Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Note: There is a reasonable chance (increasing as this 3-class config is retrofitted to remove 3-class F) this configuration may be switch to Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 v5 / Polaris seats / 77J -- so United is often showing a weird seatmap for flights on these planes, reflecting the effort to convert to Polaris Business (without First Class), Premium Economy, and 10-across Y. A discussion of that seatmap is in this thread: Interim 772 seat map with Polaris & potentially Premium Economy (2018)

United has relabeled their site and Version 2 is now Version 1
This thread is about the 3 class 772 and there is only one version being used -- and it will be phased out with time.

Note: This Wiki and thread are devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2. There is a second thread, now locked, devoted to Version 1, with a shorter Wiki (this one addresses all questions, whereas that one addresses only Version 1-specific issues. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 2, although older posts may refer to Version 1 (they were split 8/30/14). Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...xperience.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ational-5.html

Here is the version 2 seat map:

Version 1 vs. Version 2
Until late 2016, there were two versions of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (No longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

Generally speaking, Version 1 was an "XD" configuration with a shorter range (777-200) that flew transatlantic routes (TATL). Version 2 has a longer range and are either an "XJ" or "XQ" configuration of the 777-200ER that flew transpacific routes (TPAC), as well as other longer routes, and now flies all international routes on which a pmUA 777 is used.

There are two noticeable differences between the two, but they are otherwise virtually indistinguishable to the typical passenger and the seating is essentially the same.
  1. Version 1 had crew rest seats towards the back of the economy plus cabin. Version 2 has crew rest below the main deck.
  2. In order to accommodate access to the crew rest area on Version 2, this version has one fewer lavatory in the mid-cabin (2 instead of 3). Yes, it is unfortunate that there is one less bathroom on a plane that typically flies some of the longest routes UA flies (6000+ miles).

Both Version 1 and Version 2 have virtually identical F and C cabins, and nearly identical Y cabins, so most information about seats applies to both versions.

Detailed seat maps are available at:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_3_New.php

AVOD (Audio Video On Demand) is available at every seat, the first UA plane to equipped this way. The first 777-200 in this configuration started flying in April 2010, and will probably take 18-24 months before the entire 777 international fleets are converted. The entire fleet of this plane is equipped with the AVOD system, although audio is no longer "on demand" and is instead a loop of songs in a playlist.

First Class (As UA has ceased selling 3-class F, this cabin will be treated as an extension of the Business cabin -- same service. Generally UA is allowing GS pre-select these seats prior to check-in)3-class First seats now considered Domestic F/Polaris Business & selectable by 1K/GSs
There are only eight First suites, instead of the 10 or 12 in the older 777 configurations. These suites are spacious, with a wide full-flat bed, and plenty of storage spaces. A big difference is the way the new seats are angled toward the aisle, as opposed to angling away. This makes couples traveling together have an awkward time if they take the middle pairs. For single travelers, for sure the individual suites along the side of the fuselage is better. Even for people traveling together, consider taking adjacent seats across the aisle, so you can see each other. Sharing of meals and quiet conversation would be difficult across the aisle would be difficult however.

The First glass galley is concentrated on the right side, so it is probably best to avoid the right aisle if given a choice, and consider seat 2A be the best on this configuration.

As for window view, all of the window suites have plenty of windows, but with the angling of the seats away from the window, it is much harder to look out of them.

Business Class
Equipped with full-flat 180-degree seats similar to the (now-familiar) ones on the 767-300 and 747-400. Divided into two cabins, front cabins has two rows, and three rows in the rear cabin, with the galley and lavatory between these two cabins.

In order to fit eight Business Class seats across, these seats are narrower than the previous recliners that are only 7 across. Even with the arm-rest that can be lowered, these seats do feel relatively snug. The benefit is a full flat sleeping surface, albeit forcing the inside passengers to step over a sleeping neighbor in order to access the aisle. A taller, nimble person may be able to climb over a sleeping neighbor without disrupting them, but for anyone with less height, short legs, or less general flexibility this could be difficult.

The general view is that the preferred row is row 6, since it is the first row and relatively far away from the facilities. If boarding is via L2, you turn left and most of the rest of the passengers will turn right and resulted in much less traffic through your area.

Note that the 777 cabin is about 9 inches narrower than the 747 cabin, with the exact same number of seats, so you will most likely notice the difference, perhaps most so as you are going down the aisles.

Half of the seats are rear-facing. Once the plane levels out you are unlikely to notice this. Only during takeoff and landing is the sensation different than you are accustomed to. Some people express a preference for the rear-facing seats because the pitch of the plane during level flight means your head is slightly elevated relative to your feet.

All four of the middle block seats in each row faces the same direction, the same for all five rows. For what its worth, note that 7A and 7K are missing a window at the foot end of the seat, against the bulkhead (but there are still two windows).

Row 8 is probably the least desirable, since it is closest to the facilities. 8C and 8H most likely would notice the most traffic to the lavatories and galley, and light from the lavs will shine on these seats when the door is opened. The view out of windows in this second cabin is either back toward the wing, or partially being blocked. 10A and 10K also have a middle window next to the seat as well. 10B and 10J might notice FA traffic through the near-by curtain more so than others.

Economy Plus
With the reconfiguration into 3-3-3 vs 2-5-2, there are only four pairs of seats in coach, and all are located in the Economy Plus section.

20AB and 20JK are probably the best coach seats, fully shielded by the bulk-head in front of them, with good legroom as well. 19DEG are the bassinet positions, so beware of that. The curtain separating Business Class is in front of you, but probably is far enough away that it is not really a problem. Since the facilities are in the back, you have a long way to go to the lavatory, but it also meant very little passenger traffic passing by your seat. You also get to be the first Economy passengers to deplane and through immigration. A couple downsides are that your view out the window is mostly the wing, and there is no under-seat storage in front of you. The AVOD system folks up from below the armrest, which means it must be stored during takeoff and landing.

21C and 21H are interesting, since they have unlimited legroom with no seat in front of them. This mean no under-seat storage in front, and trays are in the arm-rest, making the seat feel slightly narrower, and your monitor is mounted on a swing arm. With your feet extended, just beware that people and carts passing through might occasionally bump you.

There is a missing window around row 23 and 24, so choose another row if you want a view looking mostly at the wings. However, while Row 24 is missing a window, there is still one window available.

The other two pairs of seats are the last row of this Economy Plus cabin, at 31AB and 31JK. Note that there is only one window for 31A and 31J (rather than 1.5 to 2), and this row is near the lavatories, so certainly more traffic. You are also just in front of the emergency exit, so people sometimes congregate in the area just behind you.

Best to avoid 30C and 30H, since there is no seat behind them, and their seatbacks could be used as hand-grabs by passengers passing through, or occasionally being bumped by carts.

Power ports are available in all of economy, one port for the seat-pairs, and two for each three seat cluster. The outlet is mounted just under the seat cushion edge, so a bit hard to access unless you know where to look.

33ABC and 33HJK are the exit row seats, near the lavatory, and subjected to people congregating in front of you. No under-seat storage in front, and trays and LCD screens are in arm-rest and swing-arms respectively, making the seat feel narrower. 33A and 33K do not have a window, although they are probably far enough away from the exit slide that legroom is not really an issue.

34DEG is the bulk-head row, video monitor on the wall, and this is also the bassinet position. Decent legroom, but again no under-seat storage.

Economy Class

The galley is in the back of the plane, as well as another two lavatories, so there will be more traffic through the back of the plane.

Rows 43-46 probably are the last to be assigned, or often reserved for tour groups with no advance seat assignment. They might also be more likely to be unassigned on occasions, and therefore somewhat likely to have an adjacent seat open for you to gamble on. You would, however, be the last to deplane and through immigration, and the back of the plane does get a little more motion especially through turbulence.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itrvl
In my reading, I see that 6A is a very coveted seat, but I can't stand the thought of being "trapped" either.
I think it's the best seat in the cabin by a long ways. 6B may be empty the whole flight, or it may be occupied for only a portion.

But if you're concerned about aisle access, pick an aisle. 6J would be next best.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by itrvl
Sorry if this has been answered--I did search through the thread...

I am currently booked in 6A on UA895 from ORD-HKG. I was having trouble getting the upgrade to go through so I had to call to get it cleared. (Kept erroring out.) Anyway....when doing the seat assignments, the phone agent said "You want 6A. It's all by itself."

I don't think that's true. Isn't 6B a crew rest seat? So, I know it won't be full the entire flight, but how much of the flight will it be full? I am 5' 5" with short legs so I cannot climb over a person in the aisle seat.

In my reading, I see that 6A is a very coveted seat, but I can't stand the thought of being "trapped" either.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
That is my favorite seat. I don't feel trapped and have full access to aisle because crew has hardly been sitting there most of the time.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
That is my favorite seat. I don't feel trapped and have full access to aisle because crew has hardly been sitting there most of the time.
For our ORD-PEK flight at the end of this month and for the return, my wife and I chose seats 6H, 6J. Seat 6A was available last week on both flights but not anymore. Should I have chosen seats 6A and 6J then? We do not feel bad if we are not sitting close-by but we worry about easy access to the aisle. I guess I should have read this last week.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Million Miler; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Titanium; Priority Club Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think it's the best seat in the cabin by a long ways. 6B may be empty the whole flight, or it may be occupied for only a portion.

But if you're concerned about aisle access, pick an aisle. 6J would be next best.

Thanks! I think I'll take my chances! Those seats are so narrow and close to one another, it would be nice to have an empty seat next to me.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2017 at 10:36 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:18 am

I'm booked on an international red eye flight IAD -> MUC (5:30-7am) and I just got upgraded on my flight and I'm not sure what seat is the best.. Obviously sleep/sound is important here.

My choices are basically
6C-H, 7C-H, 8J, 8H, 9C-9H, 10C-10H.

I would think that 8J would be my go to (so only one person would have to get out over me) while still getting aisle access.. but how much louder is 8J vs being in the "mini-cabin" and going for like 6C or 6H?

My apologies if I get any of the terminology wrong, but I was hoping for some advice for the best red eye
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by DaTaco
I'm booked on an international red eye flight IAD -> MUC (5:30-7am) and I just got upgraded on my flight and I'm not sure what seat is the best.. Obviously sleep/sound is important here.

My choices are basically
6C-H, 7C-H, 8J, 8H, 9C-9H, 10C-10H.

I would think that 8J would be my go to (so only one person would have to get out over me) while still getting aisle access.. but how much louder is 8J vs being in the "mini-cabin" and going for like 6C or 6H?

My apologies if I get any of the terminology wrong, but I was hoping for some advice for the best red eye
8 is directly behind the two lavs in BF. Your call on whether that's desirable. I would go for 6C/H -- not too close to galley but in minicabin, faces backward so slightly better for sleeping, served food first, has no foot traffic because it's the first row of J. Only disadvantage is 6AB/JK are quite visible to you, but 6B is crew rest and usually empty anyway.

Also -- why would two people be trying to get out over you in 6C/H? Presumably 6D goes out via 6C and 6G via 6H, so it's one each.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by sfo789
8 is directly behind the two lavs in BF. Your call on whether that's desirable. I would go for 6C/H -- not too close to galley but in minicabin, faces backward so slightly better for sleeping, served food first, has no foot traffic because it's the first row of J. Only disadvantage is 6AB/JK are quite visible to you, but 6B is crew rest and usually empty anyway.

Also -- why would two people be trying to get out over you in 6C/H? Presumably 6D goes out via 6C and 6G via 6H, so it's one each.
Oh, Yeah you are right. I'm not sure why I was thinking 2 people would come over. I was just thinking about the block of people.

I was leaning towards 6C/H and I think I'll go for 6C as what you are saying makes sense.

I got 6A on my flight back but that was sadly booked for this one

Thanks for your quick reply!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I currently have selected 7K for my upcoming ORD to NRT flight (6A is booked - but I have it for my return). I'm traveling alone and like privacy, and seat guru indicated that this was reported to be a private seat. What do people here think? Will I have to deal with galley noise?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I currently have selected 7K for my upcoming ORD to NRT flight (6A is booked - but I have it for my return). I'm traveling alone and like privacy, and seat guru indicated that this was reported to be a private seat. What do people here think? Will I have to deal with galley noise?
IMO there are no good seats once 6A and 6J/K are gone. 7A/B and J/K are next best. You may or may not get galley noise, depends on the crew.

They can't upgrade these aircraft to Polaris soon enough for me.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IMO there are no good seats once 6A and 6J/K are gone. 7A/B and J/K are next best. You may or may not get galley noise, depends on the crew.

They can't upgrade these aircraft to Polaris soon enough for me.
+1.

If on the aisle already, I don't see any particular drawbacks to 6C or 6H either. You shouldn't have materially more people stepping over you, so I would take them over either 7B or 7J. I would of course prefer 7A/K because you can avoid being disturbed at all.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I am an aisle only guy so 6B/C/H/K are the primo, 6A/L for the window people. All pretty much for the same reason
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I am an aisle only guy so 6B/C/H/K are the primo, 6A/L for the window people. All pretty much for the same reason
You should never pick 6B for an international flight.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
You should never pick 6B for an international flight.
hehe, yeah, when I fly on that turd of a plane it is open, because 95% of the time it is the leftover 895 from HKG-SIN so it isn't saved for the pilot or crew rest.

Agreed, all except my specific use case 6B is typically blocked and can't be selected anyway.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Hi All,
I'm flying EWR-FRA later this week in the back of the bus. I spent a ton of time on this thread and I still can't tell if 29DEG are better coach seats due to crew rest. If someone can help me out:

1) are these the best seats in Y outside of row 20 (which isn't available)
2) does this flight qualify for crew rest? Or put another way, if I book row 29 now will I get booted?

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I like 7K a lot, and I haven't found galley noise or light to be any more of an issue than other seats - it's a bit around the corner of the bulkhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.