Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Note: There is a reasonable chance (increasing as this 3-class config is retrofitted to remove 3-class F) this configuration may be switch to Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 v5 / Polaris seats / 77J -- so United is often showing a weird seatmap for flights on these planes, reflecting the effort to convert to Polaris Business (without First Class), Premium Economy, and 10-across Y. A discussion of that seatmap is in this thread: Interim 772 seat map with Polaris & potentially Premium Economy (2018)

United has relabeled their site and Version 2 is now Version 1
This thread is about the 3 class 772 and there is only one version being used -- and it will be phased out with time.

Note: This Wiki and thread are devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2. There is a second thread, now locked, devoted to Version 1, with a shorter Wiki (this one addresses all questions, whereas that one addresses only Version 1-specific issues. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 2, although older posts may refer to Version 1 (they were split 8/30/14). Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...xperience.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ational-5.html

Here is the version 2 seat map:

Version 1 vs. Version 2
Until late 2016, there were two versions of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (No longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

Generally speaking, Version 1 was an "XD" configuration with a shorter range (777-200) that flew transatlantic routes (TATL). Version 2 has a longer range and are either an "XJ" or "XQ" configuration of the 777-200ER that flew transpacific routes (TPAC), as well as other longer routes, and now flies all international routes on which a pmUA 777 is used.

There are two noticeable differences between the two, but they are otherwise virtually indistinguishable to the typical passenger and the seating is essentially the same.
  1. Version 1 had crew rest seats towards the back of the economy plus cabin. Version 2 has crew rest below the main deck.
  2. In order to accommodate access to the crew rest area on Version 2, this version has one fewer lavatory in the mid-cabin (2 instead of 3). Yes, it is unfortunate that there is one less bathroom on a plane that typically flies some of the longest routes UA flies (6000+ miles).

Both Version 1 and Version 2 have virtually identical F and C cabins, and nearly identical Y cabins, so most information about seats applies to both versions.

Detailed seat maps are available at:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_3_New.php

AVOD (Audio Video On Demand) is available at every seat, the first UA plane to equipped this way. The first 777-200 in this configuration started flying in April 2010, and will probably take 18-24 months before the entire 777 international fleets are converted. The entire fleet of this plane is equipped with the AVOD system, although audio is no longer "on demand" and is instead a loop of songs in a playlist.

First Class (As UA has ceased selling 3-class F, this cabin will be treated as an extension of the Business cabin -- same service. Generally UA is allowing GS pre-select these seats prior to check-in)3-class First seats now considered Domestic F/Polaris Business & selectable by 1K/GSs
There are only eight First suites, instead of the 10 or 12 in the older 777 configurations. These suites are spacious, with a wide full-flat bed, and plenty of storage spaces. A big difference is the way the new seats are angled toward the aisle, as opposed to angling away. This makes couples traveling together have an awkward time if they take the middle pairs. For single travelers, for sure the individual suites along the side of the fuselage is better. Even for people traveling together, consider taking adjacent seats across the aisle, so you can see each other. Sharing of meals and quiet conversation would be difficult across the aisle would be difficult however.

The First glass galley is concentrated on the right side, so it is probably best to avoid the right aisle if given a choice, and consider seat 2A be the best on this configuration.

As for window view, all of the window suites have plenty of windows, but with the angling of the seats away from the window, it is much harder to look out of them.

Business Class
Equipped with full-flat 180-degree seats similar to the (now-familiar) ones on the 767-300 and 747-400. Divided into two cabins, front cabins has two rows, and three rows in the rear cabin, with the galley and lavatory between these two cabins.

In order to fit eight Business Class seats across, these seats are narrower than the previous recliners that are only 7 across. Even with the arm-rest that can be lowered, these seats do feel relatively snug. The benefit is a full flat sleeping surface, albeit forcing the inside passengers to step over a sleeping neighbor in order to access the aisle. A taller, nimble person may be able to climb over a sleeping neighbor without disrupting them, but for anyone with less height, short legs, or less general flexibility this could be difficult.

The general view is that the preferred row is row 6, since it is the first row and relatively far away from the facilities. If boarding is via L2, you turn left and most of the rest of the passengers will turn right and resulted in much less traffic through your area.

Note that the 777 cabin is about 9 inches narrower than the 747 cabin, with the exact same number of seats, so you will most likely notice the difference, perhaps most so as you are going down the aisles.

Half of the seats are rear-facing. Once the plane levels out you are unlikely to notice this. Only during takeoff and landing is the sensation different than you are accustomed to. Some people express a preference for the rear-facing seats because the pitch of the plane during level flight means your head is slightly elevated relative to your feet.

All four of the middle block seats in each row faces the same direction, the same for all five rows. For what its worth, note that 7A and 7K are missing a window at the foot end of the seat, against the bulkhead (but there are still two windows).

Row 8 is probably the least desirable, since it is closest to the facilities. 8C and 8H most likely would notice the most traffic to the lavatories and galley, and light from the lavs will shine on these seats when the door is opened. The view out of windows in this second cabin is either back toward the wing, or partially being blocked. 10A and 10K also have a middle window next to the seat as well. 10B and 10J might notice FA traffic through the near-by curtain more so than others.

Economy Plus
With the reconfiguration into 3-3-3 vs 2-5-2, there are only four pairs of seats in coach, and all are located in the Economy Plus section.

20AB and 20JK are probably the best coach seats, fully shielded by the bulk-head in front of them, with good legroom as well. 19DEG are the bassinet positions, so beware of that. The curtain separating Business Class is in front of you, but probably is far enough away that it is not really a problem. Since the facilities are in the back, you have a long way to go to the lavatory, but it also meant very little passenger traffic passing by your seat. You also get to be the first Economy passengers to deplane and through immigration. A couple downsides are that your view out the window is mostly the wing, and there is no under-seat storage in front of you. The AVOD system folks up from below the armrest, which means it must be stored during takeoff and landing.

21C and 21H are interesting, since they have unlimited legroom with no seat in front of them. This mean no under-seat storage in front, and trays are in the arm-rest, making the seat feel slightly narrower, and your monitor is mounted on a swing arm. With your feet extended, just beware that people and carts passing through might occasionally bump you.

There is a missing window around row 23 and 24, so choose another row if you want a view looking mostly at the wings. However, while Row 24 is missing a window, there is still one window available.

The other two pairs of seats are the last row of this Economy Plus cabin, at 31AB and 31JK. Note that there is only one window for 31A and 31J (rather than 1.5 to 2), and this row is near the lavatories, so certainly more traffic. You are also just in front of the emergency exit, so people sometimes congregate in the area just behind you.

Best to avoid 30C and 30H, since there is no seat behind them, and their seatbacks could be used as hand-grabs by passengers passing through, or occasionally being bumped by carts.

Power ports are available in all of economy, one port for the seat-pairs, and two for each three seat cluster. The outlet is mounted just under the seat cushion edge, so a bit hard to access unless you know where to look.

33ABC and 33HJK are the exit row seats, near the lavatory, and subjected to people congregating in front of you. No under-seat storage in front, and trays and LCD screens are in arm-rest and swing-arms respectively, making the seat feel narrower. 33A and 33K do not have a window, although they are probably far enough away from the exit slide that legroom is not really an issue.

34DEG is the bulk-head row, video monitor on the wall, and this is also the bassinet position. Decent legroom, but again no under-seat storage.

Economy Class

The galley is in the back of the plane, as well as another two lavatories, so there will be more traffic through the back of the plane.

Rows 43-46 probably are the last to be assigned, or often reserved for tour groups with no advance seat assignment. They might also be more likely to be unassigned on occasions, and therefore somewhat likely to have an adjacent seat open for you to gamble on. You would, however, be the last to deplane and through immigration, and the back of the plane does get a little more motion especially through turbulence.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:12 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Bulkhead seating on 777

I know that there must be a thread, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Traveling SFO>TPE in December with wife and 1.5 year old (fml), 777 Worldwide version 1, looks like. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on bulkhead seats row 34 (middle)? Bulkhead would be nice for the child, but also I am 6'3" and don't want to be paralyzed after the 13hr flight. Anyone ever see this row in person? Or use it? Seatguru doesn't give much insight, and neither did 1k voice line.

FYI, we will be strapping a baby seat onto the seat and crossing our fingers that she sleeps a little. Trying to avoid Captain Benadryl...but...

Thanks!

edit: I also see rows 33, but I cannot choose them! Seatguru says there is a bassinet somewhere in that row. They are exit rows. Odd.

Last edited by Weyland Yutani Corp; Aug 29, 2014 at 2:19 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by wunderpit
I know that there must be a thread, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Traveling SFO>TPE in December with wife and 1.5 year old (fml), 777 Worldwide version 1, looks like. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on bulkhead seats row 34 (middle)? Bulkhead would be nice for the child, but also I am 6'3" and don't want to be paralyzed after the 13hr flight. Anyone ever see this row in person? Or use it? Seatguru doesn't give much insight, and neither did 1k voice line.

FYI, we will be strapping a baby seat onto the seat and crossing our fingers that she sleeps a little. Trying to avoid Captain Benadryl...but...

Thanks!

edit: I also see rows 33, but I cannot choose them! Seatguru says there is a bassinet somewhere in that row. They are exit rows. Odd.
Seatguru isn't right on Row 33. they are exit rows with the typical large amount of legroom in front, usually filled by people waiting for the lavs.

Row 34 has decent legroom, but not much extra than any other E+ seat. However, the bulkhead probably makes it better with a baby. I'm pretty sure that's where the bassinet goes (34 DEF).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:14 am
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by drewguy
Seatguru isn't right on Row 33. they are exit rows with the typical large amount of legroom in front, usually filled by people waiting for the lavs.

Row 34 has decent legroom, but not much extra than any other E+ seat. However, the bulkhead probably makes it better with a baby. I'm pretty sure that's where the bassinet goes (34 DEF).
As long as it's typical E+ that's great! Thanks for for the info!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE

There are two "Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a PMUA 3 cabin 777" threads and the titles on both threads have been changed to reference which configuration you are looking for by including the seatmap numbers in the thread title however there is a myriad of information posted in both threads which could refer to the other version and it is way too time consuming to go thru both threads and move posts back and forth nor is it beneficial to combine both threads into one mega thread so please continue to use both threads as a reference but going forward, please use the seatmap numbers in the thread title and the corresponding links to United's 777 seatmaps to determine which thead to post in.

Thanks for your cooperation
goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
---
Flyertalk Thread 777 3 Cabin Version 2 (the thread you are reading)
Flyertalk Thread 777 3 Cabin Version 1

United 3 Cabin 777 Version 1 (8/40/218)
United 3 Cabin 777 Version 2 (8/40/221)

Last edited by goalie; Aug 30, 2014 at 5:36 pm
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: United Plat
UA872

TPE->SFO

7H or 9H?

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:01 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by drewguy

I checked it out on my recent flight to London. Row 34 will be great with the wife & kid...well...as great as it can get SFO>TPE with a 1 1/2 year old. Much thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by sfo3388
TPE->SFO

7H or 9H?

Thanks!
+1 to 7H for being closer to the front (or to the next exit) for easier disembarking and for being in a smaller mini-cabin than 9H.

+1 to 9H for being rear facing, which IMO is preferable.

I would take 9H if this was a flight on which I hoped to sleep a lot, 7H otherwise. FYI I catnap westbound TPAC (SFO-TPE) and sleep as much as possible eastbound (TPE-SFO).
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by harryhood
+1 to 7H for being closer to the front (or to the next exit) for easier disembarking and for being in a smaller mini-cabin than 9H.

+1 to 9H for being rear facing, which IMO is preferable.

I would take 9H if this was a flight on which I hoped to sleep a lot, 7H otherwise. FYI I catnap westbound TPAC (SFO-TPE) and sleep as much as possible eastbound (TPE-SFO).
Thank you very much! I will go with 9H.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
IAD-BRU, your recommendation on seat

Which seat would you vote for?

8A
8B
9C
9D
10B
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by hooterbif
Which seat would you vote for?

8A
8B
9C
9D
10B
All rear-facing, so that's not an issue.

Scratch 9D off first - interior middle.
10B goes next - faces right into Y cabin.

From there, my personal preference would be 8A. I prefer a window, and I'd rather 8A than 10K because you're looking at less of the wing.

If you want aisle, I'd go 8B over 9C, because you're not next to a bank of 3 other people. If however, the flight is really empty so it's possible 9D remains empty, then I'd take 9C, simply to be a touch further from the lav (which I have not found to be a noise issue sitting in 8A and 8K).

Last edited by drewguy; Jan 15, 2015 at 10:41 am Reason: fix typo
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Thanks Drew.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
So 1st time on this aircraft going from HKG-ORD. I'm looking to sleep and be somewhat rested as I'll be starting a new job two days after the flight going to DSM ultimately. I prefer windows seats and can pick any E+ seat which do you all recommend.

Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by SOORBraves
So 1st time on this aircraft going from HKG-ORD. I'm looking to sleep and be somewhat rested as I'll be starting a new job two days after the flight going to DSM ultimately. I prefer windows seats and can pick any E+ seat which do you all recommend.

20AB/JK have huge amounts of legroom and no one milling infront of you
Just take down your carryon after takeoff to use as a leg rest as required
about the only Y seats where no one will bother you about getting up
Tables are small and seat width is a little low because of table in the arm rest

23A/K
Has missing window, easiest to lean against and sleep

I will always book one of the above... but at t-45min if there are some empty rows somewhere and no standby's on the list I will move and take up a row for myself
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:49 pm

TPE-SFO

UA872 TPE-SFO

6A or 6H?

6B is taken, but I thought 6A and 6B are reserved for crew rest? If I pick 6A, would I lose it later?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388
UA872 TPE-SFO

6A or 6H?

6B is taken, but I thought 6A and 6B are reserved for crew rest? If I pick 6A, would I lose it later?
I believe 6A is only sometimes reserved for crew rest, depending on the flight. Should be low risk of losing it.

But 6H if you want rear-facing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.