on a partner airline, especially given that you're in business class. However, there's no guarantee. SN -- or AC, if you miss your SN flight because of an AC delay -- will follow their own rebooking procedures, in line with *A guidelines.

And what would happen if I knew the YYZ-BRU segment was going to cancel before I left on AC LAX--YYZ? Usually the SN flight (552) cancels because the reciprocal flight (551) cancels from BRU-YYZ, which I would know before leaving LAX. Who should I contact, and what would my options be? If it matters the first segment (LAX-YYZ) is coach, YYZ-BRU is biz.
It's still SN's responsibility if this happens, and given the classes of service, that's probably for the best. AC might be willing to re-route you, but they'd likely do so in coach. Before travel begins, you can certainly call UA, as the ticketing carrier, and they can rebook you also -- but likely only into available award space or (maybe) on UA metal. Unless you see award space available from LAX, your best bet is to go to YYZ and deal with SN there.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:09 pm

My understanding is that if SN cancels their flight, then SN needs to sort things out. If, as a result, socalflying arrives in VCE more than 4 hours later than originally scheduled, SN (as a European carrier) also owes him 600 Euros compensation under European rules.

If AC is late and socalflying misses his BRU flight, then AC needs to sort it out (and there should be plenty of other options available that evening). No compensation is due.

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Aug 13, 2017 at 6:22 pm Reason: formatting
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's still SN's responsibility if this happens, and given the classes of service, that's probably for the best. AC might be willing to re-route you, but they'd likely do so in coach. Before travel begins, you can certainly call UA, as the ticketing carrier, and they can rebook you also -- but likely only into available award space or (maybe) on UA metal. Unless you see award space available from LAX, your best bet is to go to YYZ and deal with SN there.
If it were me, I wouldn't even bother trying to sort things out in LAX. Go to YYZ and let SN deal with it.

Also, while flights irregularities can happen, it is unlikely that SN would cancel their flight. (Even though it was cancelled this evening.)

Last edited by StuMcIlwain; Aug 13, 2017 at 6:39 pm Reason: flight cancelled today
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:25 pm

Thank you to Stu and jsloan for the comprehensive answers. I appreciate it!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Lining Up My Ducks in Case of Misconnect: SFO-IAD-ADD-WDH

In October I'll be flying SFO-IAD-ADD-WDH. Ticket issued by UA, for which I paid a premium over an ET ticket. The purpose was to get UA protection in case of misconnects or cancellations. The ADD-WDH flight operates only three times a week, so its cancellation or a misconnect due to a delayed IAD-ADD flight would create a serious and unacceptable delay.

There are alternate routings that would minimize any delay. My questions are: (1) to what extent is UA responsible for rerouting if the irrops (UA or ET) are identified before the journey begins (i.e., in SFO)?; (2) what are UA's obligations if ET irrops are identified on arrival in IAD?; and (3) does UA have any remaining obligation if a cancellation or misconnect happens in ADD?

(It should be possible to know prior to departure from SFO if the ET aircraft operating IAD-ADD is behind schedule.)

Some of the alternate routings are on *A carriers, others are not. I can handle some delay, but how much delay will UA force me to endure before it will consider putting me on non-*A carriers, such as Air Namibia? Any tips on how to approach UA about ET irrops discovered during the journey?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tunapalooza
In October I'll be flying SFO-IAD-ADD-WDH. Ticket issued by UA, for which I paid a premium over an ET ticket. The purpose was to get UA protection in case of misconnects or cancellations.
The ticketing carrier makes no difference for day-of-flight IRROPS. It may make things marginally better if a flight is cancelled in advance.

The ADD-WDH flight operates only three times a week, so its cancellation or a misconnect due to a delayed IAD-ADD flight would create a serious and unacceptable delay.

There are alternate routings that would minimize any delay. My questions are: (1) to what extent is UA responsible for rerouting if the irrops (UA or ET) are identified before the journey begins (i.e., in SFO)?; (2) what are UA's obligations if ET irrops are identified on arrival in IAD?; and (3) does UA have any remaining obligation if a cancellation or misconnect happens in ADD?

(It should be possible to know prior to departure from SFO if the ET aircraft operating IAD-ADD is behind schedule.)
1 - (Assuming this refers to the day of travel) -- If your flight to IAD is cancelled, UA will rebook you through to WDH from SFO. If either ET flight has been cancelled, you may be able to get UA to help you out, but it's also possible that they would tell you (correctly) that it's ET's responsibility, and suggest that you get in touch with them about rebooking, either from SFO or once you've arrived at IAD.

2 - None. If you misconnect due to a delayed UA flight, that's UA's responsibility. The scenario you've outlined is not.

3 - No

You can try to convince UA that a delayed inbound from ADD is going to cause you to misconnect, but I wouldn't expect success. If a delay has already been posted on IAD-ADD, you may have a better chance, but even then UA is likely to tell you to let ET fix it.

Some of the alternate routings are on *A carriers, others are not. I can handle some delay, but how much delay will UA force me to endure before it will consider putting me on non-*A carriers, such as Air Namibia? Any tips on how to approach UA about ET irrops discovered during the journey?

Thanks in advance.
There's no hard and fast rule for this. If you are flying in business, or if your UA Gold (and hence *G) status is still active, you may be able to push a little bit under *A IRROPS policy.

Still, for most of these situations, you'd be dealing with ET, not UA. Getting UA involved when it's not their responsibility isn't likely to help and may make things worse.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Ticket issued by UA, for which I paid a premium over an ET ticket. The purpose was to get UA protection in case of misconnects or cancellations.
That's neither how it works nor useful for day-of IRROPS.

There are alternate routings that would minimize any delay. My questions are: (1) to what extent is UA responsible for rerouting if the irrops (UA or ET) are identified before the journey begins (i.e., in SFO)?
If UA causes IRROPS in SFO or late delivery in IAD (causing a missed connection), UA is responsible for rerouting you to your next ticketed stopover. Otherwise it's all on ET.

(2) what are UA's obligations if ET irrops are identified on arrival in IAD?
None.

(3) does UA have any remaining obligation if a cancellation or misconnect happens in ADD?
No.

That's great, but if UA is going to deliver you to IAD on time, they're not doing anything different.

Some of the alternate routings are on *A carriers, others are not. I can handle some delay, but how much delay will UA force me to endure before it will consider putting me on non-*A carriers, such as Air Namibia?
No specific limit is provided. People have a lot more success when they find/propose the non-*A routing with available inventory than when they make the agent look for it. The guidance from *A is "customer's best interest" with a preference for same carrier, own carrier, *A, and OA in that order.

But unless UA cancels or severely delays SFO-IAD, UA won't be the one rebooking you.

Any tips on how to approach UA about ET irrops discovered during the journey?
Don't.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
But unless UA cancels or severely delays SFO-IAD, UA won't be the one rebooking you.

in reality, I've had UA agent playing dumb and trying to pass the buck and sending me to LH for rebooking at IAD. (the UA flight into IAD was 3 hours late due to mechanical issues, causing me to miss my LH flight)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: United 1K, Lufthansa Senator *,Marriott platinum
Award Travel not on United

Have booked a one way business saver award Marrakesh - Lisbon - Milan - Delhi.

The Marrakesh to Lisbon and Lisbon to Milan sectors are operated by TAP and Milan to Delhi Sector by Air India.

Transit time in Lisbon is 1 hour and 20 mins and in Milan is 1 hour and 45 mins.

If due to delay on part of TAP I were to miss my onward flights which airline would handle the rebookings ?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by RAMSWISS
Have booked a one way business saver award Marrakesh - Lisbon - Milan - Delhi.

The Marrakesh to Lisbon and Lisbon to Milan sectors are operated by TAP and Milan to Delhi Sector by Air India.

Transit time in Lisbon is 1 hour and 20 mins and in Milan is 1 hour and 45 mins.

If due to delay on part of TAP I were to miss my onward flights which airline would handle the rebookings ?
As a general rule, the airline that caused the missed connection is responsible for re-booking. So if TAP was delayed / cancelled, they should arrange to get you to your destination.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
As a general rule, the airline that caused the missed connection is responsible for re-booking. So if TAP was delayed / cancelled, they should arrange to get you to your destination.
The airline that caused the missed connection is responsible, but it's worth pointing out that the ticketing carrier and even sometimes the operator of the flight you missed can be of help too, if the late delivering carrier is not giving you good options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.