Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1Ks on M fares: What's the upgrade deal (Intl + Domestic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat

Hi All,

1K here and I'm totally confused on the deal with M fares in different markets. The more questions I ask of reservations agents, the more unique answers I get.

Domestic (non-ps): If 1K books M fare, will upgrade to first if PN is available.
This is the most straight-forward to me. Click "instant upgrade" on the website if PN is available. Right?

Premium Service flights: 1K does not get upgrade to PN if on M fare? But I've had offers when booking in H which appear to upgrade fare to M and will move to PN... Clarity please?

Intl: M fares do not get upgrades for 1K???
But I just had a reservations agent read me something stating that M fares for 1Ks on international are upgraded within 5 days. I ticketed M and was upgraded to PN (without use of miles or SWU). If you buy M internationally can you appropriately get PN/Business or was this a mistake?

Thanks for your thoughts/clarity on this!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Instant upgrades, from what I understand, are for any service (domestic, PS, international).

As a 1k, I've gotten an instant upgrade (at time of booking) on an M fare on a PS flight. I did have to call in to get the upgrade though. It didn't happen automatically online.

On a domestic Y fare, I was instant upgrade qualified but didn't get the upgrade until the 100 window opened. JN availability wasn't available when I booked.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uapremier
Domestic (non-ps): If 1K books M fare, will upgrade to first if PN is available.
This is the most straight-forward to me. Click "instant upgrade" on the website if PN is available. Right?
Correct. And if PN isn't available at booking you can track the P bucket and process the upgrade if it opens up.
Premium Service flights: 1K does not get upgrade to PN if on M fare? But I've had offers when booking in H which appear to upgrade fare to M and will move to PN... Clarity please?
My understanding is that it isn't supposed to work but that there are instances where it is.

Intl: M fares do not get upgrades for 1K???
But I just had a reservations agent read me something stating that M fares for 1Ks on international are upgraded within 5 days. I ticketed M and was upgraded to PN (without use of miles or SWU). If you buy M internationally can you appropriately get PN/Business or was this a mistake?
"International" is a bad term to use as there are many international routes which are eligible. What matters is if a route is CPU-eligible or not. Those which are can also be M-Up'd.

Originally Posted by skylane
Instant upgrades, from what I understand, are for any service (domestic, PS, international).
Nope. Only CPU-eligible routes are supposed to receive this benefit per the published rules.

Originally Posted by skylane
On a domestic Y fare, I was instant upgrade qualified but didn't get the upgrade until the 100 window opened. JN availability wasn't available when I booked.
If you set up an alert for the J bucket then you can process that upgrade online or over the phone rather than waiting.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12

If you set up an alert for the J bucket then you can process that upgrade online or over the phone rather than waiting.
I registered on this website but for some reason I am unable to log in! Does it take a while (day?) to process the registration?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.